Overrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

John Kennedy Snr.'s "Don't think, do!" speech.

For the amount of times it gets spoken about and reprised, you'd think it inspired some great victory after the words were spoken at half time of the 1975 VFL Grand Final, when it actually did the opposite, and the game degenerated into a heavy loss for Hawthorn. North Melbourne came out and slammed on 7.2 to 2.6 against Kennedy's Hawks in the final term, to win by 55 points.
This is just about the most inspirational thing I've ever seen.

This is just about the most inspirational thing I've ever seen.

:rolleyes:

Always find those great speeches to sound contrived and cheesy, especially when re-told like that.

Genuinely found some of that Tommy Hafey work that got played during the Brownlow Medal telecast to be quite meathead and pretty cringeworthy.

I guess this kind of stuff just doesn't get me going like it does other people.

I tend to agree when they are replayed. I;ve heard some great rousing speeches from coaches over the years which did the trick.

I'm sure in the moment they have the desired affect, but just hearing them replayed out of context when you're sitting on your couch not heading into a footy game, they seem kind of laughable.

Always find those great speeches to sound contrived and cheesy, especially when re-told like that.

Genuinely found some of that Tommy Hafey work that got played during the Brownlow Medal telecast to be quite meathead and pretty cringeworthy.

Hafey's stuff was too footy orientated to be "inspirational". Jeans's speech is good stuff though, even if it didn't work out.

Football is such a diverse game, you aren't going to get many inspirational speeches, you can't give the players a Hollywood style gee-up, you actually need to spend time discussing the game plan and tactics.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

More than two blades on a razor. I bought a pack of Schick Exacta 2 on my weekend at Phillip Island, out of convenience. I dreaded shaving before, and would put off doing it as long as I could (using a Mach 3, then the cheapo 6 blade safeway/woolworths brand) I feel like a free man now! Can't wait to shave again on friday!

Last edited:
More than two blades on a razor. I bought a pack of Schick Exacta 2 on my weekend at Phillip Island, out of convenience. I dreaded shaving before, and would put off doing it as long as I could (using a Mach 3, then the cheapo 6 blade safeway/woolworths brand) I feel like a free man now! Can't wait to shave again on friday!

I don't bother with razors anymore, clippers all the way.

It's proven their effect on GenX and GenY is negligible. Modern generations respond to different stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people's views on clubbing?
My teachers all wore casual clothing, that some chose to wear socks and sandals is the tragic part.
Some of Gough's teachers should have been clubbed.
I'm a non-violent kind of person, with less fashion sense than the 1970s, but

"sock/sandal combinations"
paddling+blackadder.jpg

Corporate Boxes at football games. Give me a seat surrounded by a group of passionate supporters any day of the week. Free food and drinks as well as a slightly better view just doesn't make up for it. Always feel as though I'm missing out whenever I'm in one. Probably just me though. Everyone else seems to love them.

- Themed text/call sounds. No, it's not funny that there's an extended dialogue from the Simpsons or Family guy as your message tone. Or some unknown helium-sucking frog that rasps on and on about you having a message. No, it's not funny. Please stop staring vacantly into your iTunes thinking about the next one you might get, because nobody is impressed.

- The 'new' any type of phone. I've yet to have anyone to explain to me why they need the new Samsung, but they just need it. And watch their attention waver almost immediately if you start asking questions about why one is better than the other. People usually get agitated when you ask them to provide details on the way they don't know why they need their new phone, they will either change the subject, or sfellow smugly because you are not 'up with it', but yet provide NOTHING of any substance to support their cause. The onus is on you, the non-smart-phone enjoyer, to provide a sound argument for why you do not need one. And this is rubbish.

- Activities whilst intoxicated. Oh wow, you altered your state for a night and climbed a fence and lost a shoe and threw an orange at a bouncer, and then vomited in a taxi. You must be proud. While I read the status updates about your adventures, and see the numerous selfies you've taken, I reflect on my own life and wonder why I'm so boring. I wish I could be exciting like you.

