is luke shuey serious?

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-08/shueys-class-earns-tag

WEST Coast midfielder Luke Shuey believes he's copped more attention from taggers this season than in any other in his AFL career.

The 24-year-old is averaging 22 disposals across 13 games this year and has kicked 11 goals. Last season Shuey averaged just 21.5 touches in 14 games and kicked nine goals, although his season was plagued with hamstring issues.

His best season in terms of average disposals was 2012 when he had 23 per week and kicked 19 goals in 21 matches.

"I think I have come up against more attention from opposition this year than any other year, but that is just part of football and is part of my development," Shuey said.

"I have faced a lot more challenges this year than any other year, but I would like to think I can finish the last six or seven games off strongly."

Shuey said he is learning to work his way through tags with the help of Eagles assistants Brady Rawlings and Adam Selwood, who both played as taggers for much of their careers.

"Brades has really good insight because he has done it at the top level for so long," Shuey said.

"So I am working with him and working with Adam Selwood as well this year has certainly helped me."

is shuey serious here?
i have yet to see him take his game or even his workload up to the next level after being tagged for over 2 years now.

watched him again on the weekend and he ceases to get his hands dirty and do the hard things,
its articles like this as well as his body language that keeps me feeling like he think's he has 'made it'.

its not like he lacks confidence, on or off the field.
gaff and until lately sheppard were similar, but they seem more timid and lack that confidence.

i just cant see luke taking his game to the next level,
he's not a game changer or nor does he even strive to be,
he's had a good run with injuries so we cant accept that excuse anymore,
he's not going to get any bigger or taller and has never showed that hunger to dig deep especially in times like this,
masten got the tag after quarter time on sunday and shuey did nothing to capitalise on the opportunity.

he also doesnt have the class of a harley bennell or a daniel wells where you can accept some of his shortcomings because of his undisputed class to make up for his inconsistencies.

he holds alot of currency here in victoria still and would be honestly happy for him to be the one traded.
i dont think we can carry shuey, priddis, masten, gaff and sheed and expect to take the next step.

can anyone convince me otherwise?
How does your foot taste?

If it were against Hawks or Sydney I'd take notice but a solid game against Brisbane.. doesn't count.. just adds to the front runner title..

If it were against Hawks or Sydney I'd take notice but a solid game against Brisbane.. doesn't count.. just adds to the front runner title..

Hardly. Shuey has added consistency playing good and bad sides. If anything it Shows what happens when you pay him no mind.

sure am.
how's he going with the tag this quarter?
really shaken that downhill skiier tag hasnt he?

Average disposals in wins is 23.16
Average disposal in loses is 23.87

Average goals in wins is 1.50
Average goals in loses is 0.63

Average tackles in wins is 2.00
Average tackles in loses is 4.25

Clearances in wins is 6.33
Clearances in loses is 3.63

Contested possessions in wins is 11.5
Contested possessions in loses is 12

So he gets free against poor sides and kicks goals, but he also wins more contested possessions and lays more tackles against better sides. Mind you these stats are distorted by mid season injury he had.

WTF Jootube, you're acting like you've proven a point.

Just about everybody in this thread acknowledged that he would come out and be BOG against the Lions. It's what he does.

It's why everyone calls him a downhill skiing ******* bully.

I even posted the stats from AFL.com that shows that he performs best against the Lions then any other team.

Please continue talking him up as if he plays like that in every game, it makes you look smart.

WTF Jootube, you're acting like you've proven a point.

Just about everybody in this thread acknowledged that he would come out and be BOG against the Lions. It's what he does.

It's why everyone calls him a downhill skiing ******* bully.

I even posted the stats from AFL.com that shows that he performs best against the Lions then any other team.

Please continue talking him up as if he plays like that in every game, it makes you look smart.
Jootube was trying to convince everyone that Shuey was nearly as good as Fyfe and Dangerfield:rolleyes:(using stats as his argument lol)on another thread a fair few rounds back lmfao.

I like Shuey and he played a good game today, but he has been largely anonymous this year.

I feel like this is a bad case of false dilemma.

If Luke does well against Brisbane he is labeled as a weak, downhill skier.
If Luke does badly tonight against Brisbane he is labeled a weak, s**t footballer.

Regardless of how he plays you can twist the outcome to justify your opinion.

