hansie

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2006
Outeniqua Mountains
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Newcastle Utd, Miami Dolphins
As an ex oakleigh districts player I’m somewhat shocked they’re even considering this. Having said that I have little to no involvement there any more.

My guess is they were approached and think this is a better deal than sfnl. Southern league a ways off the other metro comps which is sad and somewhat fixable.

A genuine ‘southern’ to south east league could consist of the following (apologies I know this is an efnl thread!)

Beacy
Berwick
Narre
Noble
Edi-as
Chelsea
Bonbeach
Seaford
Port Colts
Dingley
Chelt
St Kilda city

To me that’s a fair premier div. Could even look to expand into franganistan and get pines and yc and essentially lay a ‘premier’ division over the existing comp.

Under this and the afl Vic ‘yarra to freeway’ rule ashwood could come into div 4 efnl.

Losing noble might be a hit to efnl pride and prestige however picking up on gmac’s comment about traveling crowds. Though they had a fair mob at blacky this year! This would also allow efnl to look at building a local and competitive comp with the likes of park orchards coming up…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There’s probably in reality questions around the power AFL Vic has over leagues and clubs etc.

You’d need the leagues to agree and some probably wouldn’t.
A few years back I was told by someone working in the industry that if they could have their way in the long term AFL Vic would love to streamline local metro footy into 4 comps under their control.
Northern, southern, eastern, western with the VAFA still around as well obviously.

Streamlined admin and lower running costs among the main advantages.

As an ex oakleigh districts player I’m somewhat shocked they’re even considering this. Having said that I have little to no involvement there any more.

My guess is they were approached and think this is a better deal than sfnl. Southern league a ways off the other metro comps which is sad and somewhat fixable.

A genuine ‘southern’ to south east league could consist of the following (apologies I know this is an efnl thread!)

Beacy
Berwick
Narre
Noble
Edi-as
Chelsea
Bonbeach
Seaford
Port Colts
Dingley
Chelt
St Kilda city

To me that’s a fair premier div. Could even look to expand into franganistan and get pines and yc and essentially lay a ‘premier’ division over the existing comp.

Under this and the afl Vic ‘yarra to freeway’ rule ashwood could come into div 4 efnl.

Losing noble might be a hit to efnl pride and prestige however picking up on gmac’s comment about traveling crowds. Though they had a fair mob at blacky this year! This would also allow efnl to look at building a local and competitive comp with the likes of park orchards coming up…

This is exactly how a proper Southern Footy League should look but decades of short-sighted decisions, no overall plan and mini-empire building has meant it's all over the place now.

Great to see that 10 of our players from our very well performed U19's team will be playing in the seniors next year. Well done boys!
Make that 16 now. Some fine young boys there.
Congratulations to Evan Stamos and Chris Spiteri on finishing second and third in the Premier Division Under 19's Best and Fairest. Looking forward to seeing them representing the Rams next year.

East Burwood is set to embark on its second new division in as many years, and coach Stuart Wynd says his group are up for the challenge.

It was revealed last week that the Rams had accepted an Eastern league invitation for promotion from Division 3 to join Division 2.

The move comes after the club shifted to Division 3 following a 2019 season which yielded a grand final appearance in Division 4.

It finished second in Division 3 this season with a 7-3 record – behind Warrandyte which first declined the league’s invitation for promotion.

Wynd said the lure of playing a higher division of football was too good to refuse after receiving the offer.

“We’re rapt that we’re going up, we’ve got a really young list and all those boys just want to play the best footy they can,” Wynd said.

“Our goal four years ago when I took over was to try and get up through the divisions, and whilst we haven’t won a flag doing it, we’ve put ourselves in the position to get the opportunity to go up.

“It’s so hard to win premierships these days, and if you don’t take the opportunity when you get it to go up, you never know how long you’re going to be in that division for.”

East Burwood coach Stuart Wynd says his club is “rapt” with the move. Picture: Steve Tanner
East Burwood coach Stuart Wynd says his club is “rapt” with the move. Picture: Steve Tanner
But the Rams coach, who recently re-signed for 2022 for a fifth year at the helm, is under no illusions of the challenge at hand.

“It’s not going to be easy – it’s a pretty big jump from third division to second division, and we’re just hoping to be competitive,” Wynd said.

“We think our style that we play holds up – we’re quick, we’ve got really young legs … I know the teams in it have got good young lists as well.

