News PAFC & CHINA - The Celestial Frontier

Remove this Banner Ad

BulTbaKCYAEcLMg.jpg

Lockhart Road you'll be pleased to know that as Team China walked around the bowels of Adelaide Oval at half time a little congregation of BigFooty posters gave them a standing ovation (ok we might have been standing anyway). They looked genuinely chuffed or whatever the Chinese equivalent of chuffed is. ;)

I've been a bit behind on the news but glimpsed this on the nightly news a few nights ago.

Bit of context: I spent quite a bit of time in China in the middle and north, Zheng Zhou and Dalian. Could not find a single reference to AFL anywhere so I reverted to Soccer. Unbeknownst to me, there was and is a huge amateur AFL scene in the South of China, inc. Hong Kong.

Moved to Vietnam then found the Vietnam Swans and finally kicked a footy for the first time in 2 years. Then I found out about the massive AFL scene throughout South East Asia comprised of mostly expats. This weekend actually is the Indochina Cup; http://www.afl-asia.com/welcome-to-the-2014-indochina-cup-and-the-official-prospectus/
Clubs over there are very inclusive and anyone can come along and train and play local scratchies. Great alternative to the gym for anyone travelling through South East Asia. It's very easy going, but tournaments are rough and played like amateur league Grand Finals.

Anyways, I don't know much about this China team. One player on the news seemed to be an Aussie-Chinese expat, or had picked up the lingo extremely well. But otherwise, I would say they are all nationals and would be ecstatic to play in the current tournament. Haven't looked at the match times yet but might head down to Melbourne to catch a few games.

I'd encourage anyone to catch a few games if you can.

Edit: There are plans to have an all-stars team comprised of nationals from South East Asian states to play in the 2017 AFL International Cup. I can't really say they'll do well as many probably won't meet their team mates until the actual tournament, but great idea for those states that can't sign up a team of all nationals.

Haha, big Canadian ruckman took the ball out of the ruck, got tackled and got pinged.
Canadian on the bench: WHERE'S HIS PRIOR?!!!

Chinese getting smashed. Canadians too good on the ground, in the air and strength-wise.

Haha and just as I post, a Canadian yells at the ump to learn the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2487553/chinas-ballarat-homecoming-in-afl-international-cup/

CHINA is treating its AFL International Cup assignment in Ballarat on Saturday as an historic homecoming.

"Ballarat is the spiritual home for many Chinese in Australia," China's playing coach Jiaming Pi told The Courier.

"I've drilled into the guys the significance of visiting Ballarat."

Chinese had a significant part in the settlement of Ballarat, with many arriving on the goldfields in 1854 in search of their fortune.

For a couple of years the Chinese made up as much as one third of Ballarat's population.

Pi said as the first AFL team from China to play in Australia, this visit had been 150 years in the making.

China plays Finland in the third round of the International Cup as a curtain-raiser to the VFL encounter between North Ballarat and Williamstown at Eureka Stadium at 11.10am.

Williamstown and AFL team Port Adelaide are sponsoring China's visit to Australia.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2487553/chinas-ballarat-homecoming-in-afl-international-cup/

150 years ago, the Chinese brought the favourite Aussie phrase fair dinkum to our vernacular. In Cantonese, 'ding gum' means 'real gold'. Apologies if I've already mentioned that elsewhere.

The Chinese Power Dragons scored their first victory at the 2014 International Cup. First quarter looked like a spectator's delight. Have no idea what the weather, rain and mud factor were like.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-16/round-3-results

China 0.0 0.1 2.5 3.8 (26)

Finland 0.0 1.0 2.0 3.4 (22)

Goals

China: Peng Gao, Chen Shaoliang, Pi Jiaming

Finland: Lampi 2, Lofbacka

Best

China: Chen Shaoliang. Deng Mingjie,Zefan Zhang, Chen Zhushen, Liu Kunsong, Yu Enda

Finland: Lampi, Puntila, Lofbacka, Karlsson, Nurmikoski, Muhonen

Last edited:
Just had the following 'match report' from the Team China coach, Jaime Pi :

First time for China to beat a team outside of Asia. The guys overcame a sluggish start and played to our game plan of spread and width, came away with a very close result. To be honest we had most of the play just couldn't convert and at the end panicked a little and gave away a lot of frees.

