List Mgmt. List planning 2015 and onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

In light of our talking about Toumpas and Gorringe right now, let me direct you to the second post in this thread:

I'd still like for us to bring in Dan gorringe this year. Will be out of contract finally so hopefully he didn't do any damage there with his comments. Others that spring to mind are toumpass and trengove. But then who would they replace?

Always find it interesting in hindsight when you see stuff like this pop up. I had no idea anyone thought of Jimmy T until the end of the year. Good stuff though.

In light of our talking about Toumpas and Gorringe right now, let me direct you to the second post in this thread:

Always find it interesting in hindsight when you see stuff like this pop up. I had no idea anyone thought of Jimmy T until the end of the year. Good stuff though.

he was a wise old prophet that Portress Hill

There is a half a chance we made a promise to Gorringe in 2014 that we were unable to keep. If that is so, fulfilling that promise 12 months later may still be the honourable thing to do. I don't have a problem with his spat. He is 20 yo and by all accounts was desperate to come to Port. This is people's lives we are dealing with, not names on a whiteboard. If somehow we were able to get Dan, Dixon and Toumpas in for pick 10 and this and next year's second round picks, I would consider that a major win.

Watch how quickly people soften towards Dan, if this happens. Could still end up a 10 year Port premiership player.

Next years 2nd rounder o_O

It means they think they are one defender away from a very high finish next year.

Long may the delusion continue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we were to trade Lobbe, I'd be more inclined to go after Dawson from Geelong. Big lad with a good leap and soft hands. Has been squeezed out by the athletic duo of Biczavs and Stanley.

Is similar to Lobbe in that he is a lone ruckman or not at all. His problem has been getting on the park.

Has there been anymore discussion on Monfries and GWS today??

I really hope nothing eventuates there. Not only because i really like monfries and think port fans underestimate his value but because he came to us at our lowest eb. We were at footy park struggling on and off the field and he said, im coming to port adelaide. We need to reward and appreciate that.

If we were to trade Lobbe, I'd be more inclined to go after Dawson from Geelong. Big lad with a good leap and soft hands. Has been squeezed out by the athletic duo of Biczavs and Stanley.

Is similar to Lobbe in that he is a lone ruckman or not at all. His problem has been getting on the park.

And drink driving.

There is a half a chance we made a promise to Gorringe in 2014 that we were unable to keep. If that is so, fulfilling that promise 12 months later may still be the honourable thing to do. I don't have a problem with his spat. He is 20 yo and by all accounts was desperate to come to Port. This is people's lives we are dealing with, not names on a whiteboard. If somehow we were able to get Dan, Dixon and Toumpas in for pick 10 and this and next year's second round picks, I would consider that a major win.

Watch how quickly people soften towards Dan, if this happens. Could still end up a 10 year Port premiership player.
X2. We actually screwed him over. We would've done a lot of work in the background to prove we could get him and work on a deal for him and then to fail after he'd announced it would've been devastating for him. I don't blame him at all. I would've done the same thing.

X2. We actually screwed him over. We would've done a lot of work in the background to prove we could get him and work on a deal for him and then to fail after he'd announced it would've been devastating for him. I don't blame him at all. I would've done the same thing.

mate, your a refreshing voice of reason around here.

As for talent, based on his season alone you wouldnt take him, but just think about how well you perform when you hate your employer and where your at generally. it has a massive negative impact on you. Since he is only 23, id give him a couple of seasons to see what he can do. If it pays off, then awsome, if not....big deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd only be in favour of getting Gorringe if we traded Lobbe (which we should do IMO) and he came for a DFA/token draft pick type price. Obviously anyone would rather have Lobbe than Gorringe, but if they're both only going to be there as lead ruck for the Magpies and back-up to Ryder anyway then I'd rather have Gorringe and pick 12 than Lobbe and a fourth rounder.

Despite the poor start to his career, he is a young, cheap, SA born former top 10 draft pick, and he wouldn't be the first ruck to suddenly come good in his mid-20's. Even Shaun McKernan played some pretty good football this year, and he's fairly comparable to Gorringe.

It's not talent that worries me with Gorringe, it's his lack of aggression/toughness on the field and his entitled attitude off the field that worries me. But maybe the year that he's had will have been a wake up call for him. Maybe it matured him a bit and knocked some of that entitlement out of him. If Ken talks to him and trusts that he passes the no dickheads test, I will too.

Last edited:
I'd only be in favour of getting Gorringe if we traded Lobbe (which we should do IMO) and he came for a DFA/token draft pick type price. Obviously anyone would rather have Lobbe than Gorringe, but if they're both only going to be there as back-up to Ryder then I'd rather have Gorringe and pick 12 than Lobbe and a fourth rounder.

Despite the poor start to his career, he is a young, cheap, SA born former top 10 draft pick, and he wouldn't be the first ruck to suddenly come good in his mid-20's. Even Shaun McKernan played some pretty good football this year, and he's fairly comparable to Gorringe.

It's not talent that worries me with Gorringe, it's his lack of aggression/toughness on the field and his entitled attitude off the field that worries me. But maybe the year that he's had will have been a wake up call for him. Maybe it matured him a bit and knocked some of that entitlement out of him. If Ken talks to him and trusts that he passes the no dickheads test, I will too.

agree with every single word.

We didn't screw him over. His manager and father should have made him understand a deal is not a deal until it's done. Essendon screwed us over by holding off Ryder until the eleventh hour and then insisting on our first 2 picks. Then GWS refused to accept anything we could offer and there was no time left to try to find any other deal. We were trying to hold onto pick 37 for Gorringe.

The Gorringe situation from last year is one thing.

The other thing is that he was really really awful this year. How much time are you willing to give him? The fact that there appears to be no AFL club interested in him and that Gold Coast themselves has basically had to nominate him to an SA club just to raise his trade value slightly (something about 'we will try to facilitate a Gorringe trade to an SA club) has to speak of something.

At this point, I'd still say Gorringe is a project player who might bloom late and if we're looking for that, then cool. If we're looking for a ready to go ruck there are better options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back