- Gourmet meals. Look mate, just because you've assembled small piles of Saffron infused Moreton Bay Bug flavoured French truffles into small arcs, and then rustically (accidentally) drizzled (spilt) crushed pinenut and whiskey jus over the top, does not mean it is nice to eat. It is just pretentious crap.
And who gives a f***** f*** what spoon I eat things with? It's like the end of the world if I eat soup with a dessert spoon. But why? It's a bit of metal, either way. Get over yourself.

- DVDs. I'm at the good bit, the bit I've waited two hours for. Oh wait, it's skipping. It's blocky. We've come soooo far, I'm so glad the picture was so clear up until now. Because that's made up for the fact that I missed the climax.
Insert perfectly good dvd into brand new dvd player. 'No disc'. Never ****** happened with VHS.

Corporate Boxes at football games. Give me a seat surrounded by a group of passionate supporters any day of the week. Free food and drinks as well as a slightly better view just doesn't make up for it. Always feel as though I'm missing out whenever I'm in one. Probably just me though. Everyone else seems to love them.

I prefer to sit in the cheap seats behind the goals with the passionate yobbo supporters where you can have a drink and make a clown of yourself.

You don't have much choice when you're an opposition supporter at Subi Oval though, they put us all down in the cheap seats behind the goals.

You don't have a great view but you have a great time with fellow supporters and make a shitload of noise.

I prefer to sit in the cheap seats behind the goals with the passionate yobbo supporters where you can have a drink and make a clown of yourself.

You don't have much choice when you're an opposition supporter at Subi Oval though, they put us all down in the cheap seats behind the goals.

You don't have a great view but you have a great time with fellow supporters and make a shitload of noise.

I am one of the very few ppl that prefer behind the goals/anywhere in the 50M arc >>>> wing.

Suits me fine, cause they're cheaper esp during finals. :)

- Themed text/call sounds. No, it's not funny that there's an extended dialogue from the Simpsons or Family guy as your message tone. Or some unknown helium-sucking frog that rasps on and on about you having a message. No, it's not funny. Please stop staring vacantly into your iTunes thinking about the next one you might get, because nobody is impressed.

- The 'new' any type of phone. I've yet to have anyone to explain to me why they need the new Samsung, but they just need it. And watch their attention waver almost immediately if you start asking questions about why one is better than the other. People usually get agitated when you ask them to provide details on the way they don't know why they need their new phone, they will either change the subject, or sfellow smugly because you are not 'up with it', but yet provide NOTHING of any substance to support their cause. The onus is on you, the non-smart-phone enjoyer, to provide a sound argument for why you do not need one. And this is rubbish.

- Activities whilst intoxicated. Oh wow, you altered your state for a night and climbed a fence and lost a shoe and threw an orange at a bouncer, and then vomited in a taxi. You must be proud. While I read the status updates about your adventures, and see the numerous selfies you've taken, I reflect on my own life and wonder why I'm so boring. I wish I could be exciting like you.

- Gourmet meals. Look mate, just because you've assembled small piles of Saffron infused Moreton Bay Bug flavoured French truffles into small arcs, and then rustically (accidentally) drizzled (spilt) crushed pinenut and whiskey jus over the top, does not mean it is nice to eat. It is just pretentious crap.
And who gives a f***** f*** what spoon I eat things with? It's like the end of the world if I eat soup with a dessert spoon. But why? It's a bit of metal, either way. Get over yourself.

- DVDs. I'm at the good bit, the bit I've waited two hours for. Oh wait, it's skipping. It's blocky. We've come soooo far, I'm so glad the picture was so clear up until now. Because that's made up for the fact that I missed the climax.
Insert perfectly good dvd into brand new dvd player. 'No disc'. Never ****** happened with VHS.
Things that s**t me thread?

I am one of the very few ppl that prefer behind the goals/anywhere in the 50M arc >>>> wing.

Suits me fine, cause they're cheaper esp during finals. :)
My reserved seat is behind the goals, much prefer there than on the wing.

Don't you like strippers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back