Great to get the win for not only the team but everyone involved in getting the team here.

Finland again in two days.

Edit: Change of schedule: Team China vs. Japan on Tuesday 19 Aug, and Sweden on Friday 22nd.

Last edited:
Our Chinese friends will be playing India for the wooden spoon on Friday in 17th v 18th clash. They played Japan on Tuesday and lost 2.5 to 5.4.

The highly consistent Papua New Guinea side have made their 5th consecutive International Cup GF having well beaten the highly fancied NZ side 12.3 to 4.4. Ireland beat South Africa 8.5 to 4.4. SAF beat PNG by 9 points in the round robin. Ireland made the GF in 2002 and 2011 and beat PNG in both those games and finished 4th in the other 2 tournaments. PNG, Ireland and NZ are the big 3 of this tournament since the first in 2002 - which makes sense, two are neighbours and the Irish play a game similar to Australian Football.

I have said it before but we should not only make NT part of our central corridor base but go up to PNG. They have been playing footy for over 70 years up there, Fos and co. served in PNG and there would be a few David Rodan - short arses but ball of muscle and possessing explosive speed. And they like playing rugby league up there so they learn hard tackling as well.

The GF is 4-50pm at the MCG on Saturday. Hopefully Fox Footy will have it live or on replay. See results at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Australian_Football_International_Cup

The PNG Mosquitoes played Ireland as a curtain raiser to the Hawthorn v Geelong and won by 3 points

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-23/png-revenge-with-nailbiting-win-over-ireland

IT WAS revenge of the sweetest kind.

After three years of stewing over their Grand Final loss to Ireland in the last International Cup in 2011, the Papua New Guinea Mosquitoes finally tasted the success they'd been so hungry for.

The Mosquitoes trailed to Ireland at every break, but grabbed the lead halfway through the final term, to clinch the 2014 International Cup title 6.9 (45) to 6.6 (42).

From the opening bounce it appeared as though the bigger-bodied Irish were going to push around the pint-sized Mosquitoes, but ultimately it was the pace, athleticism and raw talent of PNG that prevailed.

The odds were against PNG from the outset with their most important player and the tournament's leading goalkicker, Amua Pirika, restricted by a knee injury he sustained in the semi-final, which sidelined him in the second half.

In the dying minutes of the game, the crowd favourites surged forward, ruckman John Ikupu flew high to drag in a huge pack mark and kick a goal from the top of the goalsquare to give the Mosquitoes the lead for the first time.

Minutes later, tenacious midfielder Gideon Simon, who spent time on Richmond's rookie list, followed up with another goal to give PNG a nine-point lead, and the match.

Wild celebrations followed as the siren sounded. Water bottles were thrown high into the air and jumpers were ripped off as the PNG boys paraded around the MCG.

Ikupu was handed the Medal for best on ground with live-wire Brendan Beno unlucky to miss out after also playing a terrific match.

The match caps an action-packed 14 days of competition which saw 25 teams from 18 nations take-part in both men’s and women’s divisions.

Earlier on Saturday at Punt Road Oval, a crowd of around 300 fans witnessed Canada Northern Lights outclass Ireland to claim the women's title.

In a fiery and physical contest it was Canada which disposed of the Banshees 5.8 (38) to 2.0 (12).

Northern Lights skipper Aimee Louise Legault was the dominant player, awarded MVP honours after the game.

PNG: 1.2 3.4 3.8 6.9 (45)
Ireland: 3.2 3.4 4.5 6.6 (42)
GOALS
PNG:
Beno 2, Ikupu, Gideon, So-ong, Agita
Ireland: Finn 4, Henry, Lucey

BEST
PNG:
Ikupu, Beno, Simon, Guvuri, Peni
Ireland: Finn, Farrell, P. O’Halloran, O’Regan, Bartley

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-23/png-revenge-with-nailbiting-win-over-ireland

and

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-23/png-overpowers-ireland

After a slow start and with key men on the sidelines, they made all the running in the second half to claim a remarkable three-point victory.

