Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not about them changing their stroke, it's about distraction.

You are suggesting even more technology creep. The umpires will become glorifed sweater holders at that rate.
Distraction didn't cause Voges to leave that ball today (and I don't think the no ball call did either tbh).

I'm suggesting that umpires call the no ball after it is bowled, as it removes the distraction and IF a wicket is taken, the correct call can be made.

Umpires rarely make the tough call to no ball someone as it is, and this is only going to vindicate that indecision they have.

The third umpire checking every delivery for a no ball simply isn't practical as it would take way too long.

Leave it with the onfield umps, just change it so they make the call after the ball as be played.

You then need to decide if a free hit is required to accommodate any potential loss of the batsmen having free whack. Part of me likes the free hit, part of me doesn't for test cricket.
Not sure why. Put a time limit on it.

Or make it that he gets to watch in real time plus one replay.

A way could be found.

Make them a 4 run penalty or something.
Yes, funny you mention that.

I was thinking what if a no-ball was a 5 run penalty? You wouldn't see too many of them then.

The bowlers with a problem might actually get serious about addressing the issue.

Exactly.
Free hits belong in the short format of the game.
I'm not sure.

I am as traditional as they come, but the inability of allegedly professional cricketers not to bowl no-balls irks me big time.

Maybe if they were up to being slogged for 4 or 6 next ball they might actually change their ways.

I was thinking what if a no-ball was a 5 run penalty? You wouldn't see too many of them then.

The bowlers with a problem might actually get serious about addressing the issue.

Still seems nuts with the umps (nearly)always checking on a wicket that our lot don't work on it, was watching the 2011/12 series vs india not long ago and we had multiple bowlers take wickets on no balls and years later they were still right on the line.

Only one with an issue that actually seemed to work on it was harris, ones like siddle johnson ect never really made any improvements, can see starc and patto being the same their whole careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty amazing that an umpire actually called the no ball in the first place. Pretty rare these days.

Siddle and bird got done for a fair few today as well, maybe the ICC had a go at the umps recently as we had the opposite issue with replays showing multiple no balls in test weren't being called on field.

Guess they can't have it both ways, if the umps are expected to always make their call on field then mistakes will be made, who knows how many they actually screwed up in years gone by when the tv stations didn't always go looking for it, pretty sure that warne one vs nz when he was on 99 wasn't even found until years later.

Siddle and bird got done for a fair few today as well, maybe the ICC had a go at the umps recently as we had the opposite issue with replays showing multiple no balls in test weren't being called on field.

Didn't realize that about Siddle and Bird. Followed the days play on cricinfo, so must have missed those.

I consider myself a traditionalist.

However I don't think free hits are a bad thing for tests - keep your bloody foot behind the line. Infuriates me.

I'm also a champion of using Zing bails in tests. Not only is it highly functional for the game, it is superb for spectators, particular those who sit square on to the wicket

You feel the same about a mankad? Just stay in your bloody crease it infuriates me.

Bowlers have tried and tried to address the issue since the game started, the pitch is 22 yards and that is what the bowler wants to bowl on. He doesn't want to bowl on an extra few inches. It only takes over striding in one of your strides in your run up and you are over. It just is not as simple as it looks. They will always push the envelope.
I rarely bowled a no ball in a game but for some reason with same run up at training I consistently bowled no balls. This is very common. The penalty is fine. An extra ball and a run.
I don't know what the average number of no balls bowled in a days test cricket is. 540 balls are bowled in a day. If the average is 5 then that is pretty low when you consider every bowler is pressing the line every ball.

Aussies have just implemented technology at training to judge a no ball.

Presently is it bulky and not fit for a game, but it isn't unrealistic to think it could be used into the future. Similar to how it is used in tennis for serves.

But with tennis, you only have to deal with one player flirting with the line. With cricket, you have the bowler and the non-striking batsman. Would they have the mechanism split in 2, so it's only the bowlers half of the crease line that is "active" or just check to see which player is causing the detection?

Correct call...Under the rules and in fairness

Any anger should be directed at the central umpire

Correct call...Under the rules and in fairness

Any anger should be directed at the central umpire

well there was no call made, no question asked at all.
The ump as you said made a huge mistake and should be given a few tests off for his display.
Voges was bowled by a legal delivery and is not out. There is nothing fair or good that has come out of this.

Back