Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

He won't do it, I'm sure. He's having way too much fun in the media.

I really doubt he'd consider any coaching job at all.

Especially as he's seen 3 coaches just get the arse. Can't imagine the cutthroat nature of being a senior coach is selling itself ATM.

I thought i'd drag this here, out of the celebration thread,
I know this is my personal hobby horse at the moment. (brought it up at the members forum too)

But:

this is a big day for our club after a great week that has really shown our club to have rebounded from a poor position last year. We have now welcomed two quality players and we have an energy aroundt hep alce we haven't really had for years, a great timet o get behind the club and give credit where it is due ...

... anyone heard anything from our number one ticket holder?
It was a very valid question at the forum and got the expected response from the other members, we all wonder the same. (Actually "wonder" isn't the right word, because we all know the answer is a definitive "NO").
That said, with us chasing funding in the immediate future, as well as possibly some favourable decisions in our chase for a new base and an election looming, I think we should wait a bit longer before dumbing the one we have. Gotta be politically smart about this, particularly as she might not be the wife of the Premier much longer and wait until we have negotiated our needs or her hubby is of no more use, whichever comes first.

I thought i'd drag this here, out of the celebration thread,

It was a very valid question at the forum and got the expected response from the other members, we all wonder the same. (Actually "wonder" isn't the right word, because we all know the answer is a definitive "NO").
That said, with us chasing funding in the immediate future, as well as possibly some favourable decisions in our chase for a new base and an election looming, I think we should wait a bit longer before dumbing the one we have. Gotta be politically smart about this, particularly as she might not be the wife of the Premier much longer and wait until we have negotiated our needs or her hubby is of no more use, whichever comes first.
I don't disagree I think there is an extent to which the club hasn't until recently had the #swagger to try and make more of LN, so we will see.

I don't disagree I think there is an extent to which the club hasn't until recently had the #swagger to try and make more of LN, so we will see.
Actually that's a pretty good point. Maybe she hasn't done anything off her own bat, but what has the club asked of her up to this point? Maybe if the ask, they might receive.

And while I'm on the random thread, I never realised just how close together Ryan Griffen's
eyes are.

736871-5e9c1b1e-4f8c-11e4-bf47-e615db9af88e.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pronounced "dead-mou-five".

At least it wasn't a swarm of bees ... that would've been more annoying.
James North you got a mention on the Fancast interview with Schwabby. Says he didn't know he had blocked you on Twitter - blamed it on Mr Tallon. Straight away knew your name though which might be a give away.

I've been thinking about the Tom Boyd trade and the media response to it, which has mostly been to criticise GWS for backing down from their original position and accepting an extremely good deal for Boyd.

I want to put the question out there to Lions fans: what if we were in the same position with James Aish? Say Collingwood's 'deadline' was ticking closer with the Pies sticking to their guns and demanding a player. And then Aish tells the Lions he wants to be traded to Collingwood, and that he'll leave at the end of next season anyway. Collingwood offer him stupid money, and ask for a straight swap - Aish for Beams. We keep picks 5, 25 and Crisp.

It's a great deal for us, but we have to go back on what we stated publicly.

Would you take the deal? Would you criticise the club if they took it? What if Collingwood improved their offer by throwing in an early draft pick and offering to pay some of Beams' salary, like the Dogs did?

I've been thinking about the Tom Boyd trade and the media response to it, which has mostly been to criticise GWS for backing down from their original position and accepting an extremely good deal for Boyd.

I want to put the question out there to Lions fans: what if we were in the same position with James Aish? Say Collingwood's 'deadline' was ticking closer with the Pies sticking to their guns and demanding a player. And then Aish tells the Lions he wants to be traded to Collingwood, and that he'll leave at the end of next season anyway. Collingwood offer him stupid money, and ask for a straight swap - Aish for Beams. We keep picks 5, 25 and Crisp.

Would you take the deal? Would you criticise the club if they took it? What if Collingwood improved their offer by throwing in an early draft pick and offering to pay some of Beams' salary, like the Dogs did?

It's tricky. I can understand the criticism of GWS backing down in terms of it sending a message to the rest of their young list.

At the same time though I wonder if GWS's thinking was "this was always bound to happen at some stage, we can cash him out for a pretty good return now and at the same time, this becomes a hell of a "moment of truth" for the AFL that could force their hand to introduce some better protections for clubs like us going forward".

