Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest rivalry in local footy back in the day! Last time for premiership points was 1995, lower gully won by a point, and it’s been major thorn in our side since then that we haven’t been able to win back the shield. Saturday night under lights everyone is welcome to wander down to see a past rivalry reignited!

The biggest rivalry in local footy back in the day! Last time for premiership points was 1995, lower gully won by a point, and it’s been major thorn in our side since then that we haven’t been able to win back the shield. Saturday night under lights everyone is welcome to wander down to see a past rivalry reignited!
The Royal for a stint & then wander to Kings sounds like a good day & evening out.

Donvale beat Surrey Park by 5 pts, Surrey up all day but donvale kicked 3 goals to 1 in the final quarter. Potential grand final matchup?

An incredible night at kings last night. Huge crowd along to enjoy the action. Upper controlled the game from go, pretty comfortable win. But the rooms afterwards was like after a final victory. You couldn’t move and the place was buzzing. Great job by the committee and volunteers as the bars where going none stop, all around the ground, and the canteen went off too. An amazing night and hopefully rebooting a great club in the right direction. Big thanks to the gully folk for hanging around. Look forward to the return festivities.

An incredible night at kings last night. Huge crowd along to enjoy the action. Upper controlled the game from go, pretty comfortable win. But the rooms afterwards was like after a final victory. You couldn’t move and the place was buzzing. Great job by the committee and volunteers as the bars where going none stop, all around the ground, and the canteen went off too. An amazing night and hopefully rebooting a great club in the right direction. Big thanks to the gully folk for hanging around. Look forward to the return festivities.

The result is a little surprising i think. Not many expected Upper to win like that after they just got over Fairpark the week before. I see Russell Cowan from UFTG BOG 2 weeks in a row.

They might have some issues at FTG. Their player losses are substantial from last year and they are still actively recruiting, so id say they are aware they might be lacking. Apparently former Monbulk/Beacy player Taylor Joyce has signed which should help their scoring issues. Their 2s are also struggling which is rare for them.

Last edited:
Echo Loweys thoughts.

Awesome night & Upper as a club stood up in so many areas last night. Congratulations to their committee & helpers. By far the largest crowd I’ve seen there.

Heading in the right direction and still quite a young side but have been bolstered by some handy stronger body additions.

Great fun in the rooms after the game and still plenty there when I left heading into wee hours.

Echo Loweys thoughts.

Awesome night & Upper as a club stood up in so many areas last night. Congratulations to their committee & helpers. By far the largest crowd I’ve seen there.

Heading in the right direction and still quite a young side but have been bolstered by some handy stronger body additions.

Great fun in the rooms after the game and still plenty there when I left heading into wee hours.

How many do you reckon were there? Biggest crowd I've seen for a home and away. I've seen some grand finals in Yarra Valley that had less.

Difficult to know. I spent my time on the club rooms side, not sure how many were on the outer side.
Quite dark looking into the crowd from one side to the other. Plenty of noise though from the outer side.

They estimated between 1800-2000. Willow Rd was full all the way around the bend, 4 bars going ape all night then elbow room in the rooms after…biggest night outside of finals in a long time. People I haven’t seen in 15 years showed up and the place was rocking. Wish my goggles worked better than they do. Didn’t see much of the footy tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do we take out of this round?

Surprised to see Upper lose like that after the excitement of last week. Who's seen Coldstream?

Division seems unpredictably competitive at the moment. Looks like Silvan kicked themselves out of a win.

Its starting to sort out a bit i think but still a little unpredictable.

Coldstream are flying. That Castree/Carrigan duo is a nightmare for opposition clubs. With Sam Raru leaving Fairpark this year I think they are probably the 2 best players in the division and they are on the same team. Having Fritsch as a permanent forward is also great. They are right in this, top 2-3.

