List Mgmt. List management thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike are you just going to list every young fringe player in the league

Only the ones I like. Some of those players might not even be fringe players when the year is up.

If Steven May ever falls out of favor at Gold Coast, we should definitely look at him.
At 190cm and 101kg he would be the perfect 3rd tall defender who can play as the number 1 defender when required. Gave Tyrone Vickery an absolute bath when he had some ridiculous amount kicks to him as the number 1 target. May had 17 spoils, 16 disposals and 5 rebounds on a player 10cm taller than him and who got the ball kicked at him more frequently than Travis Cloke.

Last edited:
If Steven May ever falls out of favor at Gold Coast, we should definitely look at him.
At 190cm and 101kg he would be the perfect 3rd tall defender who can play as the number 1 defender when required. Gave Tyrone Vickery an absolute bath when he had some ridiculous amount kicks to him as the number 1 target. May had 17 spoils, 16 disposals and 5 rebounds on a player 10cm taller than him and who got the ball kicked at him more frequently than Travis Cloke.

I was going to mention him but i don't think he is going to fall out of favor.

Sorry guys I'm back:

Cam Ellis-Yolmen looks like a promising medium running defender.

http://www.afc.com.au/player-profile/cameron-ellisyolmen

Shaun McKernan looks like he could be a handy forward/ruckman

http://www.afc.com.au/player-profile/shaun-mckernan

So does Josh Jenkins

http://www.afc.com.au/player-profile/josh-jenkins

Tall half backs are always handy Brodie Smith is 194cm

http://www.afc.com.au/player-profile/brodie-smith

Tom Lynch could be a very good key forward

http://www.afc.com.au/player-profile/tom-t-lynch

Last edited:
Maybe in two years time or so, Jack Martin won't be getting a game and looks somewhere for a better opportunity.

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/player-profile/jack-martin

What.gif

Key word "Maybe"

I disagree. No 'maybes' about it. Kid will be untouchable. Only way he leaves Gold Coast is if he's homesick. And since he's from WA, that counts us out...

I disagree. No 'maybes' about it. Kid will be untouchable. Only way he leaves Gold Coast is if he's homesick. And since he's from WA, that counts us out...

There is still a very slim chance slimmer than the slimmest chance possible that what I said could happen.

There is still a very slim chance slimmer than the slimmest chance possible that what I said could happen.

There usually is with most things in the universe.

But full credit for aiming high in your approach.

Will Hoskin-Elliott, Kieran Harper, Dereck Wangerneen, Jordan Schroder, Ahmed Saad (once he's served his suspension), Hayden Crozier, Alex Sexton and Harry Cunningham. All are younger, have more upside, aren't proven spuds and are available at the right price. Hoskin-Elliott is the only one with high currency.

There's also the likes of Blease and Lucas who are of a similar category of spudedness, but in worse development systems than Essendon's.

That's without mentioning the likes of Martin and Mooney who provide better value and are already on our list!

It's a really nice list of guys to look at and I agree with a large number of them, albeit conditionally.

Wanganeen looks set to break out and establish himself this year. Cunningham the same. You'd love to have either/both though going off what we've seen to this point. Harper, Hoskin-Elliott and Crozier all look like they'll struggle to establish themselves at their current clubs so their guys you'd look at when they're being given away. Smedts is another I regard in a similar light where similarly he has the talent but I don't see him making it at his current club. Sexton I really like and I feel can establish himself for Gold Coast, if he isn't best 22 at seasons end I'd highly recommend looking at him if he continues to develop strongly this year. Schroeder is a good VFL mid and may yet establish himself but I'm not convinced he's a going to make it at Geelong or a fit for Collingwood. He's a big body but not the taller big we need to bring in.

For those looking for some other names so as not to double up. *Note: I'm less recommending these players as much as I am pointing out some guys who could be available and are worth tracking throughout the year as potential list fits:

Arryn Siposs as a back flanker with his long damaging kick, nice speed/endurance combo, marking ability and height intrigues me as a fit. Has been playing mostly forward these past couple of years but down back is my vision for him.

Lauchlan Dalgleish another efficient long kick and also has some pace. Very light frame but another weapon off a back flank hiding at the bottom of another teams list not being utilised.

Jackson Allen: A wingman/back flanker with yet again a weapon of a kick who can roost it long but then also uses it beautifully. Not tall like the others but put the ball in his hand and he'll run if he can and go long and hit targets like few others in the competition.

Lewis Stevenson similarly I feel could be a fit down back on the smaller forwards. He's another long kick who again uses it really well and if the AFL prospectus is correct from his 9 senior games he didn't have a goal kicking on him.

Sebastian Ross: Tall midfielder and if he doesn't establish himself this year could be a good get. He struggled last year as a tagger but has the right attitude, skillset and body size.

