EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Rego feees gets paid straight to the League now

The only part that that goes to the clubs is the markup they put on top of what the league charges to

Was an attempt to stop the people that never pay their subs

Every club I’ve been involved in has had em

Nuffy by name and nuffy by nature
Mate league gets $10 per player.
Players register and pay the 10 plus whatever the club charges as it’s initial rego payment, this can range from nothing to $50-100.
The remainder of the fees is payable prior to rd 1.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why can't metro clubs play on 30 points, the best kids could easily rise to the standard of play. Use your locals and let each club have a marquee player outside the cap and points.

Every league looks at it from their perspective, not through the health of footy across the state, so many kids are giving up the game at 16-20 years old, we need to keep them engaged, by allowing clubs to top up with ex afl/vfl players doesn't give kids the opportunity to play senior footy as there's limited spots left

Why can't metro clubs play on 30 points, the best kids could easily rise to the standard of play. Use your locals and let each club have a marquee player outside the cap and points.

Every league looks at it from their perspective, not through the health of footy across the state, so many kids are giving up the game at 16-20 years old, we need to keep them engaged, by allowing clubs to top up with ex afl/vfl players doesn't give kids the opportunity to play senior footy as there's limited spots left
Sounds great in hindsight mate, but clubs like Keilor and Abers who predominantly are the bigger stronger clubs never gave opportunity to younger players hence they recruited heavily and there players lingering in the reserves will leave and go elsewhere to play seniors or div1 seniors. History will say Greenvale, then Marby both under GA started the spending but there juniors weren’t overly strong however Keilor and more Abers spent up big, to the point it was embarrassing offers of double to what others were willing to pay. So the footy landscape changed on the back of those years with Abers ultimately winning a premiership but cost them heaps and put this league into a competition that pays big $$$ and you need to spend to make top4. What did this league do at the time. Absolutely nothing to put a stop to it. Actually the way some clubs get looked after you might say they encouraged it by doing nothing.

We can all rightfully have our opinions but that year set things into motion where clubs had to pay overs to get recruits or a coach to entice them or a package of mates.

Cheers
Turbo

One could argue though, that the flow on effect of GA’s Greenvale/Marby “cash to splash” years have been good for local footy!
It lifted the EDFL from years of your typical suburban paddock hack footy to a level right up with there with elite amateur grade competitions.
Ok, heaps of bucks involved which impacted the less well off clubs, but a change that overall greatly benefited the standard AND the facilities of local football.
A matter of “sink or swim” to an extent?
And we, the spectating public are just as complicit by wanting/demanding to watch the highest quality players, highest quality matches in the best quality facilities!
Look at the facilities that the “big” clubs now boast!
All thanks to these massive private injections of cash..
Gone are the days of tin-shed change rooms, or a rickety wooden table on the boundary selling hot cans and cold pies..
Or clubs sharing soulless freezing cold council concrete bunkers as club rooms!

As a kid I played for Ascot Presies at Fairbairn Park.. We shared the rooms with Essendon Baps AND a hockey club.. Cold showers, mudcaked floors, freezing cold..
Stamp out the bucks and head back to those dark days?
I think NOT!

Strathmore 2022 premiership with 23 points
2023 losing premiership with 22 points. 19/22 juniors in that team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure we want sink or swim do we? Is that what community footy is about? It's about getting people play, not having 18 ex afl /vfl players in each side, with guys on the sidelines using it as a dick measuring contest to see who can spend the most, without getting caught. If you have 3-4 ex afl vfl players that aren't juniors it's still a good standard of footy as they push the junior standards up at the club, learning from them.

It should be easy to play under 25 points if you've got good junior systems in place for premier league teams.

Make points 35-37 per game and see who survives
Scrap the salary cap and let it be a free for all
But points 35-37 and see who wins
Could go further and use a system Darwin used and have 22 points per club, but have locally produced (as in Youth as Juniors these days should be considered Under 12 and younger) players worth 0 rather than 1 point.

Not sure we want sink or swim do we? Is that what community footy is about? It's about getting people play, not having 18 ex afl /vfl players in each side, with guys on the sidelines using it as a dick measuring contest to see who can spend the most, without getting caught. If you have 3-4 ex afl vfl players that aren't juniors it's still a good standard of footy as they push the junior standards up at the club, learning from them.

It should be easy to play under 25 points if you've got good junior systems in place for premier league teams.
Well said, that rationale is incredibly short-sighted.
It's all well and good that some prefer to buy talent rather than develop their own but the sink-or-swim approach will see more clubs go under and ultimately shrink the talent pool and increase demand for players, further driving up prices.
It's community sport, there needs to be an opportunity for locals to play for their club rather than just lining the wallets of recruits/mercenaries.

