Has Kruezer been terribly disappointing?

Remove this Banner Ad

How is this a thread?

Kruezer is an extremely promising player considering his age. However, I believe he has been overhyped to some extent. I would have taken Cotchin at #1.

He is a good ruckman but his real prowess is at ground level, his tap work can also be very effective. However, at this stage he is very one dimensional, he can only really play ruck, his marking overhead is certainly not a strength and I am not convinced he knows how to play forward.

Any bias aside, I would take Ryder ahead of Kruezer. My rationale being that Ryder can play in every thrid of the ground and his tap work is better I believe. He has played both forward and back effectively.

I acknowledge he was drafted 2 years earlier but I wouldn't trade him for Kruezer. On this year's numbers he is better performed.

Do reports that Kreuzer's knee has continued to be an issue and that he suffers swelling after every match change his recent performances in anyone's eyes. Apparantly he could be sat out the rest of the year on recommendations of his surgeon.

This could be a very interesting read back in a few years.I think he's an anazing talent.
Must be taken into consideration the time missed with a knee and that taken into account he's traveling nicely.
I've no doubt he will be one of the competitions stars in time.

Not bagging Kruezer but, if he doesn't get over his knee worries then he will be disappointing.
i doubt the club would extend his contract if his knee is that bad....well i hope they wouldnt, but after waite who knows.

The whole thread is ridiculous considering his age and knee injury, some posters are great harry hindsights saying they wouldve taken cothin at number one which is ridiculous. at the time any club wiould take the tall with talent to burn. This is better judged in a few years when kreuzer is physically at his peak(development wise in relation to playing as a tall or mid) much like cotchin is approaching currently. For mine there are much worse no1 picks then kreuzer and he will be a fantastic player.

Kruezer is an extremely promising player considering his age. However, I believe he has been overhyped to some extent. I would have taken Cotchin at #1.

He is a good ruckman but his real prowess is at ground level, his tap work can also be very effective. However, at this stage he is very one dimensional, he can only really play ruck, his marking overhead is certainly not a strength and I am not convinced he knows how to play forward.

Any bias aside, I would take Ryder ahead of Kruezer. My rationale being that Ryder can play in every thrid of the ground and his tap work is better I believe. He has played both forward and back effectively.

I acknowledge he was drafted 2 years earlier but I wouldn't trade him for Kruezer. On this year's numbers he is better performed.

As an Essendon supporter you are biased as you acknowledge. So you can't set aside that bias. Other people might make a conclusion you seem to have set aside that bias. You cant do that yourself as your own bias won't allow you to make such an assessment

What's Judd's excuse? OP?
Take it to Bay 13; thread is about Kreuzer.

Anyway it's disappointing his knee has let him down but it's hard to be disappointed in Kreuzer himself. We know what the lad can do, he works his butt off and has a lot of talent. Time is still on his side and considering his new 3 year contract I dare say Carlton are well aware of that.

Relax people.

Kreuzer looks promising but I do hold some fears for him. He reminds me so much of Josh Fraser. Josh was a great young ruckman, the media gushed over him. He was a goalkicking ruckman whose ruckwork was never a feature but who was mobile and great beneath his feet and was at times look upon as being another midfielder. Sound familiar.

In 2002 he kick 37 goals for the year, 3 in the prelim and 3 in the GF. He was a ruckman who was also almost good enough to be a stand aloneKPF, sound familiar. As a young man he was asked to shoulder Collingwoods ruck division befire he was physically ready. Still by 2006 he was domiating the year, named in the state side. A PCL injury in that game was the start of chronic injuries that wore him down and he became a shadow of the player he may have been.

Look up Fraser and Kreuzers stats from their 1st few seasons. They both played as ruckmen from day 1 and barely missed a game. Their stats are almost identical (Fraser prob a little ahead) and both in their early seasons were lauded as players who might reach the top of the game

Fraser was asked to do too much too soon at Collingwood. Carlton need to be careful Kreuzer doesn't head down the same path.

People may scoff at this but if you look at media about them early in their careers they were looked at in a very similar way. Because his career didn't pan out people forget how good a ruckman/follower Josh was in his early days

Why would you pick on someone who's had bad luck with injuries?
Then playing him out of position when he does get back in and kill his confidence means s**t coaching.

Take it to Bay 13; thread is about Kreuzer.

Anyway it's disappointing his knee has let him down but it's hard to be disappointed in Kreuzer himself. We know what the lad can do, he works his butt off and has a lot of talent. Time is still on his side and considering his new 3 year contract I dare say Carlton are well aware of that.

Relax people.

My apologies didn't realise I was on the main board.. I can stop be a knob end too...

