EDFL Premier Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Turbo,
I often enjoy your reviews but this time I have to say that maybe when reviewing if you insist on only using one eye try using the good one.

I do agree that the umpiring was ordinary to say the least but ordinary both ways. The Greenvale boys copped some pretty confusing frees against and 50 metre penalties that left the crowd confused.

Ben Ross going down did not help Pacco but there was no malice as I did not see anyone remonstrating after the incident with any Greenvale player.

Green vale was the better side on the day simple. If that was the best of Greenvale then sadly Abers can start the celebrations now because on today's game I agree that no one is even close.

You still had chances but kicked yourselves out of the game so quit the sour grapes your better than that.

I ventured out to Greenvale today and happy to give an honest upfront review. I'm sure my recent games summaries have been pretty good often mentioning the good standard of umpiring even during Paccos losses to Abers and Avondale.

Ok here goes. The game was played in front of a good crowd and the ground was in good condition with little wind favouring either side. Both sides had a few players out. Pacco started well and Greenvale got back into the game and started to play well and and took a good lead from quarter time that was difficult to peg back, however in the last quarter Pacco did have chances to get back into it but some costly misses were telling. Clearly Greenvale were the better team and deserved the win and will hold second spot. Game played in good spirits for the majority of the game.
BUT really it's just to see who will end up second as neither Greenvale or Pacco will get near Abers on today's performances.

Now I need to comment on a few things that really annoyed me.
1- the umpiring was very biased and the older umpire was clearly favouring Greenvale. He was talking to Greenvales #6 at quarter time and seemed to be having a good chat with plenty of smiling, which is quite embrassing. Also stopped play for a few seconds to ask a Greenvale player if he was ok but the player was still standing.
There was a scuffle during the 2nd quarter between 2 players and a Greenvale player ran from 20mts away to get involved and swings a round arm into the stomach of a Pacco player from behind. Thankfully it wasn't higher as I think his intention was, but changed his mind at the last minute. There wasn't much in it but it did cause more players to become involved. The umpire doesn't do anything until a bigger Pacco player charges in from a distance to show some strength then a free is paid to Greenvale. Very strange and clearly biased decision.
3- they bounce the ball outside the circle but favours Greenvale and hello play on.
2 centre square holding decisions from 30mts away paid against Pacco when they get back to 24pts.
3- Greenvale Lower charges Paccos Ross in the 1st quarter and it sees Pacco play with 1 less for the remainder of the game. Yes it was a fair hit but clearly it a plan and he was targetted. I'm guessing if Pacco play Greenvale in the finals he will get the same treatment. What goes around come around yeah.
4- Both sides seemed to have players that weren't prepared to get the hard ball but I won't name them.
5- Hill concussed again and had to leave the field. Umpires stopped play as Hill was down but didn't stop play when a Pacco player was down. Once again very strange umpiring.
*Hope Tom is ok for the remainer of the year but his now been concussed a few times from general play.

Now I don't often criticise umpires but this was the match of the round and the standard was below par and clearly biased towards one side. I hope that Pacco inform the league that these umpires don't officiated any more Greenvale or Pacco games. The female umpires are clearly better than the ones today.
Great standard of footy in the EDFL but today's umpiring was a blight on our league..

Happy to receive a review from any Greenvale supporters but I doubt it will be disputed. Yes when it was over they did seem to want to give Pacco a few frees and a 100nt penalty.

Now I went in for a beer after the game as did many Pacco players and supporters but why do Greenvale have to sell raffle tickets after the game. I've never known other clubs to do this, and they don't need the money surely..Bit embrassing IMO.

That's my rant for the week. Hopefully the league read this to improve our league.

PS: For the record another reason why the points system is not going to even out our competition but allow certain clubs to dominate our league for the next few years. Will only discourage supporters.

Maybe do the review sober next time.

Turbo,
I often enjoy your reviews but this time I have to say that maybe when reviewing if you insist on only using one eye try using the good one.

