List Mgmt. List planning 2015 and onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Fortunately for us we aren't likely to lose anything of great value like the Hawks, Sydney, Saints and Crows.

Our at risks would be Young, Moore, Shaw and Clurey. Two second choice depth mids and two KPPs who haven't shown much yet and are really backed due to potential.

Stewart, Logan and Butcher may leave or be dropped but aren't huge losses.

I really don't feel like we have enough money to go after a big name free agent at this point.

We're all in with what we've got, at least until, say, Kane and Schulz retire.

Fortunately, what we've got is good enough to win a flag now, and as it develops. We just have to actually do it.

I really don't feel like we have enough money to go after a big name free agent at this point.

Fortunately, what we've got is good enough to win a flag now, and as it develops. We just have to actually do it.
If Hawthorn can continue to pull in big names whilst keeping the ones the already have, why can't we?

If Hawthorn can continue to pull in big names whilst keeping the ones the already have, why can't we?

They haven't kept the ones they already have though. They just lost the biggest name in the league to Sydney.

Our next big shot in the free agency market will be made once Kane and Schulz retire. Until then we just wont have the cap space.

It's okay though, we've done absolute wonders at trading guys in over the last few years. Ebert, Polec, Monfries, Ryder, Hombsch, Neade, White. You could even argue Krakouer given that he was on another AFL list before ours.

We haven't done quite as well as Hawthorn, but we've still done pretty amazingly at the trade and free agency table. I'd imagine with guys like Wines, Wingard etc wanting better contracts and the guys we've already recruited, we'll be pushing it for cap space. Hopefully our boys recognise the opportunity they have and do their best to keep the squad together for as long as possible.

They haven't kept the ones they already have though. They just lost the biggest name in the league to Sydney.

Our next big shot in the free agency market will be made once Kane and Schulz retire. Until then we just wont have the cap space.

It's okay though, we've done absolute wonders at trading guys in over the last few years. Ebert, Polec, Monfries, Ryder, Hombsch, Neade, White. You could even argue Krakouer given that he was on another AFL list before ours.

We haven't done quite as well as Hawthorn, but we've still done pretty amazingly at the trade and free agency table. I'd imagine with guys like Wines, Wingard etc wanting better contracts and the guys we've already recruited, we'll be pushing it for cap space. Hopefully our boys recognise the opportunity they have and do their best to keep the squad together for as long as possible.
Yeah they lost Franklin but even before then they brought in Gunston, Gibson, Hale, Burgoyne, Lake while having to hold onto players like Roughead, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Rioli and Franklin. And during that time, the players they have lost to make those gains haven't really been best 22.

I don't think our best 11 would be paid on anything near the same sort of coin those 11 named above were on.

Yeah they lost Franklin but even before then they brought in Gunston, Gibson, Hale, Burgoyne, Lake while having to hold onto players like Roughead, Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Rioli and Franklin. And during that time, the players they have lost to make those gains haven't really been best 22.

I don't think our best 11 would be paid on anything near the same sort of coin those 11 named above were on.

I reckon you'll find that the salary cap dictates that our best players are probably being paid a similar amount to Hawthorn's best players.

Gunston was a kid. Burgoyne probably wasn't a money issue, he just wanted out of Port Adelaide. Gibson and Hale were solid but unspectacular 2nd tier players at North. Lake was going for one last crack at a flag.

In the mean time, they've lost to retirement and other clubs the likes of Crawford, Campbell Brown, Josh Kennedy, McGlynn, Renouf, Dew, Ellis, Ladson, Bateman, Sewell. Along with Franklin, a lot of those players would have been on pretty reasonable coin.

I'm not expecting us to lose Boak, Gray, Trengove, Wines or Wingard.

I am expecting us to lose players in the 2nd tier, along the lines of Moore, O'Shea, Stewart. We've already lost Newton and Jacobs. We'll lose Kornes and Schulz to retirement in the middle of our window. We'll probably lose Monfries, Westhoff, Carlile and White along the same lines.

We'll be able to bring in players, but it will be as we lose other players. I don't imagine us landing a financial big fish. Certainly not an elite KPF or anything similar. Yes, we'll hopefully be able to top up to keep us in the hunt, but we'll have to manage our list well and target the right sort of player. Quality kids, 2nd tier players who can contribute and players from s**t clubs hoping to jag a flag before they retire are probably who we need to be looking at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we got a $1m key forward then it would be thanks and goodbye Schulz, Cornes and Butcher.

If we got a $1m key forward then it would be thanks and goodbye Schulz, Cornes and Butcher.

I wasn't aware that people saw Butcher as such a big salary cap hit going forward but if you think Butcher is going to turn into a really good forward who will become too expensive to keep if we signed say, a Jeremy Cameron, that's the kind of Butcher optimism I can get behind!

Butcher is on just a bit over average salary. (approx 300k).
Mainly due to the fact Carlton were jacking his price up by offering 350-400k.
In retrospect, as soon as Carlton wanted to recruit him we should have known what a huge spud he was.

If GWS were willing to part with pick 4 for SJ, and Melbourne with 2, 3 and Toumpas for Dangerfield, then both Carlisle and Motlop are worth top 5 picks on the open market.

If we can sell our premiership chances we may be able to leverage a player's desire to join our club to work a discounted trade price (as we did for Ryder).. But we'd still be looking at our first round pick (13-18) plus a good quality fringe player of Young/Clurey standard for either.

Just looking at our list..I know it's really early to be thinking about draftees.

It will be hard to bring in best 22 quality via trading. I can see Motlop being a target to play outside mid/fwd flank. Which would at least cost us our first rounder, But that's about it.

Now on to development players via the draft....I think the Maggies lineups are a good representation of our depth.
The area we lack that stands out to me is...

A developing big bodied mid (Mainly due to the loss of Newton.) Ah Chee slots in there but his spot on the list isn't safe. I think we need 1 more regardless if he gets another year or not, I think we are a tad short.

Also if you look at our outside mid depth Mitchell is pretty much the only guy there. (Amon I consider a fwd flanker and Hoon a back flanker). If we end up getting Motlop then I don't think we need to worry about this area.

Another developing small forward. If we get Motlop that would put Neade out of the side and he'd be a depth small forward. Sam Gray plays as a small forward at AFL level but plays as a mid at SANFL level. Gray will never play as a mid at AFL level so I think his best chance of playing AFL is as a small forward so he should be playing that role at SANFL level. His spot is not safe either.

Lastly for luxury reasons another developing KPD would be nice.

As for KPF's I think we are fine here and it's unlikely Shaw and Harvey will overtake Butcher this year so delisting Butcher would be a mistake IMO. I hope it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back