Surrey Park - have done everything right, only loss being to Donvale by less than a goal. Have made the transition to Div 3 really well. Have had a few high profile recruits come in such as the Summers brothers who will be fantastic but might just take a little time to adjust to Div 3 but are genuine guns. The one that snuck through was the return of Kane Henden. Anyone who has played div 4 in the last decade knows what a player he was and then went to premier div and won a b&f at Doncaster. Will be a huge for them. Lock them in for finals. Top 3.

Donvale - are 3-0 and are seemingly yet to hit their straps. They don't seem to be quite at 2023 standard yet but have a few players to come back. Scary prospect once they really get motoring and you feel they know exactly where they need to be when the time comes. Top 2 lock.

Oakleigh - A bit unsure. Don't score enough to win enough games i don't think. The loss of Bozanich continues to haunt them and they have a unhealthy heavy reliance on Pearson to play well and hit the scoreboard. I dont think there is side that relies on a single player so much. They just got over Fairpark at home yesterday and only beat Warrandyte by 10 points last week, but were really competitive round 1 against Coldstream. Could sneak into the bottom part of the top 5 but i think they might miss if a side from lower on the ladder gets a run on in the 2nd half of the year. 4th-8th.

UFTG - I think their form might be a bit false as their 2 wins have come against Fairpark (0-3) and FTG (1-2) who have dropped right off. They have Knox, Silvan and Oakleigh in the next 3 games so that will tell us their story. I'm still putting them in the bottom region of the ladder 7-10. I don't actually think they will get relegated but if they were to lose Cowan, i don't think they have much quality depth to cover and the second half of the year could get ugly.

Knox - I'm still with them but they have dropped off from where i thought they were after round 1. Have had good performances against Coldstream and Surrey but lost both by 4 goals. Not horrible form and now need to bank the wins against some lower ranked sides. More likely to play finals than not and no chance of relegation i think they finish 4th-6th.

Silvan - Up and down form. I think yesterday comes back to haunt them kicking themselves out of a win against FTG. Have currently only defeated Fairpark and haven't played any of Donvale, Coldstream or Surrey Park. Huge game against Oakleigh this week at home. Need to win to stay in touch with the top 5. Slight chance at finals i think they finish 5th-9th. Another that could fall part in the 2nd half of the year if things don't go well.

FTG - I think the slide is now real for them. Somehow got over Silvan yesterday at home due to Silvan's poor kicking. Player losses taking their toll and clearly haven't replaced players like McComb or Deieso. An undersized side who are really struggling to score. They have a win now but i don't think they have the quality to compete week in week out. Could potentially sneak into that 5th spot for finals if they land a recruit or two and if some sides above drop off but i think they are done. I think they will finish 6th-9th

Fairpark - Another close loss yesterday for them away at Oakleigh. They have had a habit of getting themselves out of trouble in recent years but have they gone to the well too many times now? They always seem to have a solid core that stick out the year while other sides tend to drop off as the season gets tough. Seeing Raru starring at Upwey and Jason Want in the best players at South Croydon yesterday shows what they have lost in quality. Have had a really soft draw and haven't been disgraced but are 0-3. I think finals are done for them and its already a survival battle. They have to beat Warrandyte this week. See them finishing 8th-10th.

Warrandyte - Well known they were going to struggle this year with their departures but i dont think they have been as bad as what i thought they might have been. Even a 10 goal loss to Donvale isnt horrendous and they were in the game at half time. They have a huge game against Fairpark this week. They need to win to have any chance of survival as i think the second half of the year will get ugly for them. They will finish 9th or 10th but the most likely team to get relegated.

Last edited:
Its starting to sort out a bit i think but still a little unpredictable.

Coldstream are flying. That Castree/Carrigan duo is a nightmare for opposition clubs. With Sam Raru leaving Fairpark this year I think they are probably the 2 best players in the division and they are on the same team. Having Fritsch as a permanent forward is also great. They are right in this, top 2-3.