I do agree that the umpiring was ordinary to say the least but ordinary both ways. The Greenvale boys copped some pretty confusing frees against and 50 metre penalties that left the crowd confused.

Ben Ross going down did not help Pacco but there was no malice as I did not see anyone remonstrating after the incident with any Greenvale player.

Green vale was the better side on the day simple. If that was the best of Greenvale then sadly Abers can start the celebrations now because on today's game I agree that no one is even close.

You still had chances but kicked yourselves out of the game so quit the sour grapes your better than that.

Hey KB, very good reply and I did say that Greenvale were clearly the better side and deserved the win.
I still think the umpiring was well below par for the match of the round. I'm not sure why an umpire needs to be chatting to a player during quarter time when their side is up by 4 goals. I was actually walking past and stopped for a few seconds and was bewildered by what they were talking about. Clearly know each other well. He should be concentrating on umpiring.

Mate I seen the whole incident with Ross and it was a horrible pass that put him in s bad area but Lower was 3rd person in (so it was 3 on 1) and clearly lined him up from 10mts away and ran directly at him. He actually didn't have possesion of the footy as it spilled out. I personally think that although it was fair in a way it was clearly deliberate and meant to take him out. I'm actually disappointed that no one remonstrated with him. It was forceful contact on a small player. He wouldn't have done it to a bigger player that's my point.

I like Tom Hill and his a good kid. But not sure he will play again this year and maybe will have next year off. Seen his parents were extremely concerned and told some friends that's it for him for a while. To many concussions from just minor falls on the turf. They believe it's the shock of hitting the turf creates dizziness. Interesting..

*KB can I ask you why did the game stop as he didn't leave on a stretcher? The ball was up in Paccos area. But stop the game! At least they were worried about the kid but left Ross on the ground whilst Pacco defends 1 short. Just can't understand it at all. Bit bewildering again.

But hey we move on..

Two Planks- wasn't drinking heavy mate. Just don't like seeing quality ball players being targetted unfairly. That's all.

Couple of good young kids at Greenvale so your future is bright..

Just sitting on couch watching VFL and Browne from Keilor playing. His definitely good enough to play VFL and maybe even AFL again however his fitness is below what is needed to play the higher standard. I understand it's due to playing local footy so my question is, do local clubs need to step up the standards of training and raise the level now that there is good money in local footy. The difference between AFL and VFL is not that much different but from VFL to Local is a big difference.

Just sitting on couch watching VFL and Browne from Keilor playing. His definitely good enough to play VFL and maybe even AFL again however his fitness is below what is needed to play the higher standard. I understand it's due to playing local footy so my question is, do local clubs need to step up the standards of training and raise the level now that there is good money in local footy. The difference between AFL and VFL is not that much different but from VFL to Local is a big difference.
The gap from afl to vfl is huge.
Much bigger than any other gap in football.

Again just lie instead of admitting your were either drunk or just wrong. 3 on 1 now I've heard it all! An angry pack hunting him down was it? He didn't have the ball did he???. If he wasn't trying to handball it he probably wouldn't have done the shoulder. To re-iterated your comments that it was some type of plan is absolutely comical.

On your other pearl of wisdom the stretcher was called and was on the ground that's why the game was stopped. Guess what...its the rule! Both teams were in a huddle for 2 mins. Were you logging onto bigfooty when that was happening? Yet you comment like your an authority.

Now you've retired a bloke you've never met???.

Stick to commenting on the dimmies, and Justin Sherman.

Hey KB, very good reply and I did say that Greenvale were clearly the better side and deserved the win.
I still think the umpiring was well below par for the match of the round. I'm not sure why an umpire needs to be chatting to a player during quarter time when their side is up by 4 goals. I was actually walking past and stopped for a few seconds and was bewildered by what they were talking about. Clearly know each other well. He should be concentrating on umpiring.

