Cars & Transportation Is tailgating another car ever justified

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree. I had every right to think he was a ******** and wish he had learned a lesson.
If you're so desperate to teach people 'road lessons' you should probably lead by example and not be so illogical and hotheaded. What do you think he would have learnt even if you did manage to cut him off? He would have probably just have thought you are as much of a dick as he is, hence justifying his behaviour.

Alternatively, invest in a car with a bit more grunt than an old Toyota and 'teach' to your hearts extent. Probably won't end well for you though.

I don't see how this would have changed anything. I decelerated because he was an unsafe distance behind me (but the fact that it pissed him off was a welcome bonus). I didn't decelerate to teach him a lesson, I was just annoyed that he managed to benefit from driving unsafely.

Not sure how 'pissing him off' was a bonus when it just resulted in you 'fuming for half an hour'. Pretty convoluted logic right there. Sort out your own ego problems and you'll realised that there's really nothing worth getting angry about.

You what? Mate i'm trying to have a proper discussion with you here and you aren't making sense!

And if you were a good driver you'd know that 5 km/h over the limit is speeding, wipe off 5!
Any driver also knows that you can do up to 10ks over the limit and get away with it as long as you slow down for the speed camera car that has made no effort to conceal itself :p

Any driver also knows that you can do up to 10ks over the limit and get away with it as long as you slow down for the speed camera car that has made no effort to conceal itself :p

So you can do 10km over the limit as long as you slow down before you get caught.

Wow, great. :eek:

If you're so desperate to teach people 'road lessons' you should probably lead by example and not be so illogical and hotheaded. What do you think he would have learnt even if you did manage to cut him off? He would have probably just have thought you are as much of a dick as he is, hence justifying his behaviour.

Alternatively, invest in a car with a bit more grunt than an old Toyota and 'teach' to your hearts extent. Probably won't end well for you though.

Oh please. I'm not pretending I wanted to do it for his own good. It would have given me satisfaction to put him in his place. I think that's fair enough. Nothing I did was dangerous or illegal, I just wanted to get back at him for being a dick. "Teach him a lesson" is a figure of speech.

Not sure how 'pissing him off' was a bonus when it just resulted in you 'fuming for half an hour'. Pretty convoluted logic right there. Sort out your own ego problems and you'll realised that there's really nothing worth getting angry about.

Congratulations, you can read! Obviously I would rather him not have been able to get around me. I was posting to make fun of my own car's inability to accelerate and my frustration at getting outdriven by a tailgater. Obviously getting pissed off wasn't my intention.

And thanks for the advice, Dr. Phil. You've really helped me. I think I can get my life back on track now.

So you can do 10km over the limit as long as you slow down before you get caught.

Wow, great. :eek:
Well I dont trust speed cameras so its always best to play it safe, the only chance you ever have of getting caught speeding is not paying attention or by the cops who have the best hiding places but they wont chase you for less than 10ks over, probably 15 in most places

Plus as Vealsey said, all speedos are slower than reality, its why I get pissed off on the freeway when people sit on 100 (Really 94) on their speedos in the right lane and I'm trying to do 110 on the speedo or in reality about 103

Oh please. I'm not pretending I wanted to do it for his own good. It would have given me satisfaction to put him in his place. I think that's fair enough. Nothing I did was dangerous or illegal, I just wanted to get back at him for being a dick. "Teach him a lesson" is a figure of speech.

Right, going 130km/h while in a rage due to your poor little ego being hurt and craving for some misguided retribution is neither illegal or dangerous. Nice work.

Congratulations, you can read! Obviously I would rather him not have been able to get around me. I was posting to make fun of my own car's inability to accelerate and my frustration at getting outdriven by a tailgater. Obviously getting pissed off wasn't my intention.

And thanks for the advice, Dr. Phil. You've really helped me. I think I can get my life back on track now.

Getting pissed off wasn't your intention but that's what ended up happening. Let that be a 'lesson' for you for next time.

You probably do need help if you're 'fuming' for over half an hour while driving at unnecessary speeds on public roads.

Right, going 130km/h while in a rage due to your poor little ego being hurt and craving for some misguided retribution is neither illegal or dangerous. Nice work.

Hey, I never said going 130 was a good thing, and I certainly never carried out any retribution (I thought about it briefly, that's about it :eek:). Going 130 was just me being foolish when I was pissy. Me slowing down and then speeding up when he tried to duck inside me wasn't dangerous or illegal.

Getting pissed off wasn't your intention but that's what ended up happening. Let that be a 'lesson' for you for next time.

