Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
KM said it appears that the MFC have expressed interest in Grundy at pick 4. If that is correct then GWS will need to throw the kitchen sink at GC to get pick 2 so they can secure Grundy and say Whitfield. A mini draft pick plus... to GC. Win for GC. Win for GWS landing possible elite players, one big and one small - BIG , BIG WIN considering they are only giving away freebie mini pick/s (plus maybe a little cream on top) courtesy of the AFL/clubs.

It'll be interesting to see what GWS do if this transpires, could be hitting panic stations sooner rather than later.

KM said it appears that the MFC have expressed interest in Grundy at pick 4. If that is correct then GWS will need to throw the kitchen sink at GC to get pick 2 so they can secure Grundy and say Whitfield. A mini draft pick plus... to GC. Win for GC. Win for GWS landing possible elite players, one big and one small - BIG , BIG WIN considering they are only giving away freebie mini pick/s (plus maybe a little cream on top) courtesy of the AFL/clubs.

and BIG WIN for the Dees

It means that Viney would be pick 14(?) for them and they get two top 5 picks as well as Viney.
They would get Viney in the second round - big win... massive win. GWS getting GC's 2nd pick and taking the player Melbourne are apparently keen on with pick 4/5... not a win.

Just being cheeky, anyway. Dee's will get a handful of good players in this draft... very jealous!

They would get Viney in the second round - big win... massive win. GWS getting GC's 2nd pick and taking the player Melbourne are apparently keen on with pick 4/5... not a win.

Just being cheeky, anyway. Dee's will get a handful of good players in this draft... very jealous!

how is that not a win? we get an extra top 3 pick instead of having to take viney at 3

Very unlikely Grundy slides. Recent talk has been Melbourne at 4 - if they don't move that selection will take him. But when GWS trade those minidraft selections into another 1-2 early selections they will surely take Grundy with one of those. Less than 5% chance of Grundy being available for Richmond and while you should still look into him in the surprising scenario he is available, be prepaired for him not to slide that far.

Grundy would be picked immediately. Have a look at the eagles, Naitanui, Cox, Kennedy, and Darling, Maric, Grundy, Vickery, and Riewoldt. But it's never going to happen. What do you think about McRae going to Richmond, do you think he can play permanent midfield?

how is that not a win? we get an extra top 3 pick instead of having to take viney at 3
Viney and F/S bidding is a separate issue to whether you will get the players you want with picks 3 & 4. I expect you to get Viney in the 2nd round which is a huge win, but the discussion was around Melbourne being keen on Grundy, and then how GWS might try to obtain GC's pick 2 to beat them to the punch. Either way you still have picks 3 & 4 (and I'm assuming neither will be required for Viney), just means you may not get your 1st choice player combination... Forgive me if my logic is wrong, but I would consider missing out on your first preference, and having to go the back up plan is NOT a "BIG WIN". Thankfully having pick 3 & 4 to start with is a win in itself, so no need to be too upset about it ;)

Viney and F/S bidding is a separate issue to whether you will get the players you want with picks 3 & 4. I expect you to get Viney in the 2nd round which is a huge win, but the discussion was around Melbourne being keen on Grundy, and then how GWS might try to obtain GC's pick 2 to beat them to the punch. Either way you still have picks 3 & 4 (and I'm assuming neither will be required for Viney), just means you may not get your 1st choice player combination... Forgive me if my logic is wrong, but I would consider missing out on your first preference, and having to go the back up plan is NOT a "BIG WIN". Thankfully having pick 3 & 4 to start with is a win in itself, so no need to be too upset about it ;)

In my opinion the view right now is that GC WILL bid on Viney as numerous reports have stated. But i guess we'll have to wait and see

KM, what are Sam Martin's chances of being picked up from Bushrangers?

Late-rookie chance.

I just don't see GWS using a top10 pick on a ruck man. They will trade into one like the swans did with Mumford. They will accumulate mids and KPP understanding that will trade at a later date!

It will be interesting to see what GWS do and how they add their ruckmen.

GWS might not even retain Giles beyond this year - wanting more than GWS are willing to give him so a ruckman might very quickly become a need if that doesn't work out.

Grundy is a heck of a player. Worth a top 3 selection and that ruck division is a relative weakness with Phillips and Downie still a long way off.

I really like the GWS mids + KPPs and I don't see either as super high level needs. Cameron and Patton both look like they will be clear top 10 league key forwards. Phil Davis isn't so bad down back either and looks like he can become a top 10 league key defender. Then that midfield group of Ward, Greene, Treloar, Shiel, Coniglio and Scully is excellent and will be incredible in 3-4 years time. One more outside mid in Whitfield then one more high level key defender at some stage and they are probably set in both areas - even though others will obviously be added to this group in future seasons.

