Essendon vow enough is enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks crossed the line but also gave as good as they got during that era.

No media friends to defend us though.

Imagine essendon copping the treatment they're dishing out, there'd be media campaigns to have every opponent suspended (eg. Sicily on mcgrath)
lol
we got your guy off
Newc whines to ump and Redman gets a week.

please.

Dixon, Dermie, Dunstall, Hodge, Lewis, Howie not friends enough?

Where is your Luke Hodge?
Yet to be revealed. Hodge wasnt the man he was at 19 that he was at 25. That was years of development. That is the process weve started engaging in so Perkins, Hobbs, Caldwell, Durham, dont end up like Parish and Heppell and actually thrive in physicality.

How quickly Hawks supporters forget.
Still, if Hawthorn decide take it up a notch and become unsociable again, are you going to be first in line to criticise your team for doing so?

I'm not even criticizing essendon.
I'm criticisng the media.

Go the biff, and if you cross the line (as hawks did numerous times), cop your wack.

The one on the weekend is not too dissimilar to brown on kreuzer way back when

Essendon really have embarrassed themselves as a club this week.

Mouth off about being tough and get done for a couple of cheap shots - Drapers's a real coward act - then the players hid in the shadows when it was time to get the hardball.

If a team could be described as a player, they would be Campbell Brown.

I personally thought he was stiff in the way the collision happened.
I don't think he is really a dirty player at all. But he'll get 3 weeks.

He could have saved himself from a suspension by putting the arms out for a mark. It would have done the same damage to Cunningham & upheld the "Essendon Edge" that the club is so desperate for.

Instead the Bombers made no ground on our previous 2 games in which you beat us by 9 or so points at the G in 2022 & we beat you by 2 points in 2023.
Apart from showing your supporters some perceived toughness which doesn't come naturally from many of today's current AFL footballers, the Bombers failed badly in gaining any ground on us, which ultimately is what Scott was trying to do.
We scored 131 points which could easily have been far more, & you lost by a bigger margin, 30 points.
That's a fail on Scott's part. The coach he replaced did better.

I think you have a reasonable enough team that was going to contend eventually with natural improvement from the younger players. This other stuff is just fluff from any team that tries it. I hate it when my team goes up to opposition players with this pre game nonsense that we used on Nick Daicos a few years ago. Hate it. It's so fake & unnatural.
Go hard at the ball & then you may find some opposition players get hurt when they get in the way of natural aggression at the ball.

Anyway, that's my view for what it's worth.
As previously said, this isn't based around playing Sydney. Wright's hit was a collision that has happened before and will happen again in footy. He'll cop his rightfull whack. The rest of this whole thing, taking away it's shitty name, is to get the players to finally understand it takes getting bruises to win games of footy. If we come out sniping and laying cheap shots this week I'll be disapointed as that's not what I want, I want players putting boidies where they need to be when they need to be. Not standing 1/2m away with limp arms having to impact on the ball. This is what Essendon fans are talking about when we say we liked the game, not applauding Wright for his hit.

Sydney beating us by more this time has nothing to do with previous games so I'm not sure why that is even a discussion.

Mouth off about being tough and get done for a couple of cheap shots - Drapers's a real coward act - then the players hid in the shadows when it was time to get the hardball.

Lol. Contested possessions equal, handball gets by 12, won clearances by 10. They got us on the outside not the hard ball.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your players were 'going in hard' every game but lost by 5 goals, at the end of the season what would you make of it??
At the end of the day the way out for any football club is to get better at football.
"going in hard" is just a distraction when you suck at football.

Geez the swans bandwagon is chock a block right now. Ride it all the way.

we won the clearances and contested possessions

hard ball wasn't the issue.
just not very good at defending the rebound.

we won the clearances and contested possessions

hard ball wasn't the issue.
just not very good at defending the rebound.
So pretty much the same problem you’ve had for quite a few years.
Players like Stringer are the reason you get scored against when you don’t have the ball. He doesn’t work hard the other way. As long as he kicks his 3 or 4 goals, Scott wouldn’t be too concerned but if he doesn’t hit the scoreboard then questions will be asked.

So pretty much the same problem you’ve had for quite a few years.
Players like Stringer are the reason you get scored against when you don’t have the ball. He doesn’t work hard the other way. As long as he kicks his 3 or 4 goals, Scott wouldn’t be too concerned but if he doesn’t hit the scoreboard then questions will be asked.
id say there's 4 issues

1-we're a poor contested marking side. Particularly in f50 and midfield
2-since tippa left our smalls dont really pressure the ball when it hits the deck
3-our midfield/wing defence needs a lot of work on when and who pressures the ball, who guards the wider spaces and who's getting back
4-heppell is still playing in our backline. Missing ridley, redman and getting a run out of reid as a 200cm+ key back doesnt help things.

id say there's 4 issues

1-we're a poor contested marking side. Particularly in f50 and midfield
2-since tippa left our smalls dont really pressure the ball when it hits the deck
3-our midfield/wing defence needs a lot of work on when and who pressures the ball, who guards the wider spaces and who's getting back
4-heppell is still playing in our backline. Missing ridley, redman and getting a run out of reid as a 200cm+ key back doesnt help things.
Ridley & Redman alone make you a much better team without all this edge crap from Scott. They can play those boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back