How close are we to the Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you're taking the piss there?

Absolutely not - best swing bowler in Australia and can exploit the weaknesses of the English opening batsmen. Vastly underrated bowler, is the Hilf.

From my new house in Balwyn I'm 21.1 Kilometres away which is about 28 minutes depending on traffic. Hopefully when I get my licence ill be able to drive there and check out our ground.

From my new house the shortest distance according to google maps is actually 19.2 kilometres. Much closer than before as I was about 30 kilometres away.

December 22 - : 53.4km

Now - December 21: 16,148.2km :eek:

Needless to say, I won't be going to a training session this year.

Where the bloody hell are ya?!

Morgantown, West Virginia. Where sports dreams go to die.

But hey, at least THIS football team doesn't share its home ground...

How'd you end up all the way out there?

From my new house the shortest distance according to google maps is actually 19.2 kilometres. Much closer than before as I was about 30 kilometres away.

Shortest distance from 19.2km make that 18.7km to be exact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely not - best swing bowler in Australia and can exploit the weaknesses of the English opening batsmen. Vastly underrated bowler, is the Hilf.
Yeah, I was just thinking that we need another spud to bowl on the legs of Alistair Cook:rolleyes:

I use to like Hilfy but for whatever reason he'd get this idea of bowling short or short of a length when playing test cricket when he needed to pitch it up with his strength being big outswingers.

Is just a state level cricketer IMO and there is a lot more people that should get a national gig ahead of him.

house in west Footscray 1/2km away 5min walk the good old days but moved to Tassie now 2hrs away

ha ha - I'm very similar
folks still live in the family home about 500m away from WO
I need to take a cut lunch when I go to the footy
having said that, and I've said this before, getting to Etihad from Footscray by car is an absolute breeze, sometimes I can't believe how easy it is
anyone who has spent any time in Sydney will understand how good we have it in Melbourne

Yeah, I was just thinking that we need another spud to bowl on the legs of Alistair Cook:rolleyes:

I use to like Hilfy but for whatever reason he'd get this idea of bowling short or short of a length when playing test cricket when he needed to pitch it up with his strength being big outswingers.

Is just a state level cricketer IMO and there is a lot more people that should get a national gig ahead of him.

Hilfy prospered under McDermott, he finally got his line and length right around 2011-12 and only injuries curtailed a very good run. Australian wickets generally aren't easy to generate swing on but he does it easily.
I don't necessarily think he's the best bowler in the country nor has the most potential, but in my opinion you pick the bowlers best suited for the job at hand, and I'd have Hilfy bowling tight outswingers rather than the erratic Johnson (except on the WACA) or Starc. I'm quite happy with Siddle, Pattinson and Harris - that's my ideal lineup free of injury, but obviously Pattinson and Harris can't be relied upon injury-wise and as such I'd have Hilfenhaus in. Particularly now McDermott's back.
The selectors seem to be grasping the principle of picking your best team, not your team with the most potential. Rogers was an astute selection, Bailey should prove to be, and I think we've seen the back of every NSW quick who's played more than 2 FC matches getting a baggy green.

Hilfy prospered under McDermott, he finally got his line and length right around 2011-12 and only injuries curtailed a very good run. Australian wickets generally aren't easy to generate swing on but he does it easily.
I don't necessarily think he's the best bowler in the country nor has the most potential, but in my opinion you pick the bowlers best suited for the job at hand, and I'd have Hilfy bowling tight outswingers rather than the erratic Johnson (except on the WACA) or Starc. I'm quite happy with Siddle, Pattinson and Harris - that's my ideal lineup free of injury, but obviously Pattinson and Harris can't be relied upon injury-wise and as such I'd have Hilfenhaus in. Particularly now McDermott's back.
The selectors seem to be grasping the principle of picking your best team, not your team with the most potential. Rogers was an astute selection, Bailey should prove to be, and I think we've seen the back of every NSW quick who's played more than 2 FC matches getting a baggy green.
I understand your premise but the fact is that Hilfy was shocking in 2 Ashes series and never looked liked troubling the poms. He had a good series against India albeit on Aussie soil which I wouldn't look that far in to.

Potential aside Hilfy should still not/will not be getting a game and when Cummins, Pattinson, Starc and Bird are back he'll slide further down the pecking order. If he starts taking bulk wickets at shield level then of course he should be considered, I just don't think he has the versatility and consistency to perform at an international standard.

about 800 metres as the crow flys.

Here's a slightly different question.

With all the construction and changes which have occurred to the WO neighbourhood - which dwelling is officially the closest possible liveable dwelling to WO?

Just having a look at google maps - I think the answer would have to be those houses opposite the Doug Hawkins wing on Gordon st.

The distance from the old wing boundary to Gordon st is not much at all.

People will recall that's where that old standing room tin shed was, and if you had your back to the brick at the top terrace, you were basically overhanging Gordon St at the precise point.

Anyone ever get off West Footscray station at midnight and have to walk down Gordon St, along WO underneath that grand stand?

Talk about shitting your pants.

I did it a few times in my teenage years (you could catch the last train for free from St Albans or Sunshine because there was literally no one around) - I never encoutered a problem, but bloody hell, talk about feeling vulnerable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back