“It’s certainly going to be a good challenge to not just make up the numbers.”

Wynd said “the majority of the group” had signed on for next season, while he’ll also look to unearth emerging talent who played in the under-19 program this year.

“We’ve signed up 18 or 19 of our under-19 players which is just crucial for us … they’re all 20-and-a-half now, and there’s four or five of them that are ready to play (seniors),” he said.

“We’ve got some really good young talent coming through and they’ll get opportunities – hopefully we can find three or four good senior players out of that next year.”

Southern league club Oakleigh District is hoping to join the Eastern league in Division 2 next season, while Outer East top-flight outfit Beaconsfield is seeking a move into Division 1. A vote on the pair’s moves is set to be put to clubs on September 29.

Meanwhile, Park Orchards accepted an invitation to be promoted to Premier Division as Coldstream heads to Division 3.

East Burwood is set to embark on its second new division in as many years, and coach Stuart Wynd says his group are up for the challenge.

It was revealed last week that the Rams had accepted an Eastern league invitation for promotion from Division 3 to join Division 2.

The move comes after the club shifted to Division 3 following a 2019 season which yielded a grand final appearance in Division 4.

It finished second in Division 3 this season with a 7-3 record – behind Warrandyte which first declined the league’s invitation for promotion.

Wynd said the lure of playing a higher division of football was too good to refuse after receiving the offer.

“We’re rapt that we’re going up, we’ve got a really young list and all those boys just want to play the best footy they can,” Wynd said.

“Our goal four years ago when I took over was to try and get up through the divisions, and whilst we haven’t won a flag doing it, we’ve put ourselves in the position to get the opportunity to go up.

“It’s so hard to win premierships these days, and if you don’t take the opportunity when you get it to go up, you never know how long you’re going to be in that division for.”

But the Rams coach, who recently re-signed for 2022 for a fifth year at the helm, is under no illusions of the challenge at hand.

“It’s not going to be easy – it’s a pretty big jump from third division to second division, and we’re just hoping to be competitive,” Wynd said.

“We think our style that we play holds up – we’re quick, we’ve got really young legs … I know the teams in it have got good young lists as well.

Wynd said “the majority of the group” had signed on for next season, while he’ll also look to unearth emerging talent who played in the under-19 program this year.

“We’ve signed up 18 or 19 of our under-19 players which is just crucial for us … they’re all 20-and-a-half now, and there’s four or five of them that are ready to play (seniors),” he said.

“We’ve got some really good young talent coming through and they’ll get opportunities – hopefully we can find three or four good senior players out of that next year.”

Southern league club Oakleigh District is hoping to join the Eastern league in Division 2 next season, while Outer East top-flight outfit Beaconsfield is seeking a move into Division 1. A vote on the pair’s moves is set to be put to clubs on September 29.

Meanwhile, Park Orchards accepted an invitation to be promoted to Premier Division as Coldstream heads to Division 3.

Still really surprises me that East Burwood and Park Orchards have been promoted,sounds like the EFNL have all ready decided that Beaconsfield and Oakleigh Districts will be voted in by the other clubs next Wednesday night.If they are not voted in they most likely will have a bye in D1 and D2 which clubs in those divisions would most likely not want and perhaps might sway their vote into letting them in.As for 2023 lets hope the EFNL if they are voted in let clubs know their plans for 2023 with promotion/relegation.BUT then to throw another spanner in the works what happens if another club wants to join the league in the higher divisions.Interesting week ahead.

A few clubs were into the U19's, good to see so many have stuck with East Burwood. A few years ago they struggled to keep the talent. Spiteri will play Seniors.

Beacy
Berwick
Narre
Noble
Edi-as
Chelsea
Bonbeach
Seaford
Port Colts
Dingley
Chelt
St Kilda city

For StarChel

Beacy
Berwick
Narre
Noble
Edi-as
Chelsea
Bonbeach
Seaford
Port Colts
Dingley
Chelt
St Kilda city

For starters Port Colts, Dingley, Cheltenham, and St.Kilda City would be the bottom 4 sides in that grade as no way there would be able to beat those EFNL and MPFL sides not even if the points system didn't exist or it was checkbook football was in place.
Just leave the EFNL and the MPFL the way .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit happening in Div 3. This might end up being the tightest division

• Coldy knocked off Warrandyte first up probably putting to bed any doubt already that they wouldn't be competitive
  • FTG really struggling 0-2 with boom recruit Luke McComb all but done this year with a knee injury
  • Glen Waverley Hawks really talked it up, but already losing to Fairpark and Scoresby are in serious trouble with double relegation, they haven't even got to the good teams yet.
  • Didn't see Fairpark winning 2 games for the whole year let alone in the first 2 rounds. That has really got some clubs nervous as everyone slotted them in as one of the certain relegation teams.
  • Jury still out on Whitehorse. Good win against Donvale first up but the scoreboard really flattered them against Waverley Blues.

