List Cull pre draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The same can't be said for Pavlich, Crowley, McPharlin etc. It is unlikely any of them will improve next year and I doubt any of them will be near the best in the league for their position.
I think Pavlich will improve if Ballas and Walters are in the team. There is also the improvement in Tabs/Apeness that can help Pavlich. I really don't like the measuring stick applied to Pavlich as he has to deal with double teams nearly every game which means we don't have our lineup right. I don't see Roughhead getting that treatment.

Personally, I think the whole "Pav being double teamed" is a myth (or an excuse, whichever way you like it) spread by Freo fans. He isn't kicking as many goals because he is being beaten 1v1 or 1v2 more often than he used to be. Also our gameplan creates congestion in the forwardline and Pavlich has never been a Cloke / Tippet / Hawkins contested mark.
Yes and that myth is on video for all to see.

I think Pavlich will improve if Ballas and Walters are in the team. There is also the improvement in Tabs/Apeness that can help Pavlich. I really don't like the measuring stick applied to Pavlich as he has to deal with double teams nearly every game which means we don't have our lineup right. I don't see Roughhead getting that treatment.
There is possible improvement to the forward line which helps Pavlich.

Pavlich is in no way going to have his best season, or even one of his best five seasons.

By contrast, this season from Sandilands was one of his better ones.

Chopping Board as in he has just had further shoulder surgery and travelling with Ibbo on an offseason trip?

Ohhhh. I think:confused:

Given the thread topic, I don't think that's what Silent Alarm meant.

But that also doesn't make sense, because he just signed (well a few weeks back) a 1 year contract extension ... didn't he??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a news article somewhere that said he had signed an extension but there has been nothing from the club about it.

Ah yes, remember that back and forth now.

If he's not contracted at this stage, it becomes more and more likely he's on the way out one way or another.

don't see why we'd be cutting Duffy unless we extremely confident in Simpson :/

There could be lots of reasons we don't fully know about, being "confident in Simpson" could be one of them, but I don't see them as linked necessarily.

Maybe he's on the outer while the club wait on McPharlin. If Elvis goes on, we're going to need to find at least one more to cut. He could be that one more hanging out there (along with Simpson of course).

Sorry if I haven't been paying attention :D

So we must delist 3 as per the yearly draft requirements.
We already have 2 in Gumby and Kepler.

We need to delist one more right?
What if we take in another free agent (e.g. Frawley), or trade for another player (e.g. Ryder) with picks? We need to delist one more for every additional player we take in?

What if we take in another free agent (e.g. Frawley), or trade for another player (e.g. Ryder) with picks? We need to delist one more for every additional player we take in?

Its surprisingly hard to find the actual rules for list management written out. I think you're right though and that each club must enter the draft with three places available on the senior list (you don't have to use all three picks, saving one or more spots for delisted free agency or preseason draft).

So we'll need to delist one more baring a trade for picks/ pick upgrade or another retirement.

Well, you got one thing right by using those examples, you haven't been paying attention. :p

But yes, in short you need to enter the drafting period with at least three spots available on your list.

I've quoted The West article about Duffy in the past but having a contract doesn't mean you survive. Anthony got his contract axed early and paid out. While unlikely, doubt anyone here would be disappointed if Sylvia was axed this year ( if we had enough in the cap i'd be supportive, just strikes me as arrogant, lazy and ridden his top 5 pick all the way through his career and never delivered).

Duffy, while he had a great game against Geelong is behind a fair few small forward options before getting a game. Not a massive concern for me either way, as we are talking fringe players and not losing a Mundy to FA or Fyfe, unlike Collingwood who two out of the top four 2014 B&F players are actively looking to leave - Beams (2nd in 2014 B&F) and Harry/Heritier/O/Lubumba formerly known as symbol (4th in 2014 B&F) that is serious a concern imo.

For me I find the complete silence on Simpson confusing.. surely its a delist and rookie spot?

Well, you got one thing right by using those examples, you haven't been paying attention. :p

But yes, in short you need to enter the drafting period with at least three spots available on your list.

Thanks PapaJ.
All the speculation is too much for me, so I thought I'll sit back a little to wait and see what happen :)

Given the rule and our list situation, seems like we can't really go for speculative FAs or trades. Anyone we bring in must not only be an improvement, it must also outweigh the loss of Duffy or Simpson (or someone else with potential), since we need to drop another one to maintain the quota of 3.

Now I'm really thinking there is a chance we may trade Clarke or Suban for picks/upgrades in order to maintain space on the list.

FWIW, I'll thought that Hannath is more at risk that Duffy for the final spot for delist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back