Yes very unfortunately to cop a serious injury early in his career, many have proven with time that they can come back strongly.. Kreuzer has plenty of time on his side, given rucks best years are generally between 25-30 years old..

As you were!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have taken Cotchin as well. The only query over Cotchin was durability (remember he had a few niggles early that kept him out), but pre draft I certainly was leaning Cotchins way.

I dont think Richmond would have been in tears should we have taken Cotchin and they would up with Kruezer though.

I highlighted the important bit here.

And FWIW, he is a Ruck/ Ruck rover - we are kinda forced to play him as a forward due to lack of other options at present.

I acknowledge he was drafted 2 years earlier but I wouldn't trade him for Kruezer. On this year's numbers he is better performed

Ryder has had effectively 3 more years in the system - dont forget Kruezers knee injury taking him out for a year. His output dropped off when he returned as well, and the Knee has clearly been a speedbump in his development (and we all know that generally talls take more time anyway).

From watching Kruezer carefully, the knee injury is still bothering him. Medically he still has a few niggles with it (the numbness in his foot, hamstring tightness recently) and his confidence with it still isnt quite 100% (no doubt in part due to the above).

As a 23 year old ruckman (turned 23 in May) coming off a serious injury, he's currently averaging 13 possessions, 4 marks, 3 tackles and 20 hitouts (mostly to advantage), and a zillion one percenters (not that far behind Ryder with 14 possies, 5 marks, 2.5 tackles and 21 hitouts). Considering, hes 50 games and 2 preseasons behind Ryder at this stage of his career, has has had a few niggles this season, and the side has generally struggled for half of the season, he's certainly not disgracing himself.

He seems like a confidence player and his bloody knee is restricting him. Obviously, he is not playing like we hope he can but it's still very early in his career (hope so - knee probs). I'm not too worried yet as he is still valuble, even at 80%.

Just on the Kreuzer/Fraser comparison. Please remember that talent was NEVER an issue for Fraser. His issue has always been a lack of heart, guts and competitive spirit. Those are 3 things Kreuzer has in spades, to go along with his obviously large amount of talent.

Ha ha. Cant believe the Kruezer excuses on here.

Next the GFC has affected his output, simply been too preoccupied with the share market to focus on footy wouldn't surprise!

Fact is, he has been ordinary so far. Shown no signs of being a top ruckman or forward, and doesn't seem to be improving at all (injuries or otherwise). I hope he does for Blues fans, but at least call it as it is.

the first time i saw kruezer play it was evident straight away why carlton didn't wanna give up the number one pick... he has all the attributes required, but this knee injury is obviously quite a significant problem...

hopefully he gets back because he's one of the games brightest talent in an area brimming with talent - nicnat, goldstein, ryder, z smith, luenberger and hopefully kruezer are all bound for some great match ups over the years.

the first time i saw kruezer play it was evident straight away why carlton didn't wanna give up the number one pick... he has all the attributes required, but this knee injury is obviously quite a significant problem...

hopefully he gets back because he's one of the games brightest talent in an area brimming with talent - nicnat, goldstein, ryder, z smith, luenberger and hopefully kruezer are all bound for some great match ups over the years.

His knee injury was a bad one. Not only did he tear his ACL but had significant meniscal damage too. I'm not surprised to hear that it swells up. He is champ though and Carlton will not regret their choice. He is still very young for a ruckman.

Ha ha. Cant believe the Kruezer excuses on here.

An ACL injury, and a year out of the game as a result, is not an 'excuse'.

Fact is, he has been ordinary so far. Shown no signs of being a top ruckman or forward, and doesn't seem to be improving at all (injuries or otherwise).
u-mad-troll-face-c20ad4d76fe97759aa27a0c99bff6710-5.gif

Just on the Kreuzer/Fraser comparison. Please remember that talent was NEVER an issue for Fraser. His issue has always been a lack of heart, guts and competitive spirit. Those are 3 things Kreuzer has in spades, to go along with his obviously large amount of talent.

That's my point. People have a very jaundiced view of Fraser because of how his career ended. As a young player he was a great footballer very similar to Kreuzer. He didn't lack for competitive spirit as a young player. He produce big efforts in finals. . Kreuzer is also slightly undersized and has been asked to carry a great physical load from very early in his career. He is already being limited by injury. Carlton need to treat him with kid gloves

An ACL injury, and a year out of the game as a result, is not an 'excuse'.

Typical Carlton supporter. Next Gibbs needs more time to develop o_O

All talk, no results......no wonder why Kreuzer suits your club.

ps: I think he is doing OK, but wise no 1 pick and future star.....ahhhh, no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back