Mate I seen the whole incident with Ross and it was a horrible pass that put him in s bad area but Lower was 3rd person in (so it was 3 on 1) and clearly lined him up from 10mts away and ran directly at him. He actually didn't have possesion of the footy as it spilled out. I personally think that although it was fair in a way it was clearly deliberate and meant to take him out. I'm actually disappointed that no one remonstrated with him. It was forceful contact on a small player. He wouldn't have done it to a bigger player that's my point.

I like Tom Hill and his a good kid. But not sure he will play again this year and maybe will have next year off. Seen his parents were extremely concerned and told some friends that's it for him for a while. To many concussions from just minor falls on the turf. They believe it's the shock of hitting the turf creates dizziness. Interesting..

*KB can I ask you why did the game stop as he didn't leave on a stretcher? The ball was up in Paccos area. But stop the game! At least they were worried about the kid but left Ross on the ground whilst Pacco defends 1 short. Just can't understand it at all. Bit bewildering again.

But hey we move on..

Two Planks- wasn't drinking heavy mate. Just don't like seeing quality ball players being targetted unfairly. That's all.

Couple of good young kids at Greenvale so your future is bright..

Turbo, the stretcher was called for mate. Hill got up and walked off with the assistance of trainers in the end but the stretcher was called for and as such the game was stopped, as it would have been had they called for it when Ross was injured. Again with the injury you obviously saw something no one else did because I am sure that had it been of the nature you imply at least one Pacco player would have gone in. Or are you implying that maybe they were intimidated or scared of Greenvale ( I would be very surprised if this was the case as there are several hard nuts in the Pacco side). Either way not a good call.

With regards to players talking to umpires, it happens all the time. They all know each other if they have been around for a while. I don't know what you heard but to imply that there was a bias towards Greenvale because of a discussion between a Greenvale player and the umpire is really scraping the excuse barrel. I agreed the umpires had a bad day towards both and if they got the video of the game they would be able to see and agree with us. Everyone has a bad game now and then. If you had a look at the same video you might have no choice but to accept that it was not as one sided as you are making out.

I hope for Greenvales sake you are wrong about Tom Hill. He is impressive and would be a big loss for them.

Again just lie instead of admitting your were either drunk or just wrong. 3 on 1 now I've heard it all! An angry pack hunting him down was it? He didn't have the ball did he???. If he wasn't trying to handball it he probably wouldn't have done the shoulder. To re-iterated your comments that it was some type of plan is absolutely comical.

On your other pearl of wisdom the stretcher was called and was on the ground that's why the game was stopped. Guess what...its the rule! Both teams were in a huddle for 2 mins. Were you logging onto bigfooty when that was happening? Yet you comment like your an authority.

Jett- I need to respond here.
I didn't say they angrily hunted him did I. The kick to him was over his head, courageously he kept his eyes on the ball but couldn't mark it. Picked it up and was tackled by 2 players very fairly and he released the ball (might have hand balled it or it spilled out) and then in came the 3rd person and crunch. No eyes on the ball or looking to get the spoils but eyes only on the man. Once again I stat It might have been within the rules or might not. I know Grant would have told his players that Ross needs to be watched and tackled at every opportunity as I know his coaching style pal. Some might like it, some might not.
Mate the game was recorded so I'm sure it will be shown as motivation if the teams happen to meet in a prelim.
Other than that and a little push & shove which somehow a free kick was paid, the game was played in good spirits.

*mate for the record the other time the 2 sides meet the same player was kicked in the arm whilst picking up the ball after a free kick was given, which resulted in a 50mt penalty and the same player leaving the ground holding his arm. Now you can say he trying to kick the ball but he missed by 10 inches and it was after the whistle. Bit of a coincidence yeah!

I'm no authority but a genuine footy person who likes to watch sport played in the right manner. Like to see quality players from any side play EDFL. I understand the stretcher rule but he didn't leave on a stretcher mate did he? I'm just a little confused but it doesn't matter.

