Scandal Jeff Garlett belted in nightclub incident

Remove this Banner Ad

dont like this, and its not just because its a CFC sanction (Ive said the same about people wanting to restrict the lives of RFC players, so I'd be a hypocrite to congratulate)

players are entitled to a life, and as long as they were not the ones creating the trouble, WGAF?

While i agree that all players can't be a Buckley, Voss, Harvey and live & breathe football most hours of the day and they need to let their hair down now and then. Staying out that late at night is a recipe for disaster, i think the club is right to come down hard on them. Would be saying this if it was Hawthorn in the spotlight too.

So as soon as another AFL player gets involved, people start to immediately lay the blame on them? I think most on this forum recognise I don't really hero worship blokes just because they get paid lots of money to play footy on tele, but far out, that kind of mindframe is so ignorant. They are just normal humans and sometimes other normal humans are the ones at fault.

Have you seen ex-AFL players in country leagues? They're targeted by some hero who wants to claim he dropped Fev or Aker.

It's the same with Toby Greene, who in the end was pretty much on the receiving end of a bouncer being too heavy handed.

Considering how many AFL listed players there are, how many of them are young men, and how many would, on a law of averages, enjoy heading out on the weekend you can't say it's a scary or common theme. Most guys are well behaved and most keep their drunken stupidity to themselves – a stupidity probably limited at saying something dumb or getting kicked out a club; ie, the s**t every young man gets up to and the s**t every young man is legally, ethically, and rightfully allowed.

Mick is talking absolute horseshit about Etihad Stadium being scary at 11pm. Total trash. The worst footy crowd I ever see is the MCG – which isn't near King Street, isn't on the weekend, and isn't at night. The football is a mostly civil, family-oriented environment. People don't feel threatened. I never get a vibe that it's all about to kick off. It's a good place and to instil this "the city at night is for punch-ups and not good, safe times" is the mentality the Herald Sun and Vicpol want perpetuated. Load of s**t.

It's impossible to blame anyone with almost 0 evidence. There is every chance someone's mouthed off to or hit Garlett, Robinson, or another of their entourage and it's kicked off. Who knows, maybe they did start it, but to jump at them and say they're idiots and thugs and hooligans is just ludicrous. They're entitled to drink, they were given the green light, and to ask to head out shows a lot of decency from Garlett – after all, old Bootsma showed how loneranging some of these players can be.

While i agree that all players can't be a Buckley, Voss, Harvey and live & breathe football most hours of the day and they need to let their hair down now and then. Staying out that late at night is a recipe for disaster, i think the club is right to come down hard on them. Would be saying this if it was Hawthorn in the spotlight too.

They are grown men

if they stay out and play like s**t, its on them. its their responsibility

They are grown men

if they stay out and play like s**t, its on them. its their responsibility

That's what i was saying but thanks for putting it more eloquently than i did :D.

They do deserve to be hung out and quartered, i just meant that not every player can live vicariously through football.... but you don't need to be a douche after hours. They should just go to Time Zone and play video games instead of punch on with people.

So as soon as another AFL player gets involved, people start to immediately lay the blame on them? I think most on this forum recognise I don't really hero worship blokes just because they get paid lots of money to play footy on tele, but far out, that kind of mindframe is so ignorant. They are just normal humans and sometimes other normal humans are the ones at fault.

Have you seen ex-AFL players in country leagues? They're targeted by some hero who wants to claim he dropped Fev or Aker.

It's the same with Toby Greene, who in the end was pretty much on the receiving end of a bouncer being too heavy handed.

Considering how many AFL listed players there are, how many of them are young men, and how many would, on a law of averages, enjoy heading out on the weekend you can't say it's a scary or common theme. Most guys are well behaved and most keep their drunken stupidity to themselves – a stupidity probably limited at saying something dumb or getting kicked out a club; ie, the s**t every young man gets up to and the s**t every young man is legally, ethically, and rightfully allowed.

Mick is talking absolute horseshit about Etihad Stadium being scary at 11pm. Total trash. The worst footy crowd I ever see is the MCG – which isn't near King Street, isn't on the weekend, and isn't at night. The football is a mostly civil, family-oriented environment. People don't feel threatened. I never get a vibe that it's all about to kick off. It's a good place and to instil this "the city at night is for punch-ups and not good, safe times" is the mentality the Herald Sun and Vicpol want perpetuated. Load of s**t.

It's impossible to blame anyone with almost 0 evidence. There is every chance someone's mouthed off to or hit Garlett, Robinson, or another of their entourage and it's kicked off. Who knows, maybe they did start it, but to jump at them and say they're idiots and thugs and hooligans is just ludicrous. They're entitled to drink, they were given the green light, and to ask to head out shows a lot of decency from Garlett – after all, old Bootsma showed how loneranging some of these players can be.
It's not always about you mate

They are also entitled to walk away from it like a responsible human being.

It's easy to say that "they can just walk away like responsible human beings" but I bet the two British medical students who were just stabbed to death by 4 blokes in Malaysia when they just walked away thought the same as well?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-medical-students-murdered-recap-3999162

Unfortunately it isn't that easy all the time, especially when you're a well known sportsman.

It's easy to say that "they can just walk away like responsible human beings" but I bet the two British medical students who were just stabbed to death by 4 blokes in Malaysia when they just walked away thought the same as well?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-medical-students-murdered-recap-3999162

Unfortunately it isn't that easy all the time, especially when you're a well known sportsman.

Comparing Melbourne CBD to Malaysia is quite a stretch.

You're either 40+ or you live in Adelaide.

The best things happen in Melbourne after 1am.

Not in Perth. By midnight all the girls have already gone home, and after that it's a meat-market full of frustrated sticks.

Here you've only got a 2 hour time-frame to be productive.

I am quoting this for those that are blinded by their own hysterics, and may have missed it through their tears. Great post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we know Mitch wasn't king hit? Or that he stepped in to break it up? How do we know that Garlett wasn't set upon by a bunch of heroes trying to get their 'punched AFL player' scout badge?

If the players are found to be the instigators fine - but it simply isn't a black and white situation.

One could reasonably suggest that 5am is no time to be out - but that argument only holds weight when the question is on a players professionalism. Otherwise it is an arbitary time bandied around by do-gooders and sock utensils.

That was posted on Thursday LOL and nothing yet.
I don't think there is anything in it. The club have already released a statement and fined/punished Garlett/Roboo....if there is a 3rd Carlton player involved they would to be absolutely stupid to have not said anything to the club yet after Robbo lied about it for a few days and was found out.

"If" there is a 3rd Carlton player involved and they still have not come forward to the club about it, they deserve getting the book thrown at them.

That's what i was saying but thanks for putting it more eloquently than i did :D.

They do deserve to be hung out and quartered, i just meant that not every player can live vicariously through football.... but you don't need to be a douche after hours. They should just go to Time Zone and play video games instead of punch on with people.

Or go to footy training and punch on in the ring there.

Garlett to fight charges

Garlett appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court briefly on Monday when lawyer Bernie Balmer requested the matter be adjourned for a contest mention in March.

Speaking outside the court, Mr Balmer said Garlett would argue self-defence.

"At the moment on our advice we're contesting the charges," he told reporters.

"You've got to remember, he got knocked out."

Garlett's bail was extended until his next court date on March 20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back