Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Clurey has had a solid season in the SANFL and seems AFL ready. I think he needs to be pushed at AFL to go the next step in his development.

He is back up for any injuries to our current backline but does anyone seem him forcing someone out?

He played through the midfield as a junior and has a solid tank - could he develop into a swingman? I have only seen a few SANFL games and his AFL debut, how do people rate his kick and mark?

Clurey has had a solid season in the SANFL and seems AFL ready. I think he needs to be pushed at AFL to go the next step in his development.

He is back up for any injuries to our current backline but does anyone seem him forcing someone out?

He played through the midfield as a junior and has a solid tank - could he develop into a swingman? I have only seen a few SANFL games and his AFL debut, how do people rate his kick and mark?
Not close to being AFL ready, from what I've seen. Can't see him playing more than a few games next year if there isn't significant improvement over the pre-season.

His kicking is usually atrocious at the start of games, and gets much better as the game progresses. Neutral on his marking game; not amazing, but not bad.

I think his key weapons are to rebound, and to run. I really see him as more of a third tall defender, rather than a true KPD.

Edit: As mentioned above, he was very good defensively on the weekend. Probably one of his better defensive games for the year.

Clurey strikes me as the key defender version of Pittard. Despite being nominally a defender, he plays a very attacking gamestyle. Would much prefer to try to mark an incoming ball than spoil it, and goes for the damaging pinpoint kick into the corridor rather than the easy sideways kick. Sometimes it comes off and looks fantastic, but when it backfires, it backfires horribly.

Clurey strikes me as the key defender version of Pittard. Despite being nominally a defender, he plays a very attacking gamestyle. Would much prefer to try to mark an incoming ball than spoil it, and goes for the damaging pinpoint kick into the corridor rather than the easy sideways kick. Sometimes it comes off and looks fantastic, but when it backfires, it backfires horribly.

Should try him as a KPF then. Better kick than Butcher?

Should try him as a KPF then. Better kick than Butcher?
He's a strong contested mark for a start. But so is Mason Shaw, and Shaw has a proven ability to kick goals accurately and from a decent distance.

Clurey has been thrown in the deep end this year ... a couple of horrible games but mainly a good development season. I reckon he is in front of Bobby at the same age.
He could be outstanding next year but where do Port slot him in ...?
It goes against my beliefs, but I think we should try and get some games into Clurey and Shaw even if it means not picking our best 22.

He's only 20yo and still filling out. He's a year younger than Hombsch and looked more solid as a key defender than Hombsch did at the same age. He hasn't had the luxury of being third tall defender, he's had to take on the opposition's best key forward every week and has been very solid defensively on the whole. He's continued an upward trajectory of improvement and should play some AFL next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still not too sure about Tom Clureys chances of making it to the next level, contrary to popular opinion he had quite a few Crockers of the Barry variety, particularly in the latter stages of the season.

He is a little too vanilla for me, a defender of his height and lack of pace needs a bit of X factor in his armory, so at the risk of upsetting the multitudes it won't surprise me at all if he is a player the club will look at trading.

Now that I have put my stones on the line, no doubt anothe poster will take great delight in telling me Tommy has just signed a 3 year deal of megabuck proportions. lol

He is a little too vanilla for me, a defender of his height and lack of pace needs a bit of X factor in his armory, so at the risk of upsetting the multitudes it won't surprise me at all if he is a player the club will look at trading.

'Vanilla' and 'lack of x factor' are odd criticisms for a centre half back.

I thought he had a very good game on Nick Riewoldt in the trial game at Alberton in March and I reckon that's why he played in the Rd 1 game against Carlton. Yes Carlile was injured but he deserved a spot in the 22 and thought he should have stayed in the side for the Showdown.

But the 3 games I saw him play live for the Maggies in the 2nd half of the season (before the GF) and the 3 or 4 on TV he seemed to go backwards. I think he had to play on the bigger older KPF's in the SANFL so that would have been a challenge, but I don't know if he has carried an injury or just lost confidence but as 1954 said he had a few shockers.

Last May when I went to the Club 1870 inner sanctum event I asked Alan Richardson about him and he said they were happy with how he was going. I said that all the U/18 video stuff I saw of him he reminded me a bit of Dustin Fletcher in that he is all arms and legs flying around when he goes for the ball. Richo said yes there is a bit of him. We were moved on to the next stage of the night so i didn't get to discuss him further with Richo. But maybe like Fletcher he wont ever be a KPD, but a useful tall back who can play on talls and smalls.

looking at the latest training pics of tommy, he is more than ready to go physically. He is a big strong man now with huge guns. So where does he fit in? he is 192cm, too small to be a modern day KPD. For those that have been too training and have seen what position he is training in, can you shed some light as to what type of player he has evolved into and where he fits into the scheme of things.

Last edited:
looking at the latest training pics of tommy, he is more than ready to go physically. He is a big strong man now with huge guns. So where does he fit in? he is 192cm, too small to be a modern day KPD. For those that have been too training and have seen what position he is training in, can you shed some light as to what type of player he has evolved into and where he fits into the scheme of things.

I may be a harsher critic than some ;) but I am still getting over Cluzza's absolute reaming at the bay oval last season by a bloke who is closer to 40 than 30.
Tommy lost his opponent numerous times in the first half of that game, and had to be moved off him just before halftime.
Interestingly his replacement ( Sid Masters ) then held the bloke virtually kickless for the rest of the game.

Agree re his lack of height, regular Alberton oval attendees would be very aware Cluzza often looks undersized ( heightwise ) even against sanfl opponents, he looks more like 188-189 than his recorded height, but he must be 192 because footy clubs never tell porkies. :)

I like the suggestion by Big Billy that he could be turned into a big bodied midfielder, he is a good kick and is also reasonably agile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back