I do see what you are saying with ruckmen available every year via trade and with free agency they should be able to add some later on, but with what will be future salary cap issues when this group develops will they be able to make a play for a serious ruckman later on?

Will be interesting anyway to see how this works out for them.

Grundy would be picked immediately. Have a look at the eagles, Naitanui, Cox, Kennedy, and Darling, Maric, Grundy, Vickery, and Riewoldt. But it's never going to happen. What do you think about McRae going to Richmond, do you think he can play permanent midfield?

Macrae could start on a wing/forward flank/forward pocket and I suspect would be rotated through the positions but I like him more on a wing than deep forward.

Long term I like Macrae as an inside midfielder - even though with his slight build isn't nearly there and hasn't received those opportunities on the ball but he has that incredible ability to find more time in congestion and as that tall mid with that real 360 awareness and ability to execute handballs to the impossible targets I see a guy who can develop an elite inside game.

KM, this is GWS's last big lick at the bowl (Sheedy's words not mine). Whitfield, Grundy and maybe Plowman (as a running tall defender) would be a very good result for GWS. As you say the mids are ok (in a developing sense) for GWS and they will get another crack next year at mids anyway as they will most likely finish low on the ladder.
GWS are primed to have a lot of elite talent on their list and i suspect when they have to start timming their list their will be a lot a clubs lining up to take their cast offs.

Hey KM,

I was reading through some of your previous mock drafts and found this...

#8 Brisbane - Matthew Buntine (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 19/10/1993
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style: Bryce Gibbs
Player comparison:
Range: 4-15
Profile: Real standout in this year’s draft who had a surprisingly poor u18 championships but was struggling with injury at the time, so that is forgivable. None the less is an absolute standout talent in this year’s draft. Can play down back or through the midfield well and has that really high skill level and ability to read the play. Reads the ball very well. Very good user of the footy. Can play against players of all sizes and can shut down opposition dangermen. Can play off his man and provide super rebound. Has no problem winning the hard ball. Not a high level athlete but his smarts more than compensate for this. Has that flexibility to play the role you need him to play.
Why:

You can really put that description to Vlastuin and nobody would look twice. Buntine went at 5 and you have Vlastuin going much later. What are the biggest differences between them?

KM, this is GWS's last big lick at the bowl (Sheedy's words not mine). Whitfield, Grundy and maybe Plowman (as a running tall defender) would be a very good result for GWS. As you say the mids are ok (in a developing sense) for GWS and they will get another crack next year at mids anyway as they will most likely finish low on the ladder.
GWS are primed to have a lot of elite talent on their list and i suspect when they have to start timming their list their will be a lot a clubs lining up to take their cast offs.

The Whitfield, Grundy, Plowman trio would be the ideal outcome for GWS when you look through that list. Makes it a pretty complete and incredible team if it doesn't look that way already with the list they have.

Hey KM,

I was reading through some of your previous mock drafts and found this...

#8 Brisbane - Matthew Buntine (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 19/10/1993
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style: Bryce Gibbs
Player comparison:
Range: 4-15
Profile: Real standout in this year’s draft who had a surprisingly poor u18 championships but was struggling with injury at the time, so that is forgivable. None the less is an absolute standout talent in this year’s draft. Can play down back or through the midfield well and has that really high skill level and ability to read the play. Reads the ball very well. Very good user of the footy. Can play against players of all sizes and can shut down opposition dangermen. Can play off his man and provide super rebound. Has no problem winning the hard ball. Not a high level athlete but his smarts more than compensate for this. Has that flexibility to play the role you need him to play.
Why:

You can really put that description to Vlastuin and nobody would look twice. Buntine went at 5 and you have Vlastuin going much later. What are the biggest differences between them?

Different players. Buntine is more an intercept type defender. Vlastuin is more a powerful and more of an inside midfielder which I don't see in Buntine.

I'd take Vlastuin.

To justify this comment Buntine I didn't have in my top 20 (power rankings) last year and there is a group of probably 30 I'd still take ahead of him this year even with the knowledge Buntine was a high draft selection.

Not saying Buntine can't make the grade but more I don't see that A-grade potential that is there with many of those high draft selections with Vlastuin among that even top end group this year of 15 or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey KM, just wondering what you think we'll get for Jamie Cripps, who has reportedly asked to be traded to West Coast? Talk of him being involved in a trade with Koby Stevens. Who do you think is worth more out of those two? Pick 27 is one that is being discussed.