Semi Final heroes Amua Pirika, the tournament’s leading goal kicker, and captain John James played almost no part in the upset win, which sees the Pacific Island nation claim it’s second International Cup.

In the moments that mattered though, their teammates stepped up to the plate.

Undersized against a giant Irish outfit, the Mosquitoes bore in and sprinted into the wide-open spaces to eventually haul in the Warriors.

Three points behind, after Irish skipper Mick Finn had slotted his fourth goal, PNG surged forward where ruckman John Ikupu leapt to drag in a huge pack mark and goal from the top of the goal square.

After competing against a trio of Irish giants all night in the centre square, the match-defining moment was just reward and deservedly delivered Ikupu the medal for best-on-ground.

Tenacious midfielder Gideon Simon, who spent time on Richmond’s rookie list, followed up with another goal a minute later to give PNG a nine-point lead.

Irish key forward Padraig Lucey dragged back the deficit with a mark and goal seconds before full time but it was too little too late.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-23/png-overpowers-ireland

Champs1.jpg

Many thanks indeed, REH.

Team China is today flying back on Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong ... having set something in motion over the past couple of weeks - not by what they did on the field but what they participated in off the field, set up by PAFC and Power Community Ltd. and the Williamstown VFL club who have supported teams from China in previous International Cups but who this time needed us to come in or there would've been no China team at IC14. PAFC and Williamstown have combined in a successful logistical partnership that may well lead down a track beneficial to both clubs in the future.

I get the feel that the highlights of the tour for the lads were leading the March from the Mall before the Sydney game, and the fantastic reception they received from the Port crowd when they went around the Oval at halftime; also of course winning a match for China for the first time outside their homeland.

We now have 25 young and enthusiastic 'AFL missionaries' winging back to South China to assist us spread the word, the code and the POWER moniker in Hong Kong and Guangdong Province ... just to start with.

They will be guests of honour on Grand Final Day at the Hong Kong Football Club, about which I'll be posting further as we get closer to the date.

Great tribute from Team China, great way to conclude this thread:

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-08-29/a-message-to-you-from-team-china

AFL football has been something new and exciting for these students, which they participate outside of their university life.

From touching down in Adelaide, the team has been overwhelmed by the passion you have for AFL football and your club.

We have seen first-hand what footy means to the community and the important role it plays in everyday life.

We have seen supporters line the street during the March to Adelaide Oval.

Then we saw the fanatical support you give to your club at the full-house Adelaide Oval - a loud and mind-blowing football ground that still makes the hair on the back of our necks stand up!

To walk around the stadium and receive ‘high fives’ from everyone in the march was simply incredible and when you consider that only two of our players had even been out of their home province in China, let alone to Australia and an AFL game, you can’t even imagine the impression you have made.

The team had the opportunity to have a kick with Port Adelaide players, and that experience was priceless.

We were in awe of the players and their professionalism and gained a glimpse of what it means to be elite.

Team China came to Australia having played on small rectangular grounds and watching a handful of games on computer screens, but they departed this great country having gained tremendous amount of experience, including seeing three live AFL games in packed stadiums and played five games of very competitive football against some of the best international teams.

Our players will take all of that back to China and ensure that AFL football, the Port Adelaide Football Club and its supporters are represented and talked about every chance they get!

On behalf of Team China, our players and officials, I sincerely thank you for the experience of a lifetime!

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-08-29/a-message-to-you-from-team-china

Winning hearts and minds LR. Maybe they ADF and the USDF needed to ask Peter Chant and his mates to help win hearts and minds like this - 45+ years ago.

On behalf of Team China, our players and officials, I sincerely thank you for the experience of a lifetime!

Team China would like to invite all of you to the 'Middle Kingdom' to show your club to more of China, to open up new fan bases and share this great game and your great club with China and 1.5 billion more!

What a great life time experience those young lads had. I think they are a fine example how a goodwill gesture by the club, means they will never be torn apart from our club.

Now this is growing the pie!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back