Essendon vow enough is enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon have shown they are still willing to do "whatever it takes", except for what it actually takes, which is hard work and discipline.

They're a mediocre club riddled with mediocre men, and won't win that elusive final until the place has been cleansed with flame.
Thank you for your insightful and valuable contribution.

I don’t think they were very thuggish before or after that.

People just somehow connect them getting good 3 years later as somehow related to a melee in a game they got flogged in.

They weren’t really known for being tough until 2008 I think.
They absoutely were afterwards, at least in our games. Year after that game Brown got suspended for 4 games for striking lloyd, a few fines for a melee, brown also tried to take off peverils head in a bump but missed.

Nick Hind throwing that elbow is genuinely hilarious.

He would have got a minimum of 10 weeks had that connected.

Essendon edge.

They absoutely were afterwards, at least in our games. Year after that game Brown got suspended for 4 games for striking lloyd, a few fines for a melee, brown also tried to take off peverils head in a bump but missed.

That’s just Campbell brown though.

Point being people trying to draw a straight line from 2004 line in sand game to hawks 2008 flag and further flags are stupid.

Do every game revolves around playing Sydney, did you see any of Essendon's games towards the end of last season? an under 16 team would have outdone us in the physical stakes.

Again, I find it bloody funny Swans fans are so up in arms about this. If Papley wasn't such a sook this wouldn't even be a thread
No one is up in arms.
We are just enjoying the win and commenting on how well Brad’s faux tough guy act helped North. I suppose knocking a guy half your size out is better than the resorting to needles but it’s probably just as unproductive.

No one is up in arms.
We are just enjoying the win and commenting on how well Brad’s faux tough guy act helped North. I suppose knocking a guy half your size out is better than the resorting to needles but it’s probably just as unproductive.
I get it, your player was hurt so your feelings are hurt. It's ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Hind throwing that elbow is genuinely hilarious.

He would have got a minimum of 10 weeks had that connected.

Essendon edge.

Hind being picked is a worse punishment for Essendon

That’s just Campbell brown though.

Point being people trying to draw a straight line from 2004 line in sand game to hawks 2008 flag and further flags are stupid.

It wasn't just Campbell Brown though. 2006 Vandenberg 4 weeks for elbowing in the face. Guerra 3 games and 2 games for striking. 2007 Hodge, Lewis and Crawford suspended for striking in the same game.

The era of unsocialable Hawks started way before they were good. If you want to think it was unrelated to their success so be it. But it forged Hodge to be the hardest captain in the game.

It wasn't just Campbell Brown though. 2006 Vandenberg 4 weeks for elbowing in the face. Guerra 3 games and 2 games for striking. 2007 Hodge, Lewis and Crawford suspended for striking in the same game.

The era of unsocialable Hawks started way before they were good. If you want to think it was unrelated to their success so be it. But it forged Hodge to be the hardest captain in the game.

Way more relevant to them being good was getting Franklin, roughy and Lewis in the one draft. And a gun coach who was ahead of the curve tactically.

Hawks crossed the line but also gave as good as they got during that era.

No media friends to defend us though.

Imagine essendon copping the treatment they're dishing out, there'd be media campaigns to have every opponent suspended (eg. Sicily on mcgrath)

Hawks crossed the line but also gave as good as they got during that era.

No media friends to defend us though.

Imagine essendon copping the treatment they're dishing out, there'd be media campaigns to have every opponent suspended (eg. Sicily on mcgrath)
How quickly Hawks supporters forget.
Still, if Hawthorn decide take it up a notch and become unsociable again, are you going to be first in line to criticise your team for doing so?

Where is your Luke Hodge?

Do every game revolves around playing Sydney, did you see any of Essendon's games towards the end of last season? an under 16 team would have outdone us in the physical stakes.

Again, I find it bloody funny Swans fans are so up in arms about this. If Papley wasn't such a sook this wouldn't even be a thread
I personally thought he was stiff in the way the collision happened.
I don't think he is really a dirty player at all. But he'll get 3 weeks.

He could have saved himself from a suspension by putting the arms out for a mark. It would have done the same damage to Cunningham & upheld the "Essendon Edge" that the club is so desperate for.

Instead the Bombers made no ground on our previous 2 games in which you beat us by 9 or so points at the G in 2022 & we beat you by 2 points in 2023.
Apart from showing your supporters some perceived toughness which doesn't come naturally from many of today's current AFL footballers, the Bombers failed badly in gaining any ground on us, which ultimately is what Scott was trying to do.
We scored 131 points which could easily have been far more, & you lost by a bigger margin, 30 points.
That's a fail on Scott's part. The coach he replaced did better.

I think you have a reasonable enough team that was going to contend eventually with natural improvement from the younger players. This other stuff is just fluff from any team that tries it. I hate it when my team goes up to opposition players with this pre game nonsense that we used on Nick Daicos a few years ago. Hate it. It's so fake & unnatural.
Go hard at the ball & then you may find some opposition players get hurt when they get in the way of natural aggression at the ball.

Anyway, that's my view for what it's worth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back