Club Focus Carlton 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Ed Curnow and Fogarty almost certainly gone at season’s end.

Cuningham Plowman Marchbank Honey Dow Philp all playing for their careers.

McGovern should be on a heavily performance based contract from next season and Martin likewise the season after.
Both undeniable talents so the size of their pay packets going forward will be down to performance.

Hard to imagine Docherty or Silvagni going anywhere, leaving De Koning and Young after a terrific first season as the priority re-signing’s with youngsters Motlop and Kemp likely formalities in due course during the season.

The list is in good shape and if i were to be granted one free wish it would be for an explosive half forward/mid , eg, Dusty, DeGoey, Greene etc …

The list is in good shape and if i were to be granted one free wish it would be for an explosive half forward/mid , eg, Dusty, DeGoey, Greene etc …
if the rest of the mids pick up the slack and/or stay fit bit we could give cripps more minutes here - not explosive in the same way but just as hard to match up on, especially if he is reminded when to to score and when to pass.

Agree though, it's probably the position that's changed the way football is played in the past 10 years, especially if you have a watercarrier to double down on defensive running and give them freedom to push forward.

Ed Curnow and Fogarty almost certainly gone at season’s end.

Cuningham Plowman Marchbank Honey Dow Philp all playing for their careers.

McGovern should be on a heavily performance based contract from next season and Martin likewise the season after.
Both undeniable talents so the size of their pay packets going forward will be down to performance.

Hard to imagine Docherty or Silvagni going anywhere, leaving De Koning and Young after a terrific first season as the priority re-signing’s with youngsters Motlop and Kemp likely formalities in due course during the season.

Carltons actual squad is decent.

What Carlton need Right now is what Freo got in 2022: An overdue finals win to give new Belief to the side. Some Predict Carlton to make top 4. I say Carlton will finish 5th to 8th and win a final.

Would be interesting who Carlton face in the finals, if they make it. Carltons List has experience. A lot of blokes aged 24-27. They lack finals experience. Carlton havent played finals since 2013.

When Freo won their elimination final vs the dogs in 2022, 19 of those 23 dockers players had their 1st finals win.

Carlton 43 man squad has got a few players that have played and won finals at other clubs. They are Andrew McGovern (Crows), Blake Arces (Fremantle), Nick Newman (Sydney) , George Hewett (Swans) and Lewis Young (Bulldogs)

Not sure if they are still around but I thought they changed their name to Flagmantle this year around round 10?
You'd want to get that tattoo removed but it's always a nice feeling over here when any hype for a team is generated from actual games played rather than from teams training the house down in pre-season. (like some other, ahem, Victorian teams).

You'd want to get that tattoo removed but it's always a nice feeling over here when any hype for a team is generated from actual games played rather than from teams training the house down in pre-season. (like some other, ahem, Victorian teams).

For sure. Carlton fans had no reason to be excited by a 9-3 start and a top 4 position after round 13. After all these weren't actual games played.

Wins over Richmond, Dogs, Sydney or Fremantle weren't actual games either.

Thank god you're here to keep us humble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if they are still around but I thought they changed their name to Flagmantle this year around round 10?

Flagmantle, Flogmantle whatever.

Thugmantle was back in 2005-7 under the chris connolly coaching era where both Matt and Josh Carr were using underhanded tactics in the midfield. lol

For sure. Carlton fans had no reason to be excited by a 9-3 start and a top 4 position after round 13. After all these weren't actual games played.

I personally have Nothing personal against your mob. Maybe a small dislike towards some carlton bigfooty fans but nothing major.

Funny thing was Both Your mob and Saints were 8-3 after 11 games. Both ended up struggling and just outside the top 8.

I predict Carlton to have a similiar season to what I think of Port adelaide: Made finals but not top 4. Get a home final at 5th or 6th and win an elim final.

Fair enough but ultimately, they were talked up in the pre-season, then failed to make the finals. Rinse this cycle and repeat for the last 5 years. I have nothing against Carlton, and think they do have a good list, just can’t work out how every season they are talked up and every season they come crashing down. Isn’t the old adage that it’s better to under promise and over deliver (rather than the opposite).

All s**t stirring aside, Carlton definitely do have a list that is worthy of a top 4 finish. Obviously there is more to success than the ability of the players on your team. Will be interesting to see how they go this year. I have a soft spot for Jack Silvagni. Always gives his all and would be tough to live up to his dad’s reputation.

Fair enough but ultimately, they were talked up in the pre-season, then failed to make the finals. Rinse this cycle and repeat for the last 5 years. I have nothing against Carlton, and think they do have a good list, just can’t work out how every season they are talked up and every season they come crashing down. Isn’t the old adage that it’s better to under promise and over deliver (rather than the opposite).