A lesson for me to what? Not slow down when being tailgated? It was a safety hazard, I wasn't going to continue at the speed I was while he was that close.

I was pissed off because he was a "better" driver in a better car, that's all. He was driving dangerously, and his dangerous driving advantaged him and disadvantaged me, which I think is a bad thing. Is that not unreasonable?

You probably do need help if you're 'fuming' for over half an hour while driving at unnecessary speeds on public roads.

OK, what do you think I meant by "fuming" (or what I actually said, which was "seething")? You're making rather a big deal out of me being annoyed. I was telling the story in a more or less lighthearted manner, do you really think I was sitting there, cursing him under my breath for half an hour? I'm not insane FFS.

If you people just got out of my way then this would never be an issue.

If you didn't speed it wouldn't be an issue.

That's on the assumption that they're in the right hand lane going the speed limit. But yes, stay left if you're not overtaking.

Story: Was driving along 52-53 km/h suburbean area, one of those longass roads. Taxi comes behind me, amazingly close. Any closer and woulda smacked into me. So naturally I slow down. To 40. Flashes me with his lights, he then ate 30 km/h. Tried to overtake, and I simply gunned it until he had to pull back (due to island in the road). Lights turned yellow just as I was about to get there, slowed down, then gunned it and made the light before it turned red. Taxi left behind. Great victory. Best thing, those lights are seriously gay and take forever to change back to green. :thumbsu:

A bit over the top but I concur with the sentiment. I don't try stopping them from overtaking, that's just stupid. Although I do wonder why people don't go past if they are so keen to get ahead that they tailgate.

Some idiot behind me last night ate 25km/h as that's how close behind me he was travelling. * obviously not that good a driver otherwise he would've overtaken (road was clear).

According to a report on Ch9 (Vic.) news tonight, Melbourne drivers are the worst in the country.

The timing of this report is quite apt as today I had a close call with a young buck in a Range Rover.

If you people just got out of my way then this would never be an issue.

why don't people relies that when driving on a freeway on a two lane road.
people in the right lane, either go faster then the guy behind or get the f**k out the way.

pretty simple when I'm in the right lane and someones up my ass I know they want to go faster then me, so I get in the slow lane and let them pass.

in this situation tailgating is justified until they get in the slow lane.

some people are just so dumb and slow. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when people sit on 100 (Really 94) on their speedos in the right lane and I'm trying to do 110 on the speedo or in reality about 103

It depends on the car you have. Not every car is out by the same margin, although I understand that a speedometer that indicates more than 6% faster than actual speed would not be certifiable according to the ADRs.

when someone tailgates and smacks into the rear of tailgatee, it makes the tailgater mader yeah?

would be interesting hearing the insurance report - "yeah guy was driving so slow, its his fault"

Depends. If the guy in front deliberately brake tested the guy behind, then this would be, at worst, contributory negligence. At least, that's what I'd argue.

I think its ok for another car to get up close to a car for a few seconds just to let the driver know you want them to move aside to overtake. But thats about it, just as road communication. I'm happy to move over for people if i have the room. Which sometimes happens while i'm already 10 over the limit myself and they want me to go even faster. But yeah people shouldn't take it further if the car doesn't move aside and just learn some patience as often you'll see that car has to do a right turn not far off anyway and the tailgater is just an impatient dick.

Depends. If the guy in front deliberately brake tested the guy behind, then this would be, at worst, contributory negligence. At least, that's what I'd argue.

dont insurance companies always blame the person following the car (i.e. if you rear end someone its your fault)?

No matter what if you are the car behind its your fault.

I was driving down a suburban st, going 50, then some guy in a subaru decided LAST minute to pull out of a side street in front of me, being the stupid driver i was at the time i thought 'i shouldn't have to break, so i aint slowing down to let him in' so i ended up tailgating him until he got up to speed, then he punched it and got up to 60 so i got excited and gave my accelerator a bit too, when suddenly he slams his brakes, and him being in a nice new wrx stopped within about 2 meters, my old nova didnt have the same quality breaks, so i ended rear ending him.
he jumped out of his car fuming saying why did you tailgate blah blah blah, then i said, wo wo wo, you slammed your breaks after cutting me off, and had the car behind me pull over too and side with me completely, got his details too and tried to fight it, but nope, i ended up rear ending him, so its auto my fault, cos according to my insurance he could claim there was a hazard so he had to suddenly stop. iv learnt from that one.

another time i was behind a truck waiting to turn right, the truck started to go then decided not to and reversed back a bit, i freaked out cos there was a truck reversing towards me so i reversed back too but probably a touch too far, the car behind me beeped and tried to stop me reversing into him but i hit him.
i got out of the car and claimed full responsibility and gave my details to him but never heard a thing, then feeling guilty i rang my insuarne to explain what happened, and they informed me it was his fault cos i was the car in front. so i got out of that one.
I just hope to never be involved in an accident again, so much effort.

also heard the story of my auntie driving down the street when a car reversed out of their driveway and into the front of my anties car. was apparently my aunties fault. even though the other person reversed out of their driveway without looking (but that one was about 15-20 years ago)

No matter what if you are the car behind its your fault.