Surrey Park - have done everything right, only loss being to Donvale by less than a goal. Have made the transition to Div 3 really well. Have had a few high profile recruits come in such as the Summers brothers who will be fantastic but might just take a little time to adjust to Div 3 but are genuine guns. The one that snuck through was the return of Kane Henden. Anyone who has played div 4 in the last decade knows what a player he was and then went to premier div and won a b&f at Doncaster. Will be a huge for them. Lock them in for finals. Top 3.

Donvale - are 3-0 and are seemingly yet to hit their straps. They don't seem to be quite at 2023 standard yet but have a few players to come back. Scary prospect once they really get motoring and you feel they know exactly where they need to be when the time comes. Top 2 lock.

Oakleigh - A bit unsure. Don't score enough to win enough games i don't think. The loss of Bozanich continues to haunt them and they have a unhealthy heavy reliance on Pearson to play well and hit the scoreboard. I dont think there is side that relies on a single player so much. They just got over Fairpark at home yesterday and only beat Warrandyte by 10 points last week, but were really competitive round 1 against Coldstream. Could sneak into the bottom part of the top 5 but i think they might miss if a side from lower on the ladder gets a run on in the 2nd half of the year. 4th-8th.

UFTG - I think their form might be a bit false as their 2 wins have come against Fairpark (0-3) and FTG (1-2) who have dropped right off. They have Knox, Silvan and Oakleigh in the next 3 games so that will tell us their story. I'm still putting them in the bottom region of the ladder 7-10. I don't actually think they will get relegated but if they were to lose Cowan, i don't think they have much quality depth to cover and the second half of the year could get ugly.

Knox - I'm still with them but they have dropped off from where i thought they were after round 1. Have had good performances against Coldstream and Surrey but lost both by 4 goals. Not horrible form and now need to bank the wins against some lower ranked sides. More likely to play finals than not and no chance of relegation i think they finish 4th-6th.

Silvan - Up and down form. I think yesterday comes back to haunt them kicking themselves out of a win against FTG. Have currently only defeated Fairpark and haven't played any of Donvale, Coldstream or Surrey Park. Huge game against Oakleigh this week at home. Need to win to stay in touch with the top 5. Slight chance at finals i think they finish 5th-9th. Another that could fall part in the 2nd half of the year if things don't go well.

FTG - I think the slide is now real for them. Somehow got over Silvan yesterday at home due to Silvan's poor kicking. Player losses taking their toll and clearly haven't replaced players like McComb or Deieso. An undersized side who are really struggling to score. They have a win now but i don't think they have the quality to compete week in week out. Could potentially sneak into that 5th spot for finals if they land a recruit or two and if some sides above drop off but i think they are done. I think they will finish 6th-9th

Fairpark - Another close loss yesterday for them away at Oakleigh. They have had a habit of getting themselves out of trouble in recent years but have they gone to the well too many times now? They always seem to have a solid core that stick out the year while other sides tend to drop off as the season gets tough. Seeing Raru starring at Upwey and Jason Want in the best players at South Croydon yesterday shows what they have lost in quality. Have had a really soft draw and haven't been disgraced but are 0-3. I think finals are done for them and its already a survival battle. They have to beat Warrandyte this week. See them finishing 8th-10th.

Warrandyte - Well known they were going to struggle this year with their departures but i dont think they have been as bad as what i thought they might have been. Even a 10 goal loss to Donvale isnt horrendous and they were in the game at half time. They have a huge game against Fairpark this week. They need to win to have any chance of survival as i think the second half of the year will get ugly for them. They will finish 9th or 10th but the most likely team to get relegated.
Donvale Vs Coldstream will be interesting this week. Especially with Donvales Injuries. Didnt seem to affect them yesterday but if anyones gunna get them it will be Coldstream

Even when we were the best team in the comp, our record at Coldstream is the absolute pits! They’re a good 22, not much coming through. If they lose those new recruits it could spell disaster. But they’re good now, will give it a nudge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back