Traded Kristian Jaksch + Mark Whiley + Pick 19 traded for Pick 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Still waiting for my link...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-kristian-jaksch/story-fn69a32t-1227076499399

ST KILDA is prepared to give up pick 1 to land former top-10 draft picks Jono O’Rourke and Kristian Jaksch.

Midfielder O’Rourke has been linked to Hawthorn but St Kilda is hoping to secure both players in a deal similar to the one that saw Dom Tyson traded to Melbourne last year. The Demons moved from pick 2 to pick 9 in the draft, taking Christian Salem.

Saints head of football Chris Pelchen said the club had spoken to both Giants players.

“If that deal is formally put to us we’ll consider it but it hasn’t been at this stage ... but that’s the type of deal we’re looking at,” he told AFL Trade Radio.

Doesn't say that the offer was put to them in the end but it probably made Carlton put #7 on the table and the word from the start that Jaksch was leaning towards Carlton would have killed off any further dealings. Put it this way, if Jaksch was open to it and Carlton weren't going to stump up #7, the deal as proposed by @DaVilla was extremely likely.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-kristian-jaksch/story-fn69a32t-1227076499399

Doesn't say that the offer was put to them in the end but it probably made Carlton put #7 on the table and the word from the start that Jaksch was leaning towards Carlton would have killed off any further dealings. Put it this way, if Jaksch was open to it and Carlton weren't going to stump up #7, the deal as proposed by @DaVilla was extremely likely.
Extremely likely? The club said they were prepared to look at the deal. This is the same article that said we would pick up Taylor Hunt, not exactly credible resources by the looks of it.
Either way it's a far cry from davilla say we were 'desperate to get him'.

So are we saying St Kilda didn't want him, and if they did, it is inconceivable that he would choose Carlton? Not sure why the defensiveness over such a trivial contention.
I'm saying a strongly St Kilda-biased trade offer is not an indicator of 'massive interest'. When St Kilda's massively interested in a player, they have a history of offering up stupid deals that benefit the other team, not themselves (eg: Picks 25 & 26 & Cripps for Mitch Brown).

Just finding the exaggerations of St Kilda's intentions comedic.

Extremely likely? The club said they were prepared to look at the deal. This is the same article that said we would pick up Taylor Hunt, not exactly credible resources by the looks of it.
Either way it's a far cry from davilla say we were 'desperate to get him'.

Look, the Saints wanted him and if Jaksch didn't want Carlton, he'd be a Saints player right now. That's the point. Semantics about their level of enthusiasm notwithstanding.

Look, the Saints wanted him and if Jaksch didn't want Carlton, he'd be a Saints player right now. That's the point. Semantics about their level of enthusiasm notwithstanding.
I see your new to this discussion. I know the saints were interested, as many other clubs would've been. Your fellow supporter said we were desperate and offered pick 1, which we didn't. That's the point.

I see your new to this discussion. I know the saints were interested, as many other clubs would've been. Your fellow supporter said we were desperate and offered pick 1, which we didn't. That's the point.

Didn't he say you wanted to do Jaksch, O'Rourke and #4 for #1? That's the post I read without going back even further.

In my book just with how KJ is going ATM the trade for pick7 was worth it.
Highly rated 20yr KP are wroth plenty just ask the doggies.
Add in BB and Whiely and its a no brainer.

GWS were more then happy to do 3 for 1's. They need to cut there list size down every year ATM.

What they wanted is there 1 to be of a high value.

Saints should have done that trade. If KJ was willing to go there. They would have got KJ JOR and with
pick 4 would have most likely got McCathin anyways.
Lucky for us KJ grew up a Blue Boy.

JOR was always going to the hawks. KJ decided after much deliberation as I remember we weren't sure which team he was going to pick.

I never wanted to let whiley go. Unfortunate victim of a list reduction but who does he displace in our midfield. At least with adding Ahern we have spread our age profile

JOR was always going to the hawks. KJ decided after much deliberation as I remember we weren't sure which team he was going to pick.

I never wanted to let whiley go. Unfortunate victim of a list reduction but who does he displace in our midfield. At least with adding Ahern we have spread our age profile

KJ first preference was always Carlton. We hadn't put @7 on the table yet and the saints were offering a better draft pick.
When things looked like Stalemate. Essendope tried to trump the blues and saints picks.
But KJ was not even willing to speak with them.

Ahern was a type of player which your list did not have. I think he could be a gun forward mid.
How where his nab cup games ?

Who's? I asked for a link to where St.Kilda offered pick 1.

Now you are wriggling. I posted an article where the Saints said they would be open to a Tyson type deal for Pick 1, involving Jaksch. You are intent on arguing a point because there is no formal offer reported on. In 99% of cases, you never get to find out exactly what was offered for deals that don't go through. As Jaksch chose Carlton, St Kilda would not have formally offered Pick 1 to GWS, but they most certainly let them know that Pick 1 was on the table for such a deal.

The only other contention is whether they were desperate or just very interested. Again, it's a game of semantics that is neither here nor there.

Bottom line, #1 was on the table for a deal involving Jaksch, signifying that the Saints were at least very interested. Question the voracity of their interest if it helps you argue the point, but it doesn't really further the discussion.

DaVillaBlues merely sung Jaksch's praises and said he can see why the Saints were desperate to get him. It was all positive towards Jaksch and not at all negative towards the Saints. You jumped in saying that if the Saints were desperate to get him, they would have him. There is no basis in fact for this contention. It implies given a choice of two teams, Jaksch would choose the Saints.

DVB then said countered that the Saints had offered up Pick 1 but Jaksch chose Carlton. You have had someone else tell you that a family member advised that Jaksch was always going to choose Carlton.