5 years huh? So even allowing for the 5th year of being talked up being this coming season, we must have been talked up after our 2 win wooden spoon winning 2018 season. Rising to 16th in 2019 would certainly have given rise to finals talk.

I'm just wondering if there is a touch of hyperbole to your claims.

5 years huh? So even allowing for the 5th year of being talked up being this coming season, we must have been talked up after our 2 win wooden spoon winning 2018 season. Rising to 16th in 2019 would certainly have given rise to finals talk.

I'm just wondering if there is a touch of hyperbole to your claims.
Well, if you are going to argue semantics. I reckon they’ve been actively promoting themselves in pre seasons much longer than 5 years. Here is a sports marketing lecturer analysing their “Can you smell what we are cooking campaign” in 2009.
Campaign Praised by Sports Marketing Lecturer
There seemed to be some permutation of this theme by your PR team every pre- season (that mostly appeared to be swallowed by Vic media).
I am not the only one that thinks this. Here is an entire article on why Carlton’s over promising and under delivering over the past 10 years has not been beneficial to the club.
Yes, it’s been written by that click-bait psuedo journo Kain Cornes, but he does make some valid points that are hard to ignore. Carlton has been sucked in by trying to predict and guarantee the future, again

Well, if you are going to argue semantics. I reckon they’ve been actively promoting themselves in pre seasons much longer than 5 years. Here is a sports marketing lecturer analysing their “Can you smell what we are cooking campaign” in 2009.
Campaign Praised by Sports Marketing Lecturer
There seemed to be some permutation of this theme by your PR team every pre- season (that mostly appeared to be swallowed by Vic media).
I am not the only one that thinks this. Here is an entire article on why Carlton’s over promising and under delivering over the past 10 years has not been beneficial to the club.
Yes, it’s been written by that click-bait psuedo journo Kain Cornes, but he does make some valid points that are hard to ignore. Carlton has been sucked in by trying to predict and guarantee the future, again

You're using a membership campaign slogan from 14 years ago?

Nobody is guaranteeing anything. However, the whole AFL community believes we should be making finals based on our list.

I'm sorry that it upsets you to hear that.

You're using a membership campaign slogan from 14 years ago?

Nobody is guaranteeing anything. However, the whole AFL community believes we should be making finals based on our list.

I'm sorry that it upsets you to hear that.
Not getting into a tit for tat on here but you are the person that argued time lines in this debate - by saying that your club had not been talking yourself up in pre seasons for the last 5 years. I am not at all upset about it (more bemused why they do it. Surely it just puts more unwanted pressure on the playing group). Anyway, best of luck for the season..

Not getting into a tit for tat on here but you are the person that argued time lines in this debate - by saying that your club had not been talking yourself up in pre seasons for the last 5 years. I am not at all upset about it (more bemused why they do it. Surely it just puts more unwanted pressure on the playing group). Anyway, best of luck for the season..

You're the one that stated it had been happening for the last 5 years. When I corrected that, you went back 14 years and a membership slogan.

My point is you seem to feel that something has been happening more often than it has. Not sure why this sticks with you so much, so as to think it happens more than it does.

You're the one that stated it had been happening for the last 5 years. When I corrected that, you went back 14 years and a membership slogan.

My point is you seem to feel that something has been happening more often than it has. Not sure why this sticks with you so much, so as to think it happens more than it does.
Mate, something does happen often - the talking up of Carlton's prospects every pre-season by its PR department. It took me all of 10 seconds research to figure out that this has happend for the best part of 10-15 years.
First it was "Can you smell what we're cooking" followed by "The Carlton Way" followed by "The Blue Print", and along with these slogans comes predictions to members that premierships are coming in the next few years.

I don't have a problem with it. Just a little bemused as it seems it creates unwanted pressure on a playing group that has not had any success (at least in the last 10 years). If you want to put your head in the sand and pretend it hasn't happened then that is up to you.

Mate, something does happen often - the talking up of Carlton's prospects every pre-season by its PR department. It took me all of 10 seconds research to figure out that this has happend for the best part of 10-15 years.
First it was "Can you smell what we're cooking" followed by "The Carlton Way" followed by "The Blue Print", and along with these slogans comes predictions to members that premierships are coming in the next few years.

I don't have a problem with it. Just a little bemused as it seems it creates unwanted pressure on a playing group that has not had any success (at least in the last 10 years). If you want to put your head in the sand and pretend it hasn't happened then that is up to you.

Lol. Membership slogans 😂 clutching at straws

"The Time Has Come" - Freo 2018 (and every year after '95)

Lol. Membership slogans 😂 clutching at straws

"The Time Has Come" - Freo 2018 (and every year after '95)
Well, all I can tell you is that from a neutrals perspective, Carlton seems to get more hype in the pre season (from pundits, media, and yes even their PR department) than any other Victorian team that has not had much success in the last 10 years.
More than Essendon, North, St kilda for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back