In that context, the "we won't trade him under any circumstances" statement becomes less of an embarrassing backflip and instead simply helps accentuate how ultimately disempowered GWS were in the end and strengthens the case for better protection from the AFL in the future.

The AFL must certainly be getting spooked from back to back years of this "young players on the move" stuff... the GH5 in 2013 and the bleeding of youngsters by GWS in 2014... especially with it coinciding with what seems to be a huge weakening in the power of player contracts.

Last edited:
I think that the most important thing is to create an environment where people want to stay. Playing hardball on contract negotiations is secondary. GWS need to find a core of players who commit to the cause and demand that others do that same.

The problem right now is that they don't seem to have the right cultural building blocks in place that makes blokes want to hang around. That can develop quickly though - we seemed to have managed it in a 12 month period.

In an instant I would take the straight swap. A proven elite that wants to be here, for a potential elite that does not want to? No brainer, IMO.

I would be angry at the club. Not for going back on their word and doing the deal, I think the deal is a no brainer. I would be angry that such a strong definitive statement was made in the first place. I appreciate the sentiment behind it, but those kind of statements are so damaging when they can't be upheld.
I would like to think that Leppa had some assurance from Aish before declaring "he's not going anywhere". They could have easily said "Boyd is not on the table", "We decide who comes & goes, not Boyd or the Bulldogs". It sends the same message but is open to change or negotiation.

Lions' dramatic turnaround

This time last year, the Brisbane Lions were on the nose. Five talented youngsters, widely thought to be the future of the Lions, walked out the door and it was a terrible look for the club. Elliot Yeo, Patrick Karnezis, Sam Docherty, Jared Polec and Billy Longer all had their reasons for wanting to return to their home states and when examined on an individual basis, there were compelling reasons for each to depart the club. Multiply that by five, however, and the Lions were painted as a club with a poor development program, where youngsters were drafted from all over Australia were pretty much left to fend for themselves.

Fast forward a year, and the environment at the Gabba could not be better. Two of the biggest names of the NAB AFL Trade Period, Dayne Beams and Allen Christensen, are Brisbane-bound. And the man to thank for the transformation of the Lions is coach Justin Leppitsch. Peter Schwab joined the Lions shortly after last year's mass exodus, initially as list manager before moving on to manage all matters to do with the list and talent acquisition. And while Greg Swann's appointment as chief executive in July brought some much-needed gravitas to the Lions (it was he who declared the Lions were open for business with a large hole in the salary cap), Leppitsch has changed the culture.

"Clearly the coach had to take a lot of the credit for creating the environment and the way he's managed it. It has been exceptional," Schwab said in an interview last week shortly after the Beams deal was consummated. "He came here with a clear direction about not just the game-plan but the way the football area of the club should operate. "He has shown he can coach from a tactical and directional perspective, but he also has a good manner and a good way of managing people.” Schwab believes the Lions copped a bad rap from the defections at the end of 2013. To lose five in one hit was almost the perfect storm, and in his view reflected unfairly on a number of proven football people who have work for the Lions.

"The perception out there was that the club was doing a lot wrong, but people like Dean Warren (general manager of football), Brett Burton (high performance manager) and Manny Lynch (head of welfare and culture) are great people who have been doing a good job for a long time now." There was plenty of introspection at the Lions in the wash-up of last year's departures. "You don't want that happening every year," Schwab admitted, "so we have worked hard to create an environment that people coming in here will enjoy."

Bringing in Beams and Christensen, two Queensland Academy selections and a father-son pick leaves the Lions out of next month's NAB AFL Draft until pick 67. Their midfield would now appear sorted, with Beams, Christensen, Daniel Rich (returning from an ACL injury), Tom Rockliff, Dayne Zorko, Josh Green and Jack Redden forming a group as deep and talented as any in the competition. The question now is, who will play deep forward to capitalise on all this run and carry? "You can't fix all the perceived problems with your structure in one off-season," Schwab said. "We hope Michael Close and Nathan Freeman will get opportunities and that Brent Staker and Luke McGuane come back and are fit. We know we need to find some options." If the Lions midfield in 2015 turns out to be as good as advertised, the club should have no troubles attracting decent key position players this time next year.

Good ol Nathan Freeman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back