Do you think after a number of concussions in the space of months the kid should keep playing? Maybe your looking through your footy glasses rather than being concerned for someone health & well being.. If he was your son what would you do???

Love the quote on the dimmies and Sherman. Very funny!! Felt like some dimmies yesterday but they didn't have any. Did they all go to the ladies day lunch or don't you guys have the good dimmies? I'm over Sherman he can stay in the GV.

Lets catch up again if Pacco & Greenvale meet in a prelim, but we have to get past Keilor first..

Turbo, the stretcher was called for mate. Hill got up and walked off with the assistance of trainers in the end but the stretcher was called for and as such the game was stopped, as it would have been had they called for it when Ross was injured. Again with the injury you obviously saw something no one else did because I am sure that had it been of the nature you imply at least one Pacco player would have gone in. Or are you implying that maybe they were intimidated or scared of Greenvale ( I would be very surprised if this was the case as there are several hard nuts in the Pacco side). Either way not a good call.

With regards to players talking to umpires, it happens all the time. They all know each other if they have been around for a while. I don't know what you heard but to imply that there was a bias towards Greenvale because of a discussion between a Greenvale player and the umpire is really scraping the excuse barrel. I agreed the umpires had a bad day towards both and if they got the video of the game they would be able to see and agree with us. Everyone has a bad game now and then. If you had a look at the same video you might have no choice but to accept that it was not as one sided as you are making out.

I hope for Greenvales sake you are wrong about Tom Hill. He is impressive and would be a big loss for them.

Cheers KB. Good reply. I suppose we have different views on the incident and that's fair enough. You seem like a good fair person.
Yeah not much happened after the incident, but he was involved in every other scuffle throughout the day and had to change his jumper after it was torn.

You need to post more often and fill the BF followers in on your views of the game as I like reading your work..

Cheers

PS: my prior post to Jett was before I read yours..

Turbo, I've asked a couple of Pacco/Jets players their opinion of the Ross incident after I read your initial post and I have to say that respectfully, they saw it as an unfortunate byproduct of playing physical footy rather than targeting any one particular player.
Moving on, will Pacco be able to lift for next week?

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Turbo, I've asked a couple of Pacco/Jets players their opinion of the Ross incident after I read your initial post and I have to say that respectfully, they saw it as an unfortunate byproduct of playing physical footy rather than targeting any one particular player.
Moving on, will Pacco be able to lift for next week?

Hey mate, interested how you have spoken to a few players today, but I take your post on true value.
I am a keen watcher and often look around the ground so have a different view. I was standing on the club room side very close to the incident and I seen Lower run straight for him. He hit him hard and that impact isn't the normal run in and bump. He gathered good speed mate and even though the bump was maybe seen as "fair" (as it was flush and no head contact) he did line him up for impact to occur like that. Ross is pretty tough & courageous, and often tagged due to his profile but I'm still of the opinion it was deliberate. Oh well we will see what the players think of the incident on the video.
I understand why people are defending Lower as he is usually not this type of player, hence why I think he seen an opportunity, as usually he would be trying to get the loose ball in this situation, but he choose to bump.

Hey Turbo, credit for sticking to your guns. In the face of masses up against you it is obvious that you believe what you saw was different to the rest so let's agree to disagree on that one.

Interested to know where you think you lost the game (umpiring excluded). I was surprised that you did not dominate in the ruck with De Luca out. I thought Pacco ran the ball out of the backline really well and had Greenvale flat footed a few times but seemed to fall down across half forward with poor decisions allowing Greenvale to cut off the passes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You just don't quit