I was driving down a suburban st, going 50, then some guy in a subaru decided LAST minute to pull out of a side street in front of me, being the stupid driver i was at the time i thought 'i shouldn't have to break, so i aint slowing down to let him in' so i ended up tailgating him until he got up to speed, then he punched it and got up to 60 so i got excited and gave my accelerator a bit too, when suddenly he slams his brakes, and him being in a nice new wrx stopped within about 2 meters, my old nova didnt have the same quality breaks, so i ended rear ending him.
he jumped out of his car fuming saying why did you tailgate blah blah blah, then i said, wo wo wo, you slammed your breaks after cutting me off, and had the car behind me pull over too and side with me completely, got his details too and tried to fight it, but nope, i ended up rear ending him, so its auto my fault, cos according to my insurance he could claim there was a hazard so he had to suddenly stop. iv learnt from that one.

All tailgaters beware!

Different story if you had hit as he pulled out of the side street but not in that situation.

another time i was behind a truck waiting to turn right, the truck started to go then decided not to and reversed back a bit, i freaked out cos there was a truck reversing towards me so i reversed back too but probably a touch too far, the car behind me beeped and tried to stop me reversing into him but i hit him.
i got out of the car and claimed full responsibility and gave my details to him but never heard a thing, then feeling guilty i rang my insuarne to explain what happened, and they informed me it was his fault cos i was the car in front. so i got out of that one.

Such bullshit that he was supposedly at fault - if I was at him I would have taken it to court in an instant.

Insurance companies like to think they are the decision makers but a judge will override them if need be.

If you look up clause 261 of the road rules for your state, it should say something like:

A person shall not drive a vehicle in reverse —
(a) unless he or she can do so with safety;

ergo the person reversing is at fault if there is a crash

also heard the story of my auntie driving down the street when a car reversed out of their driveway and into the front of my anties car. was apparently my aunties fault. even though the other person reversed out of their driveway without looking (but that one was about 15-20 years ago)

same situation as above, although it must be a cnut to try and prove that the person was reversing when they were hit, as opposed to being a stationary or slow moving object in which case your aunty would be at fault unless she can successfully argue that dumbasre coming out of the driveway failed to give way.

That's always a tricky one because if dumbarse has his/her sightlines blocked by other cars etc, they cannot see a vehicle is coming and therefore cannot give way. there is some onus on the person driving down the street to be aware of the hazard and prepare to stop if dumbarse doesnt see them.

Such bullshit that he was supposedly at fault - if I was at him I would have taken it to court in an instant.

Ye i was very surprised by this one, as i said at the time of the accident i got out of my car and claimed responsibility.
However it wasnt as though i completely destroyed his car, just put a minor dint into his bumper, so perhaps he just never bothered with it.
but after a month of not hearing anything i just thought id ring my insurance to see where i stood. and i wasn't going to pursue it further after being told i was sweet.

^ Yeh for sure, wasn't having a go at you at all. Just saying what I would have done if I was the other guy

The old man used to tell me, "if someone is up your arse, just give the lights a quick flick on and off, they'll think its brakes and they'll drop off"

Obviously, wont work at night if you have headlights on

Used to really irritate me when drivers are up your arse. Don't care anymore, just crusie along now and they can get stuffed. I guess its my mature self coming out now.... All this applies to single lane roads only. Freeways is different again. Stay left. Think you will find there is nothing to gain by driving like a lunatic. If you make it in one piece to your destination, chances are the driver(s) you passed before end up at the same spot at the same time anyway...

People cutting me off now that is another matter.:mad:

Sort of related, can anyone confirm who is at fault at a roundabout? The amount of people who fail to give way at roundabouts is really giving the me the shits lately, I go through them a number of times every day and there is 1 where the people coming from 1 direction never, ever stop for you, they simply dont look and we usually end up going the same way so they get tailgated untill i find space to get around them (Thankfully road we are both heading to is quite wide :thumbsu:)

I remember getting honked and flashed for failing to give way many years ago at a roundabout but in that scenario they turned without indicating and had a witness so hopefully would have been ok in an accident?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back