Traded Josh Dunkley - [Traded with F3 (Melb), F3 to Brisbane for #21, F1, F2, F4 (Geel)]

Remove this Banner Ad

If you don't have the self-discipline not to attack other posters and derail the thread with crap every other time you post, thread bans will be applied.

Mods are not here to babysit.

Reporting bad posts instead of replying to them would also be extremely helpful if you wish to continue posting here.

Original OP by the Ziebull:

Wanted a trade to essendon 2 years ago but was contracted now out of contract but seemingly happier at the dogs and they don’t force him in the ruck anymore.

Be interested to see if he explores this time knowing he can up and leave easier. Not sure how dogs will prioritise the re-signings (macrae, Smith, English, Daniel, dale etc) so maybe even this time it could be roles reversed

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was the Doggies I'd let him leave. They still would be compensated well enough and I think there is still some slight tension there perhaps. If they could get a first round pick and use it on a young gun defender or ruck then their list would be set.

The feeling I get is that he still isn't trust 100% within the group and I think that dates back to when he blind sided the dogs and asked for a trade few years back. I noticed he missed out in the leadership group which i found interesting.

Bevo made him attend 30 ruck contests in a game because they didnt want to use a ruckman in the ruck. Find it hard to blame him for wanting to leave, and wouldnt have hurt to put him in the middle when they had 15 goals in a row kicked on them in the GF either.

Think he should go for his own career.

Yeah Dogs are facing a SC squeeze at the end of the season, I hope for their sake that Daddy isn't Josh's manager still, or I could see him going.

A pick in the 5-8 range is probably his Market value right in my opinion (with a 2nd rounder as well)
Yet the club has come out and said they have enough room to re-sign everyone

Yeah Dogs are facing a SC squeeze at the end of the season, I hope for their sake that Daddy isn't Josh's manager still, or I could see him going.

A pick in the 5-8 range is probably his Market value right in my opinion (with a 2nd rounder as well)
Glad someone else has mentioned this. Old man Dunks needs to stay out the business side of footy. I know for a fact he was quite vocal towards doggies hierarchy about their mistreatment of Josh playing in the ruck. That probably caused more friction then what Josh actually did with thr club.

Had the decency to call Melbourne coaching staff in 2020 demanding why Kyle wasn't being picked. They straight out told him he was just an ordinary player who'd be lucky to play AFL again.

Old man dunk has a bit of Damir Dokic about him.

Dunkley at his best is a bonafide A-grader and worth two first rounders. Let's see if he backs up his early 2021 form this year.
Is he though? One first rounder yes, but two?

What has he actually achieved to demand two first round picks? Hasn't made an All Australia, nor won a best and fairest.

Grand final night I thought he got found out for his lack of leg speed when the likes of Oliver, Jackson, Sparrow, Viney and Petracca were sprinting straight past him with easy from centre stoppages.

He's a gun and there's no doubt about that.

What has he actually achieved to demand two first round picks? Hasn't made an All Australia, nor won a best and fairest.

Grand final night I thought he got found out for his lack of leg speed when the likes of Oliver, Jackson, Sparrow, Viney and Petracca were sprinting straight past him with easy from centre stoppages.

That did not happen fyi. Dunks had 3 centre bounce attendances for the entire GF. He simply wasn't in there for others to be sprinting past him.

The whole "1 vs 2 first rounders" debate is meaningless without specifying where those picks sit. If someone offered 17+18 for Dunks, it's arguably unders despite being two firsts, whereas Pick 1 is a single first, yet is overs.

I’d say 2 if he were contracted like 2 years ago but only one now when out of contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that one game Dunkley single-handedly demolished your mob in 2019? 39 disposals, 15 tackles, 2 goals, 3 brownlow votes, 10 coaches votes. At his best, he is easily worth two first rounders. Following his shoulder injury last year, he was not at his best.

What's this nonsense about leg speed? He's a hard nosed inside midfielder; leg speed is not a critical trait.
Viney? Leg speed? Please.