Eastern Rangers has shown a fair bit of evidence above, to suggest his game is fairly similar against most teams.

Ignore the stats. That's how Priddis lives his life.

ER stats are handy, but you need to actually watch how he performs. The effort he puts in.

If you can't see that he puts in more effort against the cellar dwelling teams, compared to how he plays in games that matter or games where he is physically challenged by a better midfield... then well, i feel for you.

ER stats are handy, but you need to actually watch how he performs. The effort he puts in.

If you can't see that he puts in more effort against the cellar dwelling teams, compared to how he plays in games that matter or games where he is physically challenged by a better midfield... then well, i feel for you.

Bullshit.

He gets absolutely no help in the middle and is blocked off the ball by better teams because they know they only have to focus on him alone. Kerr suffered from the exact same thing in years gone past, it's what happens when you're the only damaging player in your group.

Sounds like, "I'm going to knowingly ignore the evidence and tell you my gut feeling is correct".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit.

He gets absolutely no help in the middle and is blocked off the ball by better teams because they know they only have to focus on him alone. Kerr suffered from the exact same thing in years gone past, it's what happens when you're the only damaging player in your group.

I agree, he's our most damaging mid. I agree he's rightfully tagged for this reason.

I also agree that our midfield is s**t, and was furious when i saw Shuey blocking for PRIDDIS of all people tonight.

However, him being tagged doesn't take away the fact that he tries harder against the bottom teams. He sooks, drops his head, whinges, doesn't chase and his effort generally drops off when he's got Macaffer hanging off him and he's up against Beams and Pendles. Or he's got crowley hanging off him, and he's up against Mundy and Fyfe.

I'm in no way whatsoever doubting his skill or how damaging he can be. But right now, he only damages the bottom teams. And it's ****ed.

Sounds like, "I'm going to knowingly ignore the evidence and tell you my gut feeling is correct".

Don't be stupid all your life.

Going by "stats" has someone like Priddis in the same elite bracket of player as Pendlebury, Kennedy, Fyfe, Boak etc etc... You think that's correct?

Priddis was ranked 7th in the AFL coaches votes recently, you think he's the 7th best player in the AFL?

I agree, he's our most damaging mid. I agree he's rightfully tagged for this reason.

I also agree that our midfield is s**t, and was furious when i saw Shuey blocking for PRIDDIS of all people tonight.

However, him being tagged doesn't take away the fact that he tries harder against the bottom teams. He sooks, drops his head, whinges, doesn't chase and his effort generally drops off when he's got Macaffer hanging off him and he's up against Beams and Pendles. Or he's got crowley hanging off him, and he's up against Mundy and Fyfe.

I'm in no way whatsoever doubting his skill or how damaging he can be. But right now, he only damages the bottom teams. And it's ******.

It's much easier to look like you're putting in when you're playing in a free wheeling game with no direct opponent.

When you're being scragged at every contest, blocked off the ball and can't get near it never looks good.

To say he 'sooks' is just plain emotive garbage. He may look disgruntled at times, I would too if I had the crap surrounding me that he does.

I'll just check my "effort-o-meter".

Nonsense aside do you have any evidence for this, like distance ran, average speed ect...

Don't be stupid all your life.

Going by "stats" has someone like Priddis in the same elite bracket of player as Pendlebury, Kennedy, Fyfe, Boak etc etc... You think that's correct?

Priddis was ranked 7th in the AFL coaches votes recently, you think he's the 7th best player in the AFL?

Either way you're still relying on a simplification.

There are another 35 players on the field that effect Shuey's performance, i really wish it was a case of Shuey just turning it on against the weak teams because the solution would be simple. The reality is that his performances against better sides is diminished in the eyes of supporters because he doesn't get free and damage sides like we know he can, which is frustrating but not entirely his fault.

If we don't turn around our midfield problems soon then don't be surprised if Shuey goes looking for some competent team mates, irrespective of how much he might love it here.

Last edited:
If we had 2 more decent mids this kid would not be under this much scrutiny , I honestly cant blame him , but the reality is when your the only top line player geting the tag & the others dont do the heavy lifting to help out it would be energy sapping
We all know we lack on ball talent so been the only A grader weve got he cops it most weeks , maybe some of this hostility should be better placed towards the F***ing recruiters & Woosha who dudded this club for not doing their job properly on drafting/developing a core list of quality mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back