One could argue though, that the flow on effect of GA’s Greenvale/Marby “cash to splash” years have been good for local footy!
It lifted the EDFL from years of your typical suburban paddock hack footy to a level right up with there with elite amateur grade competitions.
Ok, heaps of bucks involved which impacted the less well off clubs, but a change that overall greatly benefited the standard AND the facilities of local football.
A matter of “sink or swim” to an extent?
And we, the spectating public are just as complicit by wanting/demanding to watch the highest quality players, highest quality matches in the best quality facilities!
Look at the facilities that the “big” clubs now boast!

All thanks to these massive private injections of cash..
Gone are the days of tin-shed change rooms, or a rickety wooden table on the boundary selling hot cans and cold pies..
Or clubs sharing soulless freezing cold council concrete bunkers as club rooms!

As a kid I played for Ascot Presies at Fairbairn Park.. We shared the rooms with Essendon Baps AND a hockey club.. Cold showers, mudcaked floors, freezing cold..
Stamp out the bucks and head back to those dark days?
I think NOT!

Are you having a laugh?
At a guess, few outside the district would compare the EDFL to the EFL let alone VAFA Prem A.
As for facilities, Greenvale & East Keilor aside (I may be missing some), the facilities are pretty underwhelming.

Not sure about that I think the top 4 in Edfl would easily play finals in Eastern Prem division and Vafa. I would even say that Keilor would beat Rowville comfortably after seeing them both play last year but that’s just an opinion.The difference is there is more depth in the amount of strong clubs in Eastern Prem and Vafa compared to edfl.

Not sure about that I think the top 4 in Edfl would easily play finals in Eastern Prem division and Vafa. I would even say that Keilor would beat Rowville comfortably after seeing them both play last year but that’s just an opinion.The difference is there is more depth in the amount of strong clubs in Eastern Prem and Vafa compared to edfl.
That they'd easily play finals is a significant reach IMO.
I don't rate clubs or comps by the top few, depth of talent has a more meaningful say in the overall quality.
The rankings have tended to be VAFA 1, EFL 2, with the NFL & EDFL 3 or 4th.

That they'd easily play finals is a significant reach IMO.
I don't rate clubs or comps by the top few, depth of talent has a more meaningful say in the overall quality.
The rankings have tended to be VAFA 1, EFL 2, with the NFL & EDFL 3 or 4th
what's so special about the vafa in comparison to the other 3 I feel like they'd all be pretty similar just vafa and eastern have a few more teams

what's so special about the vafa in comparison to the other 3 I feel like they'd all be pretty similar just vafa and eastern have a few more teams
Agree besides the 2 top grades in VAFA and Eastern the standard below that is average and nothing special but that would go for most leagues with multiple divisions. But if you just compare the top grade in each league there wouldn’t be much difference in quality. I would also put the O+M,MPFNL and Gfl right up there.

Agree besides the 2 top grades in VAFA and Eastern the standard below that is average and nothing special but that would go for most leagues with multiple divisions. But if you just compare the top grade in each league there wouldn’t be much difference in quality. I would also put the O+M,MPFNL and Gfl right up there.
Ballarat would be up there also.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, Ballarat not in the top 5 comps in Country Footy. Nor Bendigo IMO.

Is the O&M the premier rural league ?

For me, VAFA & EFNL are the 2 best completions in the state.

For the “country” comps
As a rough estimate, I’d say

1- Geelong
2- O & M
3- Mornighton
4- Golburn Valley
5- Hampden
6- Bendigo
7- Ballarat
8- Gippsland

Then Murray, Central Murray, Sunraysia in the next tier

For the “country” comps
As a rough estimate, I’d say

1- Geelong
2- O & M
3- Mornighton
4- Golburn Valley
5- Hampden
6- Bendigo
7- Ballarat
8- Gippsland

Then Murray, Central Murray, Sunraysia in the next tier
Flip Ballarat & Bendigo for mine even before the recent exodus (going off their board) of talent.

O&M or Geelong.

Goulburn Valley not as strong as it once was either. Top couple are, but the competition overall is not.
Hampden ummm
It's an interesting study tbh,
Hampden is a good comp. especially when factoring in the numbers that depart for Uni etc (Ballarat & Geelong do reasonably well from the region, for example).
Overall, it's going to be interesting to see the evolution of local footy over the next 5-10 years.

I would suggest O&M or Geelong best Country leagues. Goulburn Valley used to be in that conversation but not anymore.

Agree about VAFA 'A' grade and EFNL best suburban.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back