2nds Crows in the SANFL Elimination/Qualifying Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

What's Joel Tippett's kicking like? His action is 10x better than Kurt's

Certainly far more fluent, its such a surprise seeing him kick, always expect him to kick like Kurt. Certainly benefits in a way from being that bit shorter than Kurt in that he isn't quite as awkward in his kicking and running styles. Just isn't quite the marking beast that Kurt is at 203cm and 105+ kgs and seems to be a little more laid back, where Kurt is the ultimate competitor (at least up until the past few weeks).

Both Laird and Crouch had good games. Crouch is a beast. Only 17 and able to smash full grown adults with tackles. Real strong inside player. Really is a taller stronger version of Luke Hodge. Hes gonna be a gun.
Laird shows such poise when he plays. He is also going to be as good for the club as Reily and Dogga.

Both Laird and Crouch had good games. Crouch is a beast. Only 17 and able to smash full grown adults with tackles. Real strong inside player. Really is a taller stronger version of Luke Hodge. Hes gonna be a gun.
Laird shows such poise when he plays. He is also going to be as good for the club as Reily and Dogga.

Crouch is 18, has been since the beginning of January, but still a pretty fair effort. Although, doesn't really have the elite leg of Hodge, appears to be a good kick of the footy with plenty of distance, but not quite elite. I liken him to Joel Selwood, just an inside contested beast who knows how to move through traffic and dish off to advantage.

West Adelaide have a very good history (don't go for West Adelaide mind you) of looking after our 17 year old recruits. Ricciuto, Dangerfield and now Crouch.
Are you saying we're going to lose Dangerfield and Crouch will wear 32?

Yes I am.

When you go to bed tonight and wake up in the morning, you will wake in an alternate universe called bizzaro world where the AFL allows every player who has played for West Adelaide to wear the number 32. :eek:

Crouch already wears No. 2, and add to that the 3 Brownlow's he'll recieve in the future... The numbers 3 and 2 would be covered easily without having to wear the actual guernsey #32! :D

Crouch is 18, has been since the beginning of January, but still a pretty fair effort. Although, doesn't really have the elite leg of Hodge, appears to be a good kick of the footy with plenty of distance, but not quite elite. I liken him to Joel Selwood, just an inside contested beast who knows how to move through traffic and dish off to advantage.

Granted I haven't watched enough of him to make a definitive call but his kicking is bloody good and I would be happy for him to be kicking the ball into the F50. It did take Hodgey a couple of years to make it ( I still remember the Hawks being derided for picking the dud when the picked Hodgey over Moneybags the Mercenary).

Still, in saying that if he was as good as Selwood, I'd be very happy with that pick

wow, an 18 year old stepping up in a final when the game is on the line...that's impressive.

As for Joel Tippett, haven't seen him play but we do need another tall defender....he must be worth a close look (and he would probably appreciate the AFC giving him a contract).

wow, an 18 year old stepping up in a final when the game is on the line...that's impressive.

As for Joel Tippett, haven't seen him play but we do need another tall defender....he must be worth a close look (and he would probably appreciate the AFC giving him a contract).

we wouldnt even need to waste anymore paper in printing the contract either. amend the first name, cross out a zero and we'd have a deal.

Sounds like Knights had another ripper game. Think he can play a good role next year for us.

Coburg need a forward flanker?

Nah, reckon he'll be a good pick up. Needs a decent preseason and a change of scenery.

I went to the game and watched Knights closely today. Did not rate his game at all. Picked up 30 largely meaningless possessions, more interested in padding his stats than doing anything constructive. Really selfish game.

Johnston was excellent. Didn't do anything outrageous but took several good marks and kicked beautifully to end up with 4.2. Of the two he missed, one was from the Tony Hall pocket and the other was from well outside 50 into the breeze and only just missed. One concern I have is that for a bloke who is largely a lead, mark, kick player, he doesn't have great pace or reach, and is only 190cm... I just fear he may be an inch too short to play that role at AFL level. Wonderful kick of the footy though.

Speaking of being an inch too short for their role at AFL level... James Craig. Excellent tap ruck man but that's it. At 195cm, he needs more strings to his bow.

Joyce didn't get heaps of it but didn't do much wrong either. Seemed to have limited TOG and in a small forward role which doesn't come naturally. Showed nice hands once or twice, and took one intercept mark before making a good decision and finding a target at the top of the 50. Gave away a free 50m off the ball, didn't see what for though.

