How many picks do each club have in the rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Be great if you could let me know how many picks your clubs will be taking into the rookie draft. Let me know what international players you have coming as well.

At the moment Snoop, we only have 1, however this is where it gets interesting..

We have apparently committed to re drafting Steinberg, however, we have "showed intent" to drafting father/son option Tom Fields in the rookie draft.

At the moment we have Hal Hunter, Lauchlan Dalgleish, Corey Dell'Ollio, however, I can see us moving on one of Dell or Hunter..

We do however have a selection in the PSD which we may take Fields (or Steinberg) with.

GWS can have up to 9, but with 48 on the senior list I can't see more than 2-3 being taken depending on who's there, if any.

There was only one taken last year in Sam Frost at #1, who has now been promoted. In 2010 the Giants had the first 8 rookie selections, taking only 6; Clifton and Giles were promoted to the senior list before entering the AFL (Clifton now delisted), Phillips and Cooyou were kept as rookies (Phillips promoted, Cooyou delisted) and Savage and Stevens were gone before 2012 (Stevens was at the club for barely a month after the rookie draft before returning to WA, while I think Savage played the 2011 NEAFL season but wasn't retained).

- entering with 0 rookies
- 9 rookie spots available from 2012-2019

2012 rookies:
- Andrew Phillips (promoted)
- Sam Frost (promoted)
- Rhys Cooyou (delisted)

Swnas currently have:
  • Shane Biggs (retained from 2012 rookie list)
They have committed to bringing in:
  • Alex Starling (international)
  • Daniel Robinson (NSW scholarship)
Biggs will be a Cat A rookie and Starling and Robinson will take 2 of the 3 Cat B spots
By passing over 3 ND picks yesterday (assume one is for taking Tippett in the PSD), the Swans look like they're going for 2 more on the rookie list than the required minimum. I think this means we can have up to 5 more Cat A rookies and 1 more Cat B rookie. Of course the Swans can pick more players up in the PSD, and for every player they do so, reduce the number of rookie picks by 1.

Carlton have 2 spots free on their list, be it for the Senior list of the Rookie list. I think the most likely outcome would be one for the PSD/delisted FA and one for the Rookie list.

It depends which list the old (as opposed to those ones graduating this year) NSW Scholarship kids end up on, normal or developmental. We've got Newell on our rookie list so we either have 2 picks plus 1 zone pick, or 1 pick plus two zone picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what is the rookie and psd draft order?

Going off the passes in the ND, and adding in 2 picks for Freo (McPhee and Anthony) and 1 for Adelaide (Tippett) this is what I get:
Round 1
1. GWS
2. Bulldogs
3. Port Adelaide
4. Richmond
5. Essendon
6. Carlton
7. Fremantle
8. Collingwood
9. Adelaide
10. Sydney
Round 2
11. GWS
12. Richmond
13. Carlton
14. Fremantle
15. Sydney
Round 3
16. Sydney

The complexity is whether clubs include veterans inside or outside the list; also confusing Cat A and Cat B rookies. But without going through all the permutations I think things will end up looking fairly close to this.

PSD
1. GWS (Pass)
2. Essendon (or pick 8 in the rookie)
3. Adelaide (Joyce)
4. Sydney (Tippett)

Rookie

1. GWS
2. Gold Coast
3. Melbourne
4. Bulldogs
5. Port Adelaide
6. Brisbane
7. Richmond
8. Essendon (or that pick 2 in the PSD)
9. Carlton
10.North Melbourne
11. Fremantle
12. West Coast
13. Collingwood
14. Adelaide
15.Hawthorn
16. Sydney
17. GWS
18. Gold Coast
19. Bulldogs
20. Port Adelaide
21.Richmond
22. Essendon (Steinberg)
23. North Melbourne (Cam Richardson)
24. Fremantle
25. West Coast
26. Collingwood
27. Sydney
28. GWS (Pass)
29. Gold Coast (Pass)
30. Melbourne
31. Port Adelaide
32. Richmond
33. Collingwood
34. Sydney
35. GWS (Pass)
36. Gold Coast (Pass)
37. Richmond
38. Collingwood
39. Sydney
40. GWS (Pass)
41. Gold Coast (Pass)
42. Collingwood
43. Sydney
44. GWS (Pass)
45. Collingwood

The complexity is whether clubs include veterans inside or outside the list; also confusing Cat A and Cat B rookies. But without going through all the permutations I think things will end up looking fairly close to this.

PSD
1. GWS (Pass)
2. Essendon (or pick 8 in the rookie)
3. Adelaide (Joyce)
4. Sydney (Tippett)
I'm very sure there has to be a PSD spot available for every pass in the national draft, with extra spots available when Adelaide and Fremantle delist players, as summed up in the post above yours. Of course, some may choose to take a player in the delisted free agent category prior to the next draft.

I'm puzzled regarding the Western Bulldogs though, they do appear to have 2 spots available (with 38 on their main list), but just had the one pass in the ND.

I'm very sure there has to be a PSD spot available for every pass in the national draft, with extra spots available when Adelaide and Fremantle delist players, as summed up in the post above yours. Of course, some may choose to take a player in the delisted free agent category prior to the next draft.

I'm puzzled regarding the Western Bulldogs though, they do appear to have 2 spots available (with 38 on their main list), but just had the one pass in the ND.

It is the confusion with the Vets list.

Dogs can choose

1. 2 vets (eg Gia and Murphy), 38 players and 6 rookies
2. 1 vet (eg Murphy), 37 players and 5 rookies
3. 0 vets, 38 players and 6 rookies.

They are probably going option 3. The benefit to them would be that their 4 eligible veterans could then be included on the main list. By NOT giving them vets status they don't get the ~500k in cap savings. By not putting them on the Vets List (Vets List and being a veteran aren't excatly the same thing). That will help them get closer to the minimum cap which they must be flirting with considering where they are at in the development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back