I mean difference there is Treloar had a backended contract that you were trying to weasel your way out of
But Dogs were asking Bombres for 2 first rounders and he would cost them a lot of money plus the picks, Dogs knew that about 300k of Treloar's contract would be covered by the Pies and they were in a premiership window. Sees like they were not even-handed in their dealings. Dunkley is a solid enough player but no superstar. When I watch the Dogs I see a player whose disposal is problematic. In fact I am happy to get Lipinski much cheaper than what would be paid for Dunkley.

Remember that one game Dunkley single-handedly demolished your mob in 2019? 39 disposals, 15 tackles, 2 goals, 3 brownlow votes, 10 coaches votes. At his best, he is easily worth two first rounders. Following his shoulder injury last year, he was not at his best.

What's this nonsense about leg speed? He's a hard nosed inside midfielder; leg speed is not a critical trait.
Viney? Leg speed? Please.
You pay up based on his current body of work right? His best form was 3 years ago. A club is not coughing up two first round picks based on his best form 3 years ago mate.

On current form he's worth a first rounder. As i said, he hasn't achieved anything remotely worth two first rounders. Even in his best year in 2019 he didn't win a best and fairest nor even named in the All Australian squad of 40.

If I'm coughing up two first round picks for a midfielder its the likes of Clayton Oliver, Sam Walsh, Christian Petracca, Bontempelli and Jack Steele.

And that's what he is. An inside mid with questionable leg speed and kicking efficiency. These can all be improved no doubt, but he ain't no superstar that demands two first picks. Essendon were smart enough not to get sucked in few years ago.

Bevo made him attend 30 ruck contests in a game because they didnt want to use a ruckman in the ruck. Find it hard to blame him for wanting to leave, and wouldnt have hurt to put him in the middle when they had 15 goals in a row kicked on them in the GF either.

Think he should go for his own career.
Still unsure whether this was an issue, Dunkley never expressed displeasure at taking the ruck, publicly or otherwise. It's just something people have assumed. Hard to believe a coach would make a midfielder ruck unless they volunteered for it.

You pay up based on his current body of work right? His best form was 3 years ago. A club is not coughing up two first round picks based on his best form 3 years ago mate.
Wrong again, buddy. You're having a mare today. He was in top form at the start of last year before his shoulder injury.

dapms8.png

As for right now, it doesn't matter what he's worth because it's February. The only point I've made is that when he's in form, he is easily worth two first rounders. He's also clearly a better footballer than Jack Viney.

Still unsure whether this was an issue, Dunkley never expressed displeasure at taking the ruck, publicly or otherwise. It's just something people have assumed. Hard to believe a coach would make a midfielder ruck unless they volunteered for it.
What makes you think this is hard to believe? There have been plenty of instances of coaches putting players in positions they don't like. I believe this is one of the reasons Jake Carlisle left Essendon. Beveridge is also on record attempting to rationalize playing Dunkley in the ruck by saying "well we're going to lose the ruck anyway, so we might as well get an extra midfielder in there", which backfired multiple times.

It's not even an issue anymore, at least not for Dunkley. He played predominantly midfield in 2021, and was on fire until he dislocated his shoulder.

Wrong again, buddy. You're having a mare today. He was in top form at the start of last year before his shoulder injury.

dapms8.png

As for right now, it doesn't matter what he's worth because it's February. The only point I've made is that when he's in form, he is easily worth two first rounders. He's also clearly a better footballer than Jack Viney.

You're failing to understand the point I'm trying to make. His best form of work was back in 2019 when he had a full year without injuries and was able to play every game without hiccups.

Since then he's had some form issues and injuries. All you have proven is that he had a block of 6 games where was playing good footy until injury hit once again. Clubs aren't still not going off that patch of form to cough up two first rounders. His form alone hasn't been on a consistent level just because of injuries and form.