There was no charging. That just didn't happen. Others are telling you this but it suits your story better to be naming players. You are a liar and are embarrassing your club
To still be insinuating it was illegal is quite sad. No player even stopped and it happened right on front of the social club infront of 300 ppl so everyone had a pretty clear view. Nobody gave it a second thought but you.
You have no idea what Grant's coaching is like. That comment is highly offensive. How would you? You've never spoken to him. He'd be the absolute last person to come out with that garbage that your insinuating. Can't even remember a play he's tagged.
Your stuff on Hill is just as ordinary. He got a hard knock yesterday which is the first time this season. He went off with a neck/shoulder last time but you are absolutely lying saying he's been knocked out multiple time. It's just a lie and don't dare start asking ppl about their sons when you are making stuff up.
You seemed to have heard a lot of 'conversations' yesterday. You must be some busy body listening in to all these apparent conversations.
You don't watch in the right matter. You threaten violence, paybacks, motivation ect like a 3 year old.
You conveniently never acknowledge your fantasies when you are picked up on them. You just move onto the next one and throw more mud.

I'm done responding to you.

Hey Big Cat, if you know so much and like to write long posts defending your club then give the readers your version of how the incident occurred in where a player had to leave the ground during the first quarter and didn't return. I'm interested!! He was just tackled yeah! Or he fell over! Happens every game yeah!!
Your kidding yourself mate..

Yes it was in front of 300ppl who were mostly Greenvale people. He was on the ground for a while and Umpire not real interested in why a player is lying on ground. Oh now that's more lies yeah!! Cmon be honest..

Yes players often talk to umpires but usually when they are frustrated or losing. You were 4 goals up so I thought it was very strange, that's all.

I heard a Greenvale bench offical went over to the Pacco qrt time huddle and taking notes off the board. Was seen and politely told to f### off. Oh is that another lie as well..
That's not the proper thing to do..

Hey Turbo, credit for sticking to your guns. In the face of masses up against you it is obvious that you believe what you saw was different to the rest so let's agree to disagree on that one.

Interested to know where you think you lost the game (umpiring excluded). I was surprised that you did not dominate in the ruck with De Luca out. I thought Pacco ran the ball out of the backline really well and had Greenvale flat footed a few times but seemed to fall down across half forward with poor decisions allowing Greenvale to cut off the passes.

Hey KB, our main ruckman didn't play either however Greenvale were able to cover the ruck well with Smith & Shiners who have played there before. Greenvale more direct towards goal and did win the ruck duels even with Deluca out.
Centre clearances I thought were won by Greenvale and that's a strength of Paccos.
Yes you are right Pacco did run it out of the backline well but continue to make poor decisions or their foot skills into the forward line were poor. Actually thought we had some good match ups in the forward line but were to slow in allowing Greenvale onballers to get back.
Some quality on the Pacco forward line but overall the Greenvale backs did well.

Greenvale seem to work harder and created space as Pacco allowed opponents to drift forward into space creating goal scoring opportunities.
Both sides had players out but the depth at Greenvale is better as well there talls are more versitlle.
It was pretty even after quarter time, except for a short period during the last quarter when Pacco hit the post twice, Greenvale always in control.

You made the exact same comment last meeting in your "summary". Matt Smith has never played in the ruck. Not last time. Not this time. Never in 150 games. There's not a person in this league that doesn't know that.

You don't even know the players yet you can pinpoint with 100% other ppl.

Hey mate, interested how you have spoken to a few players today, but I take your post on true value.
I am a keen watcher and often look around the ground so have a different view. I was standing on the club room side very close to the incident and I seen Lower run straight for him. He hit him hard and that impact isn't the normal run in and bump. He gathered good speed mate and even though the bump was maybe seen as "fair" (as it was flush and no head contact) he did line him up for impact to occur like that. Ross is pretty tough & courageous, and often tagged due to his profile but I'm still of the opinion it was deliberate. Oh well we will see what the players think of the incident on the video.
I understand why people are defending Lower as he is usually not this type of player, hence why I think he seen an opportunity, as usually he would be trying to get the loose ball in this situation, but he choose to bump.

I'm a long term mate of a Pacco player.
Pretty simple really..

Last edited:
Wheels are falling off Turbo. How was the grass and goalpost height out there?

