List Mgmt. List Management 2014 - Contracts, Retirements, Delistings, Trade Bait (Updated in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Marcus Adams from West Perth maybe. Often plays in the ruck but whenever he has gone forward and West Perth can manage to get the ball down there he has looked pretty good to me. Put a full preseason into him to build his tank and he would be right to go as forward/ruck (forward more his natural position). Huge bloke, good overhead, accurate kick and seems to move ok just a question on his tank coming from amos the year before.

Reminds me a little of troy Wilson just in his size and looks as a big wrecking ball FF.
Big lump of a lad

Yeah that is why i only mentioned Sydney because they have the most to gain. They got Tom Mitchell F & S a few years ago and Freo were desperate to get him and now they are getting academy players as well. Apparently the boy they are going to get next year is even better. The whole system is a joke and greatly favours certain clubs over others.I wouldn't have thought Sydney need any continued assistance, they have been one of the premier clubs for years now and they clearly don't have problems attracting players. If they want academy players they should have to give up close to market value.

Attracting players is not the AFL's concern any more, not as such anyway, it's attracting the fickle Sydney market and the money that comes with it. It is essentially priority 1 when it comes to anything concerning the NSW system. So yeah, they don't give a s**t about anything else or if Sydney (and eventually GWS) perennially make top 4, in fact they love it. They know that the traditional markets will hang in there no matter what, the Sydney market simply wont - and the AFL pander to it.

Having said that, it's only a matter of time before they tighten some of that stuff up. They are now so strong and in all likelihood will stay that way for a good while. They'll placate the rest of the comp to some degree.

Yeah and we might trade MDB, Suban, Sherro etc. Still not sure what's happening with Simpson either
I'd like to hold on to Sheridan. He has the talent and the tank, he'll start putting it all together soon. Just needs a few more kgs on his frame. I think we are more likely to trade from an area of surplus (ruck depth).

I'd like to hold on to Sheridan. He has the talent and the tank, he'll start putting it all together soon. Just needs a few more kgs on his frame. I think we are more likely to trade from an area of surplus (ruck depth).
Yeah I couldn't think of a third name so I chucked him in, I wouldn't want to trade him either.

Griffen would be worth a bit to one of the Adelaide clubs, particularly Port

Yeah I couldn't think of a third name so I chucked him in, I wouldn't want to trade him either.

Griffen would be worth a bit to one of the Adelaide clubs, particularly Port

C Pearce, de Boer, Suban, Griffin are all players just out of the 22 who have limited improvement left in them and would be in a lot of other teams best 22.

These are the players I would consider trading before I even looked at Sheridan.

So if we trade Griffen, who is our back up ruck when Sandi hangs up the boots? Hannath?

Hannath, Moller, Apeness. That's not to mention there's no guarantee Gumby is leaving, and we could also trade for another ruckman (preferably one who is a more accomplished forward than Griffin or Clarke, like Casboult or Griffiths).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C Pearce, de Boer, Suban, Griffin are all players just out of the 22 who have limited improvement left in them and would be in a lot of other teams best 22.

These are the players I would consider trading before I even looked at Sheridan.
Actually forgot about Clancee

Grand Finals are won with a best 22, you make a GF over a season with a best 25-30. These guys are ready made replacements should we need them. We can't let them go. Why strengthen someone else's list with ready to go players so we can pick up another player to develop?
McPharlin, Bradley, Gumby, Simpson to go ( Simpson to rookie). That gives us four picks. Perfect IMO.

So if we trade Griffen, who is our back up ruck when Sandi hangs up the boots? Hannath?

Sandilands has at least next season left in him, and who knows beyond that. It is certainly possible that he could continue to play a role for a longer time. However we have re-signed Hannath, and we do have Apeness and Moller, both of whom are your modern forward/ruck types. Clearly they both need to develop in that area, but a combo with them would be fine with me where they are expected to ruck 25% of the time. In the meantime draft a young ruck on the list for the future.

If as I expect Sandilands retires after next season, Griffin is going to be 30 years +. He is hardly a solution for when Sandilands hangs up the boots. His time is now, and his opportunity is passing rapidly.

Last edited:

Who says? The same thing was more than likely said about Mz a couple of years ago.

We all saw how good Clarke is when number one ruck. Hannath/Apeness would be second ruck/fwd. We wouldn't be the only team playing with one standout ruck

We all saw how good Clarke is when number one ruck. Hannath/Apeness would be second ruck/fwd. We wouldn't be the only team playing with one standout ruck
If Sandi plays on, then he needs to be managed such that he is not playing on ball as such - more of a monster forward or defender who can ruck in that zone.

Grand Finals are won with a best 22, you make a GF over a season with a best 25-30. These guys are ready made replacements should we need them. We can't let them go. Why strengthen someone else's list with ready to go players so we can pick up another player to develop?
McPharlin, Bradley, Gumby, Simpson to go ( Simpson to rookie). That gives us four picks. Perfect IMO.

Yes, we can (not all of them though). Because, we will win just as many games with Morabito, Crozier and Sheridan on the bench as we will with Suban DeBoer and Clancee. And in the long run, the younger blokes will become better. I'm not saying we will trade them, I'm saying we could lose one or two fringe players and it wouldn't hurt us significantly.

Yes, we can (not all of them though). Because, we will win just as many games with Morabito, Crozier and Sheridan on the bench as we will with Suban DeBoer and Clancee. And in the long run, the younger blokes will become better. I'm not saying we will trade them, I'm saying we could lose one or two fringe players and it wouldn't hurt us significantly.
We're pretty much agreeing. As it stands Crozier is in the team. Mora, Shero, Deboer, Clancee and Suban + our starting 22 = 27 players + apeness, Hannath is the 30 I talked about. It's obviously this balance which makes a great squad. IMO a great squad has seasoned players with young guns coming through, not young guns with a few seasoned players. Loading up on yoof gives peaks and troughs, not the consistency of a Sydney or Geelong.

I posted this list on the main board just before. Thought I'd re-post here, we have a solid team heading forward and I think our trading needs to bolster the team below. I see we could probably do with another tall defender to go with Alex Pearce. Also if Pav retires after next season then we would be relying on Apeness and Tabs to be our main tall forwards (they will be 21yo and 23yo respectively). Will they be able to flourish while taking the oppositions best defenders? Gumby was meant to be the stop gap but that hasn't eventuated.

Players under 28 years old.

Midfield
Fyfe - 23yo
Hill - 24yo
Barlow - 26yo
Morabito - 23yo
Neale - 21yo
Zac Clarke - 24yo

Forwards
Micheal Walters - 23yo
Hayden Ballantyne - 27yo
Hayden Crozier - 20yo
Chris Mayne -26yo
Matt Taberner - 21yo

Backline
Cameron Sutcliffe - 22yo
Lee Spurr - 27yo
Alex Silvagni - 27yo
Garrick Ibbotson - 26yo

Potentials
Max Duffy - Fwd - 21yo
Alex Pearce - Def - 19yo
Tommy Sheridan - Mid - 20yo
Micheal Apeness - Fwd - 19yo

Suban/De Boer/Clancee haven't been listed because I'm not sure if they are in our future best 22, but who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back