I'm not sure what you are arguing anymore. Are you wanting absolute proof #1 was on the table because you believe if it was Saints would have Jaksch as you originally contended? Because the decision was still his to make, not GWS's unless they pushed him into the PSD despite us offering them a fair trade as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St.Kilda wouldn't have offered one for Jaksch....not even with O'Rourke attached.

Didn't know that was the angle. Jaksch wanted to play for carlton though.

They indicated they were prepared to offer up Pick 1 for Jaksch in a Dom Tyson type deal. DVB saying they offered up Pick 1 was in response to the poster claiming that if St Kilda wanted him, they would have got him. It was purely an attempt to deflect the contention that Jaksch ultimately chose Carlton over St Kilda. Not sure why, happens all the time in sport. God knows we've been rejected by a lot of players in the past.

Now you are wriggling. I posted an article where the Saints said they would be open to a Tyson type deal for Pick 1, involving Jaksch. You are intent on arguing a point because there is no formal offer reported on. In 99% of cases, you never get to find out exactly what was offered for deals that don't go through. As Jaksch chose Carlton, St Kilda would not have formally offered Pick 1 to GWS, but they most certainly let them know that Pick 1 was on the table for such a deal.

The only other contention is whether they were desperate or just very interested. Again, it's a game of semantics that is neither here nor there.

Bottom line, #1 was on the table for a deal involving Jaksch, signifying that the Saints were at least very interested. Question the voracity of their interest if it helps you argue the point, but it doesn't really further the discussion.

DaVillaBlues merely sung Jaksch's praises and said he can see why the Saints were desperate to get him. It was all positive towards Jaksch and not at all negative towards the Saints. You jumped in saying that if the Saints were desperate to get him, they would have him. There is no basis in fact for this contention. It implies given a choice of two teams, Jaksch would choose the Saints.

DVB then said countered that the Saints had offered up Pick 1 but Jaksch chose Carlton. You have had someone else tell you that a family member advised that Jaksch was always going to choose Carlton.

I'm not sure what you are arguing anymore. Are you wanting absolute proof #1 was on the table because you believe if it was Saints would have Jaksch as you originally contended? Because the decision was still his to make, not GWS's unless they pushed him into the PSD despite us offering them a fair trade as well.
I'm not arguing mate, I keep getting bought back into this conversation.
I was told stkilda were desperate to get Jacksch and pick 1 was on the table, I asked for proof. The artocle you showed me had one quote from the club saying that'd consider that type of deal, not that deal. Hardly desperate. The Bulldogs were desperate for boyd, see how far they went to get him. Massive difference. I couldn't actually care less we didn't get him, much happier with how our trade/draft period went.

I'm not arguing mate, I keep getting bought back into this conversation.
I was told stkilda were desperate to get Jacksch and pick 1 was on the table, I asked for proof. The artocle you showed me had one quote from the club saying that'd consider that type of deal, not that deal. Hardly desperate. The Bulldogs were desperate for boyd, see how far they went to get him. Massive difference. I couldn't actually care less we didn't get him, much happier with how our trade/draft period went.

You're missing the point. The issue was never about how desperate the Saints were, it was about how good Jaksch looks and how the poster could see why the Saints wanted him. You responded by saying that if they desperately wanted him, they would have got him. That's plainly not the case as Jaksch had a say. He threw up Pick 1 to highlight that the Saints really did want him. The Saints said they were interested and would consider a deal involving Pick 1. The rest is pointless semantics.

Yes, the Dogs really wanted Boyd and went a long way to get him, BUT Boyd had to indicate he wanted to go there before they made that offer to GWS. No agreement with Boyd, no formal offer to GWS. That's the way it works.

The only point really being made in the post you originally quoted is that Jaksch looks to be a good player and would have been handy for Carlton and St Kilda ... glad he chose us and we got the deal done.

Last edited:
KJ first preference was always Carlton. We hadn't put @7 on the table yet and the saints were offering a better draft pick.
When things looked like Stalemate. Essendope tried to trump the blues and saints picks.
But KJ was not even willing to speak with them.

Ahern was a type of player which your list did not have. I think he could be a gun forward mid.
How where his nab cup games ?
He played for UWS and looked alright before his injury. I see him getting a few games as a sub this year at most unless we have an injury crisis in the midfield/flanks

You're missing the point. The issue was never about how desperate the Saints were, it was about how good Jaksch looks and how the poster could see why the Saints wanted him. You responded by saying that if they desperately wanted him, they would have got him. That's plainly not the case as Jaksch had a say. He threw up Pick 1 to highlight that the Saints really did want him. The Saints said they were interested and would consider a deal involving Pick 1. The rest is pointless semantics.

Yes, the Dogs really wanted Boyd and went a long way to get him, BUT Boyd had to indicate he wanted to go there before they made that offer to GWS. No agreement with Boyd, not formal offer to GWS. That's the way it works.

The only point really being made in the post you originally quoted is that Jaksch looks to be a good player and would have been handy for Carlton and St Kilda ... glad he chose us and we got the deal done.
Ok you're right.

He certainly has looked good, but I'd wait to see him play a game at AFL level at least before declaring it a win. It will be interesting to see how Peter Wright develops given the Blues could've had him at that pick.

He's played AFL games, good ones too.

Jaksch was always going to the club that presented GWS with the best serious deal. He spoke to a few clubs.

Thought he was okay last night. Had the sooks up big time, but plenty of things he couldn't control went against him, and a player in his eighth game isn't going to perform while being thrown from end to end.

Jaksch was always going to the club that presented GWS with the best serious deal. He spoke to a few clubs.

Thought he was okay last night. Had the sooks up big time, but plenty of things he couldn't control went against him, and a player in his eighth game isn't going to perform while being thrown from end to end.
Okay? Geese I'd hate to see him play bad then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back