Toast Pick 45 - Mitch Harvey

Remove this Banner Ad

So Mitch surprised us all this year and was significantly better and more consistent than anyone thought he would be. A year of rucking did him good. Now needs to learn that full forward role we need. Still needs a tank and this is the biggest thing holding him back

I need to think he will be a 2017 maybe 2016 proposition for debut. What do people think?
He came here, straight from Fat camp, with knocks on his fitness but after a year played out of position, has show ticker and a heart similar to Randal Gerlach. He will be FAR better for the years experience. 2015 preseason, if he burns up the track, anything is possible. I wouldn't write him off just yet as not debuting next year, but wouldn't be disappointed if he didn't either. Straight up, looks a player, someone we should emulate with later picks over the next few years, big footballers with questionable athletic prowess.

So Mitch surprised us all this year and was significantly better and more consistent than anyone thought he would be. A year of rucking did him good. Now needs to learn that full forward role we need. Still needs a tank and this is the biggest thing holding him back

I need to think he will be a 2017 maybe 2016 proposition for debut. What do people think?

2017 just for debut? Doubt it.
He looks like he's got the competitiveness down pat, just needs to build the tank so he can stay involved for longer. Wouldn't be totally surprised if we see him given a game or two next year, but he very much looks like he could be ready by 2016.

Like this guy given a good pre-season i think he could get a taste next year, a bit of puppy fat is not a bad thing on big young KPF already has the frame better than starting with a bean pole for a change.... get stuck into him Burgo.

Not really a surprise. He could have easily made the U18 all Australian team. From memory, played really well in three of the four games. When we picked him up, I thought it was a great choice. Given how late he was picked and the fact he is a BIG man, one is willing to be patient. He has come along at the better range of hopeful, but not a surprise. Could have been even more prominent if he had not been shifted to try and fill a hole in the ruck. If his tank is up to it, should get a few games in 2015.

People used to rave about Tom Hawkins upside when he first came on the scene but I could never see the fuss.It did take 3 or 4 years though and he is up and about as one of the games best power forwards

I saw Jackson Trengove running laps in his first preseason (08/09) and he looked stick skinny and half a decade away. He debuted 12 months later.

Harvey already has the frame and has Burgess working him hard. If his Magpies form is sound there's no reason why he won't be putting his name forward in 2015.

People used to rave about Tom Hawkins upside when he first came on the scene but I could never see the fuss.It did take 3 or 4 years though and he is up and about as one of the games best power forwards

Took until the last quarter of the 2011 GF until all that potential was fulfilled. Hasn't looked back since. But between his debut and that match - his 79th, he had some very good games and some absolute shockers.

Drafted 2006, 9 games in debut year in 2007, 10 in 2008, 24 out of 25 in 2009.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/T/Tom_Hawkins1.html

Took until the last quarter of the 2011 GF until all that potential was fulfilled. Hasn't looked back since. But between his debut and that match - his 79th, he had some very good games and some absolute shockers.

Drafted 2006, 9 games in debut year in 2007, 10 in 2008, 24 out of 25 in 2009.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/T/Tom_Hawkins1.html

Yeah his first handful of games were genuinely exciting. I seem to remember him getting a standing ovation very early on into his career at the MCG coming to the bench after kicking three or four. Got a lot tougher for him over the next few years, but eventually culminated in that 2011 finals series.

If we draft some Ruckmen, it'll free Harvey to develop his natural role as a full forward
Yes, but I'm taking the glass half full view regards having to ruck a lot this year. It's another chop out option for Lobbe or Ryder or whoever if we are screwed with injuries and down to one ruck again. And even if we aren't there are always a few stoppages each game where no rucks are in the vicinity and the closest KPP is contesting. I'd much rather it be one that has acquired some ruck skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back