Official 2013 pre-season chat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Getting started a bit early I realize, but thought I would kick it off with one of the videos that GCFC released.

Andrew Weller did a quick run through on what the boys will be going through in Arizona. Essentially they will be there for a similar sort of time, but the work will be ramped up since they're older/fitter now.

They're also hoping that 90-95% of the list will be able to do the camp. Most of the guys who have had surgery are in there mid-late stages of recovery, leaving them set to handle the start of pre-season.

This win should give the playing group a huge boost of confidence going into this pre-season.
The 3rd pre-season for most the boys, return of our best defender in Bock (plus a range of other key players) and inject some new high end draft talent into the team (including O'Meara) and BRING ON 2013!:thumbsu:

Id set a pass mark at 6 wins next season. Need to start climbing that ladder! Giants, Bulldogs, Demons, Port are all average units and are beatable among others.

Id set a pass mark at 6 wins next season. Need to start climbing that ladder! Giants, Bulldogs, Demons, Port are all average units and are beatable among others.

Plus we're undefeated against Richmond, you can pencil that one in.

Hopefully we can get a win against the above teams, and plus one against Brisbane somewhere.

McKenzie won't be having any post-season surgeries! He should be able to do the whole pre-season this year. Hope he comes out firing in 2013. If he can average somewhere between 20-25 touches, he'll be a real weapon for us.

He CAN be, doesn't mean he WILL be. I want him to turn into a half back flanker, ala Heath Shaw, Harbrow etc... take the game on, use his pace to burn people and his big boot.

I've said it numerous times but when he has the time and space he stops and kicks around his body on the "T-Mac" arc and hooks it way too often to be damaging.

Projected Round 1 team 2013:

Tape Warnock McKenzie
Harbrow Bock May
Bennell Prestia Shaw
Stanley Tippett Ablett
Matera Lynch Day

Smith Swallow Caddy

Dixon Hunt O'Meara Rischitelli

Next in line: Thompson, Brennan, Brown, Russell, Taylor, Wilkinson, Hall, Hickey, Sexton, Patrick, Horsely.

*Assuming if Tippett comes, Gorro is the bait.

Really like this best 22 though and the mentioned depth. Your thoughts?

Not a bad list. Though you've got some people playing out of position? Lynch will never be a FF. I also really, really like Stanley in defence. Granted, I like him everywhere he plays on the field.

I would probably go...

FB: Shaw, Warnock, Stanley
HB: Harbrow, Bock, McKenzie
C: Bennell, Prestia, O'Meara
HF: A.Hall, Lynch, Ablett
FF: Gorringe/Tippett, Day, Matera

Fol: Smith, Swallow, Caddy

Int: Tape, Dixon, Rischitelli, Hunt

Also to note we could be injecting a pick #2 player in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't expect O'meara to slide straight into the midfield. I think he will start on a HBF or HFF just until he adapts to the pace of the game. In saying that, watching him in NEAFL, I don't think it will take him long to adapt!

Could be a tight contest to see who starts favourite for the NAB Rising Star between Jaeger and Lachy!

From SEN website http://www.sen.com.au/display-article/Gold-Coast-to-begin-pruning-list/48463

Gold Coast to begin pruning list.

Gold Coast's late-season surge has created a welcome dilemma for coach Guy McKenna as he grapples with task of cutting seven names from a Suns list overflowing with talent.

With 46 senior players on their books for 2012, the expansion side must trim down to 42 in time for next season while also making way for the minimum three new draftees.

Tape Warnock McKenzie
Harbrow Bock May
Bennell Prestia Shaw
Stanley Tippett Ablett
Matera Lynch Day

Smith Swallow Caddy

Next in line: Thompson, Brennan, Brown, Russell, Taylor, Wilkinson, Hall, Hickey, Sexton, Patrick, Horsely.

Do you really think Tape will be ready for Round one coming off a full knee reco?

Do you really think Tape will be ready for Round one coming off a full knee reco?

Probably a fair call, also I wonder how Bocky comes back after his broken leg? Hopefully recovers well. Rightfully so Tape should come back through the 2's and get some confidence in his knee for a few weeks

Jaeger for nab rising star could be a good bet. Only issue is he may not play all 22 games given the clubs history with first year players.

Tape Warnock McKenzie
Harbrow Bock May
Bennell Prestia Shaw
Stanley Tippett Ablett
Matera Lynch Day

Smith Swallow Caddy

Isn't Wilkinson out of contract...does anyone know what is happening with him. He would be a better backline option than McKenzie and Allen could get a better run next year.

Isn't Wilkinson out of contract...does anyone know what is happening with him. He would be a better backline option than McKenzie and Allen could get a better run next year.

Wilko will be a long term sun but yet to lock down a best 22 spot. Will definetly get games though off half back or as a tagger.

If any of the rumoured departures happen that round 1 team could lose a couple.......:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back