Constructive discussion on improving the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped doom thread. Think it might be handy with the current situation but I'd also like to have somewhere were their can be some construction discussion (and maybe some blind optimism) about what can be done to rectify our situation:

$13 million debt
No training facilities
Poor on field performance
Cannot retain players
Low membership and crowds

So what can be done?

It seems like one problem is going to be crossed off the list. When it's available for use will be another story but it's surely got to be reassuring for the playing group.
I think our financial situation has surely reached a point where the AFL has to offer assistance. What should they offer? What would offer the most help? Obviously clearing the debt would be ideal. An interest free loan would also be desirable, possibly along with addition of some extra fees to attract some development staff from some top clubs.
Crowds will stay low until we start winning again. That much is certain, so how do we get back to a winning team? With better facilities and more qualified development and coaching staff we should hopefully be able to improve our win/loss ratio. I still believe the list is talented, just lacking a key forward and perhaps some direction/experience/confidence.

It's going to be a long battle but I'd love to read some suggestions or thoughts on what posters here think could, should or must be done, from both the AFL and the Lions.

Victorian clubs always pressure the AFL into change when things interstate don't suit them. #1 problem of ours for a long time is the "Go home" factor, which is really the "Go to a footy state" factor as we saw with Mitch Clark and now rumours Aish is considering a move to Melbourne. Come draft time any high draftee coming to the lions will immediately be placed on most clubs trade wish lists, and this year for instance assuming we get the #1 pick you will likely get the top teams like the Hawks "interviewing" Schache to simply touch base as no matter how well our draftees go they will always leave on the cheap. Im surprised something hasn't been done after the Polec fiasco where he was chased hard by Port & Crows with personal tours infront of media etc.. but come trade time the "Winning" club Port suddenly didn't rate him.

So we need to pressure the AFL into better protection of high draft pick players!!!

How??? Well simply by ensuring that clubs that come chasing our youngsters need to know they will give up adequate value and not put up take it or leave it deals. Draftees should have a Minimum trade value set on them for their first 3-4 years. For Instance, Teams looking to trade for Aish will need to give up points to the value of pick 7 using the bidding pick scoring...as a minimum.

Sure it wont stop youngsters leave but it will help stop teams getting trade raped with talented youngsters leaving

Crowds: Simply fix the draw. Crowd drawing teams like Hawks, Pies, Richmond etc... should all travel more to promote the game. ATM it feels like it is some sort of Benefit the AFL gives us when even one of the big clubs comes north

Crowds: Simply fix the draw. Crowd drawing teams like Hawks, Pies, Richmond etc... should all travel more to promote the game. ATM it feels like it is some sort of Benefit the AFL gives us when even one of the big clubs comes north

Fixture definitely needs equalizing but clubs have been saying that for years and been ignored. Looking at the comparisons on how much more revenue a Friday night game brings in for a club than a Saturday game, at least one next year would be appreciated. I know we haven't performed historically on them but Suns are down the bottom too. How about a Friday Night Q-Clash at the Gabba next year?

Bumped doom thread. Think it might be handy with the current situation but I'd also like to have somewhere were their can be some construction discussion (and maybe some blind optimism) about what can be done to rectify our situation:

$13 million debt
No training facilities
Poor on field performance
Cannot retain players
Low membership and crowds

So what can be done?

It seems like one problem is going to be crossed off the list. When it's available for use will be another story but it's surely got to be reassuring for the playing group.
I think our financial situation has surely reached a point where the AFL has to offer assistance. What should they offer? What would offer the most help? Obviously clearing the debt would be ideal. An interest free loan would also be desirable, possibly along with addition of some extra fees to attract some development staff from some top clubs.
Crowds will stay low until we start winning again. That much is certain, so how do we get back to a winning team? With better facilities and more qualified development and coaching staff we should hopefully be able to improve our win/loss ratio. I still believe the list is talented, just lacking a key forward and perhaps some direction/experience/confidence.

It's going to be a long battle but I'd love to read some suggestions or thoughts on what posters here think could, should or must be done, from both the AFL and the Lions.
I actually think we deserve a retention allowance of some sort....

I actually think we deserve a retention allowance of some sort....

I wonder if Eddie Amin ever thinks about how he screwed us out of that and chuckles. Discount for all teams based on the amount of interstate players on your list sounds like a fair proposition to me.

Fixture definitely needs equalizing but clubs have been saying that for years and been ignored. Looking at the comparisons on how much more revenue a Friday night game brings in for a club than a Saturday game, at least one next year would be appreciated. I know we haven't performed historically on them but Suns are down the bottom too. How about a Friday Night Q-Clash at the Gabba next year?
I love this idea. Early in the year would be nice. Say Round 2?

By the way pulpdriver, you mentioned in the OP that the training facilities issue is going to be fixed. Have I missed something here?

from the 'New facilities? Update: Springfield DOA' thread
1031-swift-300x234.jpg

Finally!

I wonder if Eddie Amin ever thinks about how he screwed us out of that and chuckles. Discount for all teams based on the amount of interstate players on your list sounds like a fair proposition to me.

Liked just for "Eddie Amin".

My first thought when I saw the thread title was kind of a 'good luck with that' and expecting some quality thread derailments.

But since I am posting on here I had best toss in something constructive at the same time...

I suspect that
Quality training facilities will assist with
Retaining players (this having been cited as a source of player dissatisfaction previously) which would assist with
Improved onfield performance which would impact on
Membership and crowd levels which would impact on
Ability to deal with debt (also assisted by the not having to pay Gabba rent for our offices ... I am assuming that the training facilities will come with office space as well)

As already mentioned there are objective issues around our non-footy state status etc and would heartily endorse the reintroduction of the same retention allowance that the whole league had access to ...

I also think that the quality training facilities would be better used with a more professional support staff setup...

Training facilities - the most important piece of the puzzle. Needs to be best facilities in QLD - world class no less
Fixture that sees big clubs play at the GABBA more often - Increased Friday/Saturday games
Increase in experienced coaches - might have to move 1 or 2 coaches on.
Increased fan engagement - has improved but I guess it's hard to engage fans when we are at the bottom of the ladder and lack funds
Really need the AFL to just give us $50m on interest free loan - not going to happen but would be nice to pay off debts and recruit coaches/build
facilities

From a purely football performance side of things, I remember reading an article a couple of years ago about Rocky needing to work on his fitness in his first couple of seasons, and apparently he did a camp with some Boxing trainer in St. Kilda over the off season. Wonder whether it would sending all the boys to do that training during the pre-season cause it clearly worked wonders for Rocky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would look at why so many injuries.. I know some are bad luck although its killed the season.
A root cause on each you would think would be done. Is it the Gabba cricket wicket, training ground etc.
Fitness wise the players cannot run out 4 quarters, are the injuries linked to poor fitness.

Perhaps the lions could consider managing some players like the crows did with Dangerfield? Especially KKP's who you wouldn't expect to play a heap of AFL games in the first few years. For Instance, let a taller player spend more time at home and apply to have them develop in the VFL/SANFL etc... Would be great for development on the ressies gameday point of view, and let some kids ease into living away from home

Remove this Banner Ad

Back