On draft watch, Sam Mayes. That is all. Kicked a really classy snap on his left, and no exaggeration had at least 4 goal assists. If we end up in the top 10 in the draft, I'd love to see him on stage in a Crows guernsey. Byron Sumner was a class above running off half back for WWT as well.

Knightmare reckons Crouch would have gone 2-4 this year. Brilliant manouvre last year. Makes up for wasting the Bock pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joel Tippet didn't look terrible. He's got some talent. 197cm.

Maybe Kurt is just waiting for us to offer the Tippet brothers a package deal? :rolleyes:

Did Gold Coast delist Joel last year so he could come down to Adelaide and bring Kurt home. Perhaps it was Gold Coast that offered the Tippett brothers a joint deal for 2013:rolleyes:

No one will ever convince me different that a Crows reserve game could be as beneficial as the SANFL qualifying final they played in today. Playing against hardened men who really meant business and didn't give an inch today really would have been the making of those players today. Crouch took time to find the ball today but once he got the tempo and physicality of the game he really worked hard, Laird the same. A years experience for both those boys in this competition where a win means something is going to pay off in spades to the Crows later on. For the life of me I can't see how taking players out of that environment to a reserves team is going to serve them better.

No one will ever convince me different that a Crows reserve game could be as beneficial as the SANFL qualifying final they played in today. Playing against hardened men who really meant business and didn't give an inch today really would have been the making of those players today. Crouch took time to find the ball today but once he got the tempo and physicality of the game he really worked hard, Laird the same. A years experience for both those boys in this competition where a win means something is going to pay off in spades to the Crows later on. For the life of me I can't see how taking players out of that environment to a reserves team is going to serve them better.
:thumbsu:
Great post. You simply can't get that playing in the VFL or the NEAFL. The standard of football in the SANFL prepares our young players far quicker for AFL than any other league in the country and is one of the reasons we have been able to bring in young players to our team so quickly. Players who cut their teeth in the SANFL are ready to step up to AFL much quicker and take far less time to find their feet when they do.

The only problem with the SANFL is when players like Grigg can't get into the league side.

Understand where you are coming from but being able to keep the squad together and play the players in the positions we want them to play would be more beneficial to the team as a whole

This is a SANFL thread so I don't want to rehash old arguments but I can't buy into that.
Ruckman get played as ruckman, on ballers as on ballers in the SANFL. The only time we have trouble is with taller players whom some think should be tried back when they are being played forward or vice versa.
Surely the strength of the comp is what improves these players and finds them out. Lyons can't quite make the team yet but his performances against quality opposition who aren't going through the motions is a great grounding for when he becomes a regular.

Some may say the reserves team will be just as good for their development but when your not playing in a comp where winning is the first and foremost objective the actual competitive spirit is diluted just that 4-5%. It's that small percent which makes the difference!
If your shuffling players around to see how they go then you better hope it is a real reflection of a hard tough contest. I'm worried the games are going to be free flowing, perfect foot passing,bruise free games. The opposite should be the case, hard in and under no quarter, given no quarter asked games. These are the games that are going to improve players in the long run.

Would be really interested to see what trade value would have been on Laird. If he wasnt on the crows rookie list I think he would hve gone in the top 20 easy. Always looks like he has time and always makes a good decision.

From what I've heard, Crouch's main strength is his sheer brute strength through the core. Dangerfield-like, and I mean 22 year old Dangerfield, except Crouch is only 18.

It will be very interesting to see how this translates to AFL form but once he fills out, watch out. He'll be a clearance king.
I reckon he'll almost be the best tackler in our team next year. Seems to have really strong hands. He had no problems stopping 90kg men trying to run past him. One gut tries and he grabbed his jumper and just yanked him backwards. Was crazy good.

I had 17 in my head with him from the thinking about the minidraft. I think his skills will be the equal of Hodge, time will tell. Selwood is another good comparision for him. He could be described as a bastard love child of Hodge and Selwood.

as a rooster supporter i would love nothing more than to send the gowan twins away with a loss next week

as a rooster supporter i would love nothing more than to send the gowan twins away with a loss next week
Revenge from '07 :)
Which Gowan king hit one of our players on the North-Eastern flank with about 10 minutes left in the 4th?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back