Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...sition-at-etihad-stadium-20150317-1m1ot7.html

A 15-second shot clock for players taking set shots at goal will begin to appear on the scoreboard from the point at which at which umpires tell the player that they have 15 seconds to kick before play on is called.

Laughable. Taking the whole 15 seconds never happens, so utterly irrelevant.

a countdown clock with the time until the commencement of a new quarter will also appear on the scoreboard.

I really like this - gives you a chance to know how long you've got left to grab your beer, chips, loo break or whatever.

Meanwhile the stadium's PA system will also be used to assist umpires in relaying of free kick explanations to the crowd, with scoreboard operators to have access to the umpire's communication systems at such times.

Somewhat positive, if only to mitigate the loud mouthed moron Bombers supporter who doesn't understand "incorrect disposal" and spends the next two quarters complaining about how you need to wrap your arms around someone to tackle them.

Umpire communications during score reviews will also be fed to the crowd.

Can't see anything good coming of this, just more booing of the umpires.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...sition-at-etihad-stadium-20150317-1m1ot7.html
1.Laughable. Taking the whole 15 seconds never happens, so utterly irrelevant.
2.I really like this - gives you a chance to know how long you've got left to grab your beer, chips, loo break or whatever.
3.Somewhat positive, if only to mitigate the loud mouthed moron Bombers supporter who doesn't understand "incorrect disposal" and spends the next two quarters complaining about how you need to wrap your arms around someone to tackle them.
4.Can't see anything good coming of this, just more booing of the umpires.
1. The count down should start from when the mark is awarded, might catch out a few dawdlers like Saad.
2. Unless you get up & out straight away (in which case you won't see the clock) you don't have enough time anymore.
3. I reckon the AFL will can this when a few umpires are exposed as paying free kicks for the wrong thing.
4. See point 3.
;)

The thing that worries me the most about how the game is being run is the fear that they want to make the game more like American sports. As a person who does not enjoy watching any American sport I don't see the attraction. The game needs to stay unique even if it seems counter intuitive to most people.

#2: You need to come to GWS home games more often. ;) Sure, there might be bugger all people but the queues are shorter!
Last week I was coming back from Sydney and a guy in GWS shirt sat next to me on the flight.

I said "You must be a rare breed, I didnt think they had any supporters"

Him"Nah I dont really follow them, but it was going cheap marked down from $80 to $10"

The thing that worries me the most about how the game is being run is the fear that they want to make the game more like American sports. As a person who does not enjoy watching any American sport I don't see the attraction. The game needs to stay unique even if it seems counter intuitive to most people.
I hear Bruce McAvaney is desperate for the AFL to introduce 'special teams'.

I know they are all young and relatively unproven and a lot can change over the next few years, however, I genuinely think the Bulldogs have 4 elite youngsters who are going to grow and become A grade players and drag the Bulldogs back to the top of the ladder. Tom Boyd, Marcus Bontempelli, Jake Stringer and Jackson Macrae. They have the gun key forward in Boyd, the consistent midfielder in Macrae and 2 players with a huge amount of X-Factor in Stringer and Bontempelli.

Obviously it could go the other way and they could all turn out to be busts but I think they all have huge amount of potential and I don't think there is another team in the comp that has so many youngsters with elite potential.

I know they are all young and relatively unproven and a lot can change over the next few years, however, I genuinely think the Bulldogs have 4 elite youngsters who are going to grow and become A grade players and drag the Bulldogs back to the top of the ladder. Tom Boyd, Marcus Bontempelli, Jake Stringer and Jackson Macrae. They have the gun key forward in Boyd, the consistent midfielder in Macrae and 2 players with a huge amount of X-Factor in Stringer and Bontempelli.

Obviously it could go the other way and they could all turn out to be busts but I think they all have huge amount of potential and I don't think there is another team in the comp that has so many youngsters with elite potential.
Macrae is already a gun and Bontempelli could be anything, he has all of the amazing skills of Jared Brennan but seems more consistent even at this early stage.

Last edited:

GWS for mine. Shiel, Treloar, Cameron, Smith, Whitfield, Kelly, Coniglio. And Patton has shown more than Boyd.

GWS for mine. Shiel, Treloar, Cameron, Smith, Whitfield, Kelly, Coniglio. And Patton has shown more than Boyd.
Ah yeah but can we really count the young talent of the expansion teams? They are both overflowing with young talent due to all the concessions. Out of the 16 clubs that were competing before GC and GWS arrived I would say the Bulldogs have the highest about of "elite youngsters". I do agree with you tough, GWS definitely have the most impressive young talent.

Ah yeah but can we really count the young talent of the expansion teams? They are both overflowing with young talent due to all the concessions. Out of the 16 clubs that were competing before GC and GWS arrived I would say the Bulldogs have the highest about of "elite youngsters". I do agree with you tough, GWS definitely have the most impressive young talent.
I agree with the potential of the doggies but also think they are in for a really bad year. The losses of so many senior players will such an experience hole in their lineup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with the potential of the doggies but also think they are in for a really bad year. The losses of so many senior players will such an experience hole in their lineup.
But they needed to put a broom through that club, there have been issues with the players running things going back to West and Grant.

That's not the problem, though. Their list is full of holes, and they aren't doing much to fill them.

That's not the problem, though. Their list is full of holes, and they aren't doing much to fill them.
Way to misinterpret my post. I wasn't identifying any problems in the Bulldogs list if you didn't notice. I was merely admiring their young talent. I understand that as a team as a whole they are still a long way off developing into a powerhouse and I have them finishing bottom 3 this year with their losses of experienced talent. I do think, however, that they have 4 young players who have the potential to grow into elite players and that was the extent of what I was trying to say in my post.

7JRzPcZ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back