Back to the footy. Finals preview this week. Abers v Pacco but the game of the round will be Keilor at home to the Jets

Keilor are absolutely flying. An offense machine and have to make a statement this week I reckon. Hopefully Browne is back as if they can get the ball forward the Jets are going to be up against it.

Nobody will get near Abers but I reckon Keilor may be able to get Greenvale and Pacco. .

Anybody know when some of the big names will be back eg Brewer, De Luca, Vespremmi, Randello and Ross

Back to the footy. Finals preview this week. Abers v Pacco but the game of the round will be Keilor at home to the Jets

Keilor are absolutely flying. An offense machine and have to make a statement this week I reckon. Hopefully Browne is back as if they can get the ball forward the Jets are going to be up against it.

Nobody will get near Abers but I reckon Keilor may be able to get Greenvale and Pacco. .

Anybody know when some of the big names will be back eg Brewer, De Luca, Vespremmi, Randello and Ross

Are the top 4 so far above the others, keilor win by 40, abers win by 20.
Why have strathmore dropped so far off the pace, are heights where they should be, do you just Blame injuries for maribyrnongs drop, wests are the best of the rest, threatened a few times.
The teams already gone will turn it around for next year, big off season for them, what will the points cap do?

me heard Hill will be ok and still playing this season thinking turbo just hopeful as hill given pacco worries and they won't want him in final simpl....

de Luca and brewer back next week,, Ross miss two weeks and Randell out for yr

Keilor like lot of Mick first yr their and have heep of depth an so well their going so they seem the one as all other 3 keep having injures come up like pacco got 4/5 out and no depth,,, aber flying along and depth no issue but heard they got few injuries yesterday long terms,,, Greenvale still got some out but depth no issue to and showed pacco what everyone else knows they gonna struggle with a few outs....

Hutchy- you crack me up mate.
Grass was ok but players saying a bit heavy under foot but overall ground was pretty good. Didn't get to measure the goal posts but they did appear to be a bit thicker than usual hence we kicked a few posters. Joking!!

It's been a different season and will be a boring last 3 rounds with the 4 settled and we know who will be playing each other in the first week of finals. Northern Saints going down and the top 4 positions really can't move.
So will all finals sides start to rest players? Will the other side's give some youngsters a game to see if they have have what it takes to play seniors.

Now I've expressed my views on the points system many times it's just going to see Abers, Greenvale & Keilor stay top 3 for the next 5 years. Bit like all the rule changes and testing local players for drugs. Just another stupid idea from some clown in the afl with no idea.
Clubs will need to employ list managers and recruiters to scout juniors. So an extra 10-15k min needs to found to pay these guys alone.

Mate I prefer to not to guess on injuries as I'm not a doctor, but Pacco have been hit hard by injuries to some good players.

Hutchy- you crack me up mate.
Grass was ok but players saying a bit heavy under foot but overall ground was pretty good. Didn't get to measure the goal posts but they did appear to be a bit thicker than usual hence we kicked a few posters. Joking!!

It's been a different season and will be a boring last 3 rounds with the 4 settled and we know who will be playing each other in the first week of finals. Northern Saints going down and the top 4 positions really can't move.
So will all finals sides start to rest players? Will the other side's give some youngsters a game to see if they have have what it takes to play seniors.

Now I've expressed my views on the points system many times it's just going to see Abers, Greenvale & Keilor stay top 3 for the next 5 years. Bit like all the rule changes and testing local players for drugs. Just another stupid idea from some clown in the afl with no idea.
Clubs will need to employ list managers and recruiters to scout juniors. So an extra 10-15k min needs to found to pay these guys alone.

Mate I prefer to not to guess on injuries as I'm not a doctor, but Pacco have been hit hard by injuries to some good players.

Turbo how would it be feasible that a metro club would be allowed higher points than a country club over 300kms from melbourne with a declining population? If the points system is to work all metro clubs should be cut at 30 points, with the allowance of 1marquee player that doesn't get added to their points, no club in victoria will be allowed over 50 as there is no point in having a state wide points system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back