Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the problem, there's almost no room for a moderate middle ground discussion on this - its been hijacked by extremes.

But we don't actually need a discussion. We just need the booing to bloody well stop.

What is there to even talk about? It's just a pack of dickheads hooting like animals. Who cares what motivates these supposed people?

<Flame suit>
I must admit I have booed Adam Goodes at games, not the last game against the lions but at other games, only after he did a cheap shot at one of our players or went for one of his many dives for a free kick (TBH I really don't care for how he plays), but I do this to ALL opposition players that do the same. Sometimes I continue to boo the same player for the rest of the game depending on what he did. All is forgiven at the end of the game and I see this as part of the cheering and baracking that the home supporters do, and would hate see this disappear from the game. Its why we attend games to support our team.

In saying that some players I never forgave after a game for doing a dog act and continued to boo in subsequent games, these players include Tony Liberatore for scratching/gouging Craig McRae, and Chris Judd for his "pressure points" on Michael Rischitelli.
</Flame Suit>

I do find it disgusting that people are booing Adam Goodes if it is based on race.

At the last Sydney game I did notice a bit of booing and to be honest I did not know why he was being booed. I don't follow the game that much these days, only watch games involving the Lions, as I now have a wife that doesn't really care for any sport, I don't really care for the way the game is currently played (and officiated) as it is a bit of turn off for me, and I feel that the competition is basically the haves and havenots (feeder clubs like ours). The only AFL related news I see these days are about 2 minutes (a week) on the ABC news (basically just the scores, and they haven't mentioned the booing until recently) and in the lions sub forum. In saying that, part of me was tempted to join in with the booing as others in the crowd started to boo (sheep culture) and I basically thought that he must of done something at the other end of the ground, but since I didn't see him do anything wrong I didn't.

Anyway, certain players I believe will always get booed because of the way they play this includes the "great players" as they do tend to push the limits of the rules a bit, and good on them. As all sports need heros and villians to cheer and boo as it gives the game atmosphere, I guess I watched to much WWF and Roller Derby in my youth.

For the record I have not and will not ever boo Adam Goodes.

Now that we have cleared up, that was actually my point. Lets stop generalizing this whole debate and lumping huge groupings of topics and issues into one argument. Labelling anyone who boo's as a racist is as ridiculous as suggesting all Muslims are terrorists.

And if you read my post, I agree whole heartedly that no matter how this started out, it's progressed past any sense of gamesmanship or humour - it's now hurtful and inflicting pain. I have ZERO problem with it being stopped.

Again, I don't condone her actions in anyway shape or form, something I also said in my post. And the fact that she was 13 should make no difference. But it does. She was a child. A clearly poorly raised and one with little example set by her parents and peers. She is a product of her upbringing and those around her that she is influenced by.

To expect a 13 year old child to be able to distinguish the extent of right or wrong in a topic as heated and complex as racism as you can see from this whole debate is asking a hell of a lot, especially when those who have raised her are no better. She was vilified and crucified, tried and penalized as an adult.

Goodes actions on the field that night were justified no question. But he made no attempt to hose down the sh*tstorm that unfolded afterwards. Fine. Make a point. Use the situation to educate and show just how influenced children can be. But as an adult, in a powerful position with the media, it could be argued his discretion and understanding was either lacking or he was happy for the story to be spun and blown up for days instead of being shut down.

No one got out of that situation unscathed. But there was only one adult, with a full comprehension of the whole situation once it blew up who could have made it less about a 13 year old and more about the issue of racism itself.

So what responsibilities have I neglected again? What consequences have I excused myself from? I go to the football and yell and scream and cheer and clap like everyone else and suddenly I have abrogated my responsibilites as an adult? I have never been at any football game (bar the 2002 grandfinal where I pulled a Collingwood supporter off a Lions supporter when he started a brawl) where somehow I've ever felt the need to become a social policeman.

Let me say it again. I've never booed Adam Goodes. In fact I've never been to a game Adam Goodes has played in. Nor do I abuse or insult any player of any team - mine or otherwise. And I would most certainly not boo or otherwise anyone if I thought it was based on anything other than simple gamesmanship of a footy game. Any sort of personal insult, abuse or vilification does not sit with me one bit. Ever.

And again, I said that this whole situation has moved on well past Goodes as a player, and it needs to stop. I stand by the fact I don't like him a player. As others don't. How or exactly why this has progressed so far I cant explain. I could care less about his ethnicity or aboriginality in the same way I can say that about Bundy, or Nic Nat or Rance or Hanley or Silvagni. My opinion of people is based on who they are as people nothing more or less.

