Moved Thread Buddy or Ablett Snr?

Buddy or Ablett Snr?

• Buddy

Votes: 33 24.4%
  • Ablett Snr

Votes: 102 75.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GAS was in a great team too. That’s not an excuse. They got to 4 GFs man, if that team wasn’t good then the comp was weak af. You can’t have it both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Geelong's defence was always their achilles heel in finals during Snr's career. Half the side s**t the bed in the '89 gf, that's why Geelong were 6 goals down most of the day, it's a miracle they only lost by a goal and that was down to one player.

That doesn't take into account that for 3/4 of Ablett's career he was played at HFF, Wing,
He also played FF during that time.

In fact in modern parlance he would probably just be called a Full Forward even in the 80s, as most FFs these days have some flexibility. He was their main key forward probably his whole career at Geelong.

Fortunately we have the stats and you can reliably tell how close he played to goal by the percentage of his disposals that were scoring shots

Last edited:

In 84-96 terms, Franklin kicks about 15% more goals compared to his current total. This is based on percentage change calculations on the average AFL scoring between the two eras.

This puts him down as probably the top goalscorer of all time and this is without playing as a permanent full forward as well.

I think we really do underrate his achievements.

I think Snr is the best forward of all time, then Lockett, Buddy and Dunstal. I think that’s probably the consensus. Maybe only swap the last two around. Even you guys would agree with me here surely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Ablett is the best footballer of all time (well in the almost 50 years I've been old enough to know what was going on)

Stupid, stupid argument, dick measuring polls against players of different era’s shouldn’t be allowed.

Geelong's defence was always their achilles heel in finals during Snr's career. Half the side s**t the bed in the '89 gf, that's why Geelong were 6 goals down most of the day, it's a miracle they only lost by a goal and that was down to one player.

We never got enough from Stoneham in the finals. I'm talking pre leg injury.
Needed goals from him in the 1992 GF. Obviously Eagles had a great back line but for a player of his quality, he never did enough in the big games.

Steve Hocking was undersized against Brereton but always tried hard. Straight ahead player who played hard, and with a split testicle. Genuinely tough player whose on-field ability is too often forgotten compared to his brother (Garry was better, but Steve played 199 games), and his off-field history at the AFL
Tim Darcy was unspectacular but did his best and could swing forward (as he did in the Semi)
Michael Schulze did his best but was never great
Spiro Malakellis was never great. Had a good first year, but that's about it
Bruce Lindner was brilliant on the half back line in the Grand Final, but was too enigmatic. His Semi Final was a shocker
Would have been Mark Yeates' last game, had he not crunched Dermott, but did his best with limited ability

I think with better coaching, Geelong's backline could have been a lot better - but Blight played an all-out attacking game. Hawthorn's midfield was more settled. Couch was missing for most of the first quarter, while Hocking and Bruns were more intent on fighting Dipper and giving away free kicks

With how many forward 50 entries Hawthorn had, pretty hard to keep repelling when the midfield broke down

Steve Hocking was undersized against Brereton but always tried hard. Straight ahead player who played hard, and with a split testicle. Genuinely tough player whose on-field ability is too often forgotten compared to his brother (Garry was better, but Steve played 199 games), and his off-field history at the AFL
Tim Darcy was unspectacular but did his best and could swing forward (as he did in the Semi)
Michael Schulze did his best but was never great
Spiro Malakellis was never great. Had a good first year, but that's about it
Bruce Lindner was brilliant on the half back line in the Grand Final, but was too enigmatic. His Semi Final was a shocker
Would have been Mark Yeates' last game, had he not crunched Dermott, but did his best with limited ability

I think with better coaching, Geelong's backline could have been a lot better - but Blight played an all-out attacking game. Hawthorn's midfield was more settled. Couch was missing for most of the first quarter, while Hocking and Bruns were more intent on fighting Dipper and giving away free kicks

With how many forward 50 entries Hawthorn had, pretty hard to keep repelling when the midfield broke down

SHocking is 2cm shorter than Brereton, Brereton was half dead. Dermie took two contested marks on SHocking and kicked two goals.

Tim Darcy a good honest tryer who was severely undersized. Same height as Dermie but was generally playing on opposition gorillas.

Michael Schulz was a very limited / basic footballer. Would punch the ball instead of mark when 20m in the clear.

Bruce Lindner got plenty of it on the day of the '89 gf, but was panicky and rushed all day which was surprising for a player of his class. Overwhelmed by the occasion I would suggest.

I'll never say a bad word about Spiro, I used to play on him and Tony regularly up to and including u/18s. They used to change on me from on ball.

Look at Hawthorn's named defence on the day for comparison.

Andy Collins Chris Langford Gary Ayres
Scott Maginness Chris Mew John Kennedy

5 stars.

Last edited:
Look at Hawthorn's named defence on the day for comparison.

Andy Collins Chris Langford Gary Ayres
Scott Maginness Chris Mew John Kennedy

5 stars.

Seemed to always be the case when Geelong made grand finals.
West Coast's back six.
Brennan-Jakovich-McKenna
Worsfold-McIntosh-Pyke

or Carlton's

Dean-Silvagni-McKay
Christou-Sexton-Hanna

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also played FF during that time.

In fact in modern parlance he would probably just be called a Full Forward even in the 80s, as most FFs these days have some flexibility. He was their main key forward probably his whole career at Geelong.

Fortunately we have the stats and you can reliably tell how close he played to goal by the percentage of his disposals that were scoring shots

He had a high percentage of his disposals as scoring shots because he could kick so far on both feet. He would also run a lot to get himself in range.

Ablett didn't have any flaws.

I cant believe this is a serious poll question btw.

SNR had everything. Power, speed, strength, could kick 60+ both feet and take marks in any way shape of form.

No player I've seen comes remotely close.

If he played in today's game he'd have kicked 2,000 goals.

I was at the game where he kicked 14 against Richmond playing on a wing/HF. He was unstoppable. He also tore Dipper a new one the year Dipper won the Brownlow. If you watch the highlights of that game Ablett made Dipper look like Cale Morton.

A once in a lifetime talent.

See, one could feasibly draw from your observations that you are biased. 2000 goals in an era when nobody kicks a hundred a year?

Playing now as a forward is significantly harder than it was back in Abletts day. Go watch some replays, after Ablett kicks his 5th of any game you'll be wondering why the hell the coach of the oppo doesn't put numbers in front of him to clog up the leading lanes. Same with Dunstall. Dunstall would not have been a great in today's game as there just isn't the same space to lead into.

I am certain there would have been players in the 80s and 90s that would have been more suited to the game today, more professional, more zoned, but smallish key forwards certainly are not.

Back