Curious trade.

Of the two Stevens would be my pick of the pair. Powerful midfielder who has been really underutilised by West Coast and should be able to find a role in a midfield with room to accomodate him. Cripps with his injury + health issues worries me somewhat.

Both have much the same perceived value and a straight trade could probably happen.

KM, other than Daniher, Essendon have 3 other F/S prospects in Jordan Williams, Daniel Thompson and Jydon Neagle. Which of them will be worthy of a ND place? If they don't, will they be taken in the Rookie Draft?

Thanks for that, I'm not really familiar with Stevens. The talk is that the Bulldogs are keen on Stevens and may give up pick 27 for him, which West Coast would on-trade to us for Cripps, which we would then apparently use to hopefully get Hickey, from GC. Do you think everyone would be pretty much happy with that deal?

Dogs getting shafted out of that deal. Stevens was not a high draft pick and he hasn't shown anything at AFL level in his three years. Dogs 3rd round pick at best.

Fair enough, this is just what's being discussed in other threads. I wouldn't recognise him if I was sitting on him. Apparently the Doggies have a hard-on for him, though and with other clubs also sniffing around, he might bring more than you expect. (Just looked up where he was drafted and pick 22 is hardly a low pick, BTW).

KM, other than Daniher, Essendon have 3 other F/S prospects in Jordan Williams, Daniel Thompson and Jydon Neagle. Which of them will be worthy of a ND place? If they don't, will they be taken in the Rookie Draft?

More rookie type selections.

Williams and Neagle are both worth looking at.

Thanks for that, I'm not really familiar with Stevens. The talk is that the Bulldogs are keen on Stevens and may give up pick 27 for him, which West Coast would on-trade to us for Cripps, which we would then apparently use to hopefully get Hickey, from GC. Do you think everyone would be pretty much happy with that deal?

Reasonable trade.

Cripps to West Coast makes sense.

Somewhat surprising the Bulldogs are interested in Stevens. They have a young midfield group with a number of similar mids from that same age group. Would have thought if they add another inside mid it would either be an elite mid or a quicker mid. But if Stevens develops into that Josh Kennedy/Jobe Watson variety mid then maybe it's worth it and I can only assume that is their vision.
Also on the Dogs selection they might be forced into using it on Lachie Hunter (F/S) so if keen on Stevens another asset might need to be used.

Not sure Hickey is worth pick 27. Probably worth a selection more in the mid-late 30s. pick 27 feels a bit much for what is still very much a project ruckman.

These multi player deals often break down but entirely possible some variation on this happens.

Fair enough, this is just what's being discussed in other threads. I wouldn't recognise him if I was sitting on him. Apparently the Doggies have a hard-on for him, though and with other clubs also sniffing around, he might bring more than you expect. (Just looked up where he was drafted and pick 22 is hardly a low pick, BTW).

He's been on a list for 3 years, played 4 games and has shown very little in those 4 games to suggest he has a future at AFL level. He's effectively only moved down 4 places (he was pick 23) from when he was drafted. Would you be happy if you're club did that? I sure wouldn't.

Reasonable trade.

Cripps to West Coast makes sense.

Somewhat surprising the Bulldogs are interested in Stevens. They have a young midfield group with a number of similar mids from that same age group. Would have thought if they add another inside mid it would either be an elite mid or a quicker mid. But if Stevens develops into that Josh Kennedy/Jobe Watson variety mid then maybe it's worth it and I can only assume that is their vision.
Also on the Dogs selection they might be forced into using it on Lachie Hunter (F/S) so if keen on Stevens another asset might need to be used.

Not sure Hickey is worth pick 27. Probably worth a selection more in the mid-late 30s. pick 27 feels a bit much for what is still very much a project ruckman.
Yeah, the Bulldogs is what is being discussed in other threads, but it could of course be off the mark and to be more specific, the full suggestion was our pick 12 or 13 and 27 for Caddy and Hickey, if Goddard leaves, as expected.

Stephens isn't bad, but he's slow and one dimensional in his role. It's a bit of an indictment on him that he has been kept out of the side all these years by assorted players like McGinnity & Swift.

I think he'd end up being a similar result to Brent Prismall once traded - he'd be given more chances at his new club but he wouldn't neccesarily show enough to hold his spot or impress to the level people were expecting. WCE look to be in a pretty good spot as his perceived talent is still up after only 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back