My gut feel is a team might get relegated this year with 5 or 6 wins which is pretty unfortunate.

Rams smashed Coldstream in the first game of the women's comp. A few weeks ago they had 6 at training. To win so easily and their FF kicking 7 goals was a fabulous way to start the day at East Burwood.

Ventured over to FTG to watch Coldy on the weekend and must say i was surprised how good FTG were. Could have done some damage in finals if they were there. Coldy ended any hope of an unlikely top 2 finish now. Have done extremely well to make finals first year up a division.

Also best wishes to the young FTG player who looked to have done a serious leg injury during the game.

Ventured over to FTG to watch Coldy on the weekend and must say i was surprised how good FTG were. Could have done some damage in finals if they were there. Coldy ended any hope of an unlikely top 2 finish now. Have done extremely well to make finals first year up a division.

Also best wishes to the young FTG player who looked to have done a serious leg injury during the game.
Thanks will pass it on to Jake he has a fracture to his lower leg. We shot ourselves in the foot early with injuries to key players early in the season. Some of our footy in the second round has been exciting and already looking to 2023 😊

Big game today with Fair Park facing off against Scoresby to avoid relegation. Glen WVerleys fate already decided after big pre season recruiting drive. One thing these three have in common is no Under 19s which is an on going issue for many clubs. My club Ferntree Gully already looking forward to 2023 after a bold finish to the year so far. Injuries killed us early with several knee injuries a broken arm broken leg broken ribs severe facial injury to different players. Have managed to unearth a couple of players who have really stepped up. 😊

Big game today with Fair Park facing off against Scoresby to avoid relegation. Glen WVerleys fate already decided after big pre season recruiting drive. One thing these three have in common is no Under 19s which is an on going issue for many clubs. My club Ferntree Gully already looking forward to 2023 after a bold finish to the year so far. Injuries killed us early with several knee injuries a broken arm broken leg broken ribs severe facial injury to different players. Have managed to unearth a couple of players who have really stepped up. 😊
It certainly makes a difference having 19's. I know Coldy have struggled to have regular Under 19's each year and it is certainly impacting the 2's at the moment, but having 19s this year should solve some issues in coming years. I think Fairpark and Scoresby have both had Unders 19s in recent years but Scoresby now has no junior club at all. Has Glen Waverley ever had 19s?

Scoresby have fallen in a hole not winning a game in the 2nd half of the year and now in Div 4 for the first time ever after losing to Fairpark on Saturday. I read today they have been relegated 4 times in the last 8 years.

It certainly makes a difference having 19's. I know Coldy have struggled to have regular Under 19's each year and it is certainly impacting the 2's at the moment, but having 19s this year should solve some issues in coming years. I think Fairpark and Scoresby have both had Unders 19s in recent years but Scoresby now has no junior club at all. Has Glen Waverley ever had 19s?

Scoresby have fallen in a hole not winning a game in the 2nd half of the year and now in Div 4 for the first time ever after losing to Fairpark on Saturday. I read today they have been relegated 4 times in the last 8 years.
Yes scoresby and Fair Park both had 19s in recent years. The only time I remember Glen Waverley having them may have been a combine with maybe Vermont. In my experience if you get 4 or 5 19s up to senior footy you are doing well. In our case general rule is 2 or 3. This year out of an average 19s team in 2021 we have had 5 or 6 and this season have managed to give 2 17.5 boys senior games. Looking forward to a break but also forward to pre season and 2023 😊

The word doing the rounds is Scoresby is trying hard to stay in Division 3 and are in a clear push with other clubs to send Oakleigh Districts straight to Division 4. The discussions are in play, watch this space.

The word doing the rounds is Scoresby is trying hard to stay in Division 3 and are in a clear push with other clubs to send Oakleigh Districts straight to Division 4. The discussions are in play, watch this space.

Promotion / relegation arrangements are finalised before the season. Unless Oakleigh Districts actually want to go to D4, see no way how this happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back