Tim Membrey: Big bodied forward who I can't help but speculate would look good through a midfield. In Sydney's oversized front half he's not getting games now or in the future and is someone worth tracking if he continues to improve.

Harry Marsh: Tall, strong bodied midfielder (brother of new fan favourite Collingwood's Jonathon). Not as athletic he's instead more someone you groom to develop into your big bodied Josh Kennedy size midfielder with another couple of preseasons into him.

--
If Brown and Keeffe continue to perform poorly I may also need to add some opposition listed backmen to this list.

But for underutilised talent I fancy the general defenders and the developing big bodied midfield types. They seem to go unnoticed on team lists at times and can often be pried away from clubs. They're also probably two of our more important list needs requiring immediate addressing with our back half just plain ugly and not talented enough to be relevant as well as our need for one if not two tall/big bodied midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Jaegar O'meara doesn't get enough opportunity then joins us for a 4th rounder :drunk:

Maybe Gary Ablett might not get a game at Goald Coast and we get him for a 5th rounder :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

I really like the list you have in mind for us Knightmare. I've always felt that it's difficult to prize big mids (especially talented ones) out of the opposition so to see that there's at least a couple available is encouraging.

I really think this year we can't cut too deep because we've been turning the list over like mad men of late and it isn't sustainable. For mine our most immediate list holes and those that I'd like to see addressed (discounting KPP with Moore looking increasingly likely) from within the AFL are two of a back up ruck, big mobile mid and a rebound backmen.

I don't like bringing in a whole heap of players from other clubs in one off-season and feel that we went overboard with all of White, Adams, Karnezis and Armstrong. The last two weren't really needed because IMO they aren't really filling specific needs, though I haven't given up on Karnezis yet.

With that being said the 3-4 that I'd be all over at the end of the year would be

Seb Ross: I think with Markworth coming back and looking to be preferred as well as Acres and Dunstan being around that same size there may be an opportunity there for us. He's also in a position that he hasn't been in the system too long to have stalled his development completely.

Grimley: Been in the system long enough to step straight in. Is very athletic and would really compliment the brute strength of Grundy and Witts. He's someone that will go under the radar like McKernan last year, but has something about him. He was also Box Hill's leading goalkicker in 2013. Hale recently signed a contract extension and McEvoy isn't going anywhere so opportunities will be limited for him.

Stevenson: He looked good early las year, has size and is a sweet kick. It looks like he'll be squeezed out at Port with how they're tracking now and though I wasn't sold previously reading that info about goals conceded has put him on my radar.

Sexton: Speed, skill and size. He's going to be my special for the year. Cracking that GC midfield will be tough and he just has everything we need in the one package.

I just wanted to throw up the name Matthew Buntine as well as another worth tracking. The problem with all of this discussion though is that the players we're throwing about just don't seem to fit our "moneyball" strategy.

Last edited:
This is how I could see trades working out.

Danial Currie wants to leave and we get him next to nothing.

Michael Firrito through free agency so he can help develop guys like Oxley and Sharenberg.

We trade Jamie Elliot for Taylor Duryea and Jed Anderson.

I think our list would look better if this happened.

This is how I could see trades working out.

Danial Currie wants to leave and we get him next to nothing.

Michael Firrito through free agency so he can help develop guys like Oxley and Sharenberg.

We trade Jamie Elliot for Taylor Duryea and Jed Anderson.

I think our list would look better if this happened.
Really?

Daniel Currie has done nothing at senior level.

Michael Firrito is a spud, Maxwell would help develop those players better than he would.

Jamie Elliott has shown more at senior level than those two and is our best small forward.

We could trade Jarryd Blair for Aliir Aliir. I think Blair will just be spare parts after this season and we need to develop a key defender.

Really?

Daniel Currie has done nothing at senior level.

Michael Firrito is a spud, Maxwell would help develop those players better than he would.

Jamie Elliott has shown more at senior level than those two and is our best small forward.

We need a ruckman and if we could Currie for nothing why not?

Don't know why you think Firrito is spud.

We have to give up something to get something. I think Elliot is a great player but doesn't help us structurally.

Aliir Aliir hasn't even played a senior game yet. I don't know where you pull some of this s**t from, but I'm pretty sure you're some kind of master troll.

I don't think Blair is going to do much else for us. We need KPP down back.

We need a ruckman and if we could Currie for nothing why not?

Don't know why you think Firrito is spud.

We have to give up something to get something. I think Elliot is a great player but doesn't help us structurally.

I don't think Blair is going to do much else for us. We need KPP down back.
Currie just got his contract extended, he isn't going to be handed over for nothing.

Firrito is a spud because he's old and isn't very good.

Elliott is our best small forward, removing him from the team deprives us of our best small forward. Enough said.

I agree Blair's position is under threat by younger, more talented players and we do need another developing key defender. But how is Aliir Aliir the answer? He hasn't played a senior game yet and was lucky to be drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back