Lol what's Jack Viney got to do with this? Only mention of Viney in this was that he was part of a midfield brigade that was able to easily brush aside the likes of Dunkley, Libba, Bont, Treloar and Libba to a 74 point win on the biggest stage. The same midfield that got spanked 45-32 In general clearances, and 19-11 in centre clearances.

If you're wanting to compare players then I don't have any issues with that at all, that's not what this thread is about.

I suggest maybe go go start a Viney vs Dunkley thread on the polls board if it's going to help you sleep at night. I tell you what, I'll even go out on a limb and say most would take Dunkley also.

You're failing to understand the point I'm trying to make. His best form of work was back in 2019 when he had a full year without injuries and was able to play every game without hiccups.
No, it was on full display earlier in 2021. Going back to 2019 is not necessary to get an accurate image of his best form.
Since then he's had some form issues and injuries. All you have proven is that he had a block of 6 games where was playing good footy until injury hit once again. Clubs aren't still not going off that patch of form to cough up two first rounders. His form alone hasn't been on a consistent level just because of injuries and form.
Seems like you're failing to understand the point I originally made: a Josh Dunkley in his best form is a top-grade midfielder, and history says top-grade midfielders command two first round picks.
Lol what's Jack Viney got to do with this? Only mention of Viney in this was that he was part of a midfield brigade that was able to easily brush aside the likes of Dunkley, Libba, Bont, Treloar and Libba to a 74 point win on the biggest stage.
Because it was strange you'd bring him up as an example of a midfielder with "leg speed". Jack Viney is a slug.
I know you Melbourne supporters are all under the impression that the Grand Final alone somehow conclusively proves that the entire Melbourne team is better than the Bulldogs in every position because it ended up being a thrashing, but the more observant football watchers will know this is not necessarily the case.
Dunkley is very clearly a better player than Viney. Even with his below average output following shoulder surgery, he still easily outperformed Viney statistically for 2021.

Glad someone else has mentioned this. Old man Dunks needs to stay out the business side of footy. I know for a fact he was quite vocal towards doggies hierarchy about their mistreatment of Josh playing in the ruck. That probably caused more friction then what Josh actually did with thr club.

Had the decency to call Melbourne coaching staff in 2020 demanding why Kyle wasn't being picked. They straight out told him he was just an ordinary player who'd be lucky to play AFL again.

Old man dunk has a bit of Damir Dokic about him.

He never forgave Sydney for basically telling him his career was over, though I am not sure what he expected as every player reaches the point where they are to old to play at an AFL level anymore.

No, it was on full display earlier in 2021. Going back to 2019 is not necessary to get an accurate image of his best form.

Seems like you're failing to understand the point I originally made: a Josh Dunkley in his best form is a top-grade midfielder, and history says top-grade midfielders command two first round picks.

Because it was strange you'd bring him up as an example of a midfielder with "leg speed". Jack Viney is a slug.
I know you Melbourne supporters are all under the impression that the Grand Final alone somehow conclusively proves that the entire Melbourne team is better than the Bulldogs in every position because it ended up being a thrashing, but the more observant football watchers will know this is not necessarily the case.
Dunkley is very clearly a better player than Viney. Even with his below average output following shoulder surgery, he still easily outperformed Viney statistically for 2021.
Steele, Oliver, Walsh, Petracca are top grade midfielders. Dunkley is not. It's that's simple really?

Haha see this is where you're clueless. Viney is no slug at all. Viney has a decent burst of speed and power in those first 20m out of stoppage. Dunkley does not.

The observant footballer watcher would take a Melbourne midfield over the Doggies. If they are so far superior then why did they fail in the big stage and got absolutely slaughtered around the stoppages?

Same midfield that failed significantly in the 2nd half by allowing a score line of 101-19 for 2 whole quarters of footy.

I will apologise to the previous poster and say yes looking back Dunkley barely attended the centre stoppage much. He played a lot on a wing.. again why was he pushed out to a wing? For a bloke that is so dominant as an inside midfielder I think it's pretty telling what the coaches thought of Dunkley on the day..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back