As for his dance... it meant something to him, he felt the need to do it, fine. Aker did handstands. I understand some don't like political statements at a footygame - I'm not sure I do either - its supposed to be an escape for a while. But either way it certainly wasn't enough to get all hot under the collar about.

Wow Tairy.

That's the one line in this whole debate, which I actually enjoy having, because it's always good to be reminded others see things differently to you and that being open to perspectives and ideas is important, that REALLY REALLY p*ssed me off.

You don't know me. We've never met. Don't presume you know anything about me or my values. In my posting here, and as a moderator of another website of a minority group in society, I have never persecuted, abused, vilified or insulted anyone, just as I try very very very hard to do the same in the real world. I don't appreciate the implication, especially when it could not be further from the truth.

We may not agree on every aspect of this debate (although I struggle to see much difference to be honest), but that cheap, unjustified, generalisation is proof of exactly my point of the first post.

The extremes of this debate lumping anyone who dares question or see answers in a different way, as either a racist biggot or a left swinging socialite, serves no one.

That one line being 'I'm not a racist but...'. I don't blame you notliondown for being offended. I think you were out of order, Tairy. Feel free to pass your uninformed opinion on my character, too.

Every ill-informed idiot is jumping on this like it is a racism issue.

The bloke is a serial sniper and whinger. Has been for years. People boo players like him. Remember Milne?

This is a game of pure pressure.You can defend against the best teams if you are there to nail the bloke that receives the footy.Probably,Brisbane is a team that seems to not run and apply pressure hard enough.

I don't know whether the boo is racist or not. It's too difficult.

What I do know and what I have been very frustrated by is the lack if IQ and intelligent debate going on. Some of the counter arguments and the blatant twisting of facts have been simply mind boggling and very annoying.

Also the complete and utter misrepresentation of his views is also very frustrating - he did support the young girl, he never said he doesent support Australia Day, he never called it invasion day, he did NOTHING at all to disrespect Australia Day? Nothing! He, simply raised the plight of his people. he has actually been fairly middle of the road in advocating the plight of his people, as shown on the project tonight.

A few of the counter arguments are I can't stand -

"There are lots of indigenous players and they don't get boo'd"

Yes - because generally they don't choose to speak out. They are a nice neat little package that don't challange us, and we can all digest nicely, the issue and the booing surrounding goodes is because he advocates his people, hence the potential of racism on display .

"Jobe gets boo'd every week he doesent complain"

He admitted on national television to taking a substance that at the time, wasn't known to be legal or not and the booing lasted 3-4 weeks, and he is currently having time off in England

"We boo because we don't like politics and social issues to invade footy, it's an escape"

Massive lol's - every week there is a different cause or issue being highlighted or supported as long as it's not our indigenous whingers!

"The umps have been boo'd for 150 years they don't pull the race card"

Yes - because they are officiating the game, and they are all generally white, in front of predominantly white crowds

"We all boo Indian cricketers during a summer of cricket and they don't call it racism"

Yes it is not one person, being boo'd by every opposition supporter from various opposition, on an ongoing basis, if the Indian cricket team where boo'd by every opposition everywhere they went, it would be called racism

"He always pulls the race card and he is a sook"

If you actually look back at what he has said over the years, it's very mild.

Tonight mark McClure said all smarmy after a rough incident with Rioli "oh and hear that the crowd is booing.. You hear that?"

My god McClure what is your point? Yes booing is a great part of the game, no one said it wasn't!

The arguments coming from the 'boo'ers' is just so confused and out of touch, it honestly makes me concerned we have failed in the sensible education of a couple of generations of Australians.

The latest thing is the 'ape' comment was not racist, it was because he is hairy! Omg.

Mark Roo in his article saying how much he loves him but he should have done his celebration before the game in a controlled environment.. Is.... Racism. "Excuse me indigenous sir, if you want to express your self in a way that might offend or is a bit confronting for us white folk, can you please give is warning and make sure we approve the way you do it, you don't want to make us angry" - Mark Roos article reeked of systemic, ingrained racism.

This whole thing, not even the actual boo'ing has made me very sad for our country, we are still in the dark ages. It's actually scary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EDTV is some very entertaining stuff.

Good fun, even if I hate Collingwood, I'm very jealous they have their own commentary team.

Would make watching the footy a lot more enjoyable then the dreadful commentary teams on show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back