essendons pick 51....

Remove this Banner Ad

wizardofoz18

Draftee
Jun 8, 2004
Other Teams
bombers
sheeds just on 3aw basically said that there is NO rule saying you have to use you ORIGINAL 3rd round pick for the f/s selection in the draft... it just says clubs have to use 'their' 3rd round selection.....and basically 39 AND 59 are both THEIR picks in the draft... so stay tuned for a bit of a battle etc...

i believe what he says is very reasonably etc... it should be any 3rd round pick if you have more than one

wizardofoz18 said:
sheeds just on 3aw basically said that there is NO rule saying you have to use you ORIGINAL 3rd round pick for the f/s selection in the draft... it just says clubs have to use 'their' 3rd round selection.....and basically 39 AND 59 are both THEIR picks in the draft... so stay tuned for a bit of a battle etc...

i believe what he says is very reasonably etc... it should be any 3rd round pick if you have more than one
Two picks in the same round can't be twenty picks apart. Think about it.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
That would be pick #55. Two picks in the same round can't be twenty picks apart. Think about it.

Actually pick #51 now, traded 55 and richards, for 19 and 51

daveyboy3 said:
Actually pick #51 now, traded 55 and richards, for 19 and 51
Yeah, thought it was the other way around.

Also, I'm not sure he's going to be successful on this one.

A couple of years back, when we took both Brayden and Heath Shaw in the same draft, we had to give up a 2nd round pick, even though we had an extra third round pick.

Personally as an Essendon supporter, hope it backfires, just to show the ********wits, Sheedy has lost it, and is trying any trick in the book, to sucker the fans into thinking he is still king ... haha we are a deluded bunch now a days at Windy Hill

mcphee is king said:
Personally as an Essendon supporter, hope it backfires, just to show the ********wits, Sheedy has lost it, and is trying any trick in the book, to sucker the fans into thinking he is still king ... haha we are a deluded bunch now a days at Windy Hill

As an essendon supporter you hope that we are worse off ?

Are you that ******** from BB? plz stay there.

mcphee is king said:

Get a life Sheedy is still King...Name someone better??? :eek:

wizardofoz18 said:

good try but no cigar im afraid. have to use ur original pick...........even though 51 or 191 is closer to the mark of what jay neagle is worth.

39 or 51 for neagle i feel a court battle looming, the rules do say u have to use a 3rd round pick, it doesn't indicate which one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blumfieldisback said:
39 or 51 for neagle i feel a court battle looming, the rules do say u have to use a 3rd round pick, it doesn't indicate which one

Just another example of the afl trying to make the rules up as they go along.

blumfieldisback said:

but when they agreed to take Neagle it was prior to them actually having pick 51 so surely it is 39 that is committed.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
Yeah, thought it was the other way around.

Also, I'm not sure he's going to be successful on this one.

A couple of years back, when we took both Brayden and Heath Shaw in the same draft, we had to give up a 2nd round pick, even though we had an extra third round pick.

The rules are:

first f/S pick = 3rd rounder.
if you want a second f/s the same year, then that costs a 2nd rounder.

Adrian1 said:
but when they agreed to take Neagle it was prior to them actually having pick 51 so surely it is 39 that is committed.

Although we have agreed to take Neagle, I don't think it is official (as far as the AFL are concerned). Papers don't have to be lodged until just before the draft I think.

Wouldn't be surprised if Essendon trade pick 39 today - then what is the AFL going to do ? Our only 3rd round pick will be 51.

if we do that, and the AFL doesn't back down then we'll be using pick #7 to get Neagle. Yeah that would be smart.

Wally192 said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Essendon trade pick 39 today - then what is the AFL going to do ? Our only 3rd round pick will be 51.

I knew from years ago that if you want a f/s pick you cannot trade that relevant pick. So you would forfeit any f/s pick if you traded it. I've known that for years and I'm a no-one...... shees these media people and coaches and officials keep amazing me with their ignorance.

Has anyone actually got a copy of the official AFL wording on the father/son rule, or able to post a link of it?

The AFL website has an info sheet on it but that is useless as it doesn't explain the exact rules.

I have a feeling that it has always been intended that a club uses its origional 3rd pick, and that is how everyone has assumed it to be, however it might be a case of it never actually having been officially written down. Sheedy might be techinically right. Will be very interesting to see how this all goes down, and how hard Essendon fights to use pick 51 on Neagle if that is the case.

I can bet you that if Essendon does win this one that the AFL will quickly shut it down for next year otherwise a huge can of worms has been openend. Imagine if the wooden spoon team had a father/son choice and could effectively swap their 3rd round choices with the premiers for a player and effectivly lose nothing!

Philzsay said:
Has anyone actually got a copy of the official AFL wording on the father/son rule, or able to post a link of it?

The AFL website has an info sheet on it but that is useless as it doesn't explain the exact rules.

I have a feeling that it has always been intended that a club uses its origional 3rd pick, and that is how everyone has assumed it to be, however it might be a case of it never actually having been officially written down. Sheedy might be techinically right. Will be very interesting to see how this all goes down, and how hard Essendon fights to use pick 51 on Neagle if that is the case.

I can bet you that if Essendon does win this one that the AFL will quickly shut it down for next year otherwise a huge can of worms has been openend. Imagine if the wooden spoon team had a father/son choice and could effectively swap their 3rd round choices with the premiers for a player and effectivly lose nothing!

The wording in AFL 2005 says their 3rd round selection. All depends how you interpret it, but I would read that as saying their selection before trade week.

I'm sure clubs would have tried to exploit this loophole before - I can't see Essendon getting away with it.

Of course the main reason they are doing it is they know pick 39 is well over the odds for Neagle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back