Toast Pick 45 - Mitch Harvey

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing Harvey in the ruck whilst it has reduced his development time as a forward will have added a tougher edge to his game and increased his aerobic capacity running around the ground.

Will play AFL next year and provide ruck support.

So if 1 or 2 of Redden, Harvey, Shaw or Butcher can have decent years at AFL level next season, we will be a significantly better side.

1 will be enough. That's if Schulz, Westhoff, Lobbe, Trengove, Hombsch and Carlile are in the team as our KPP.

I'm hoping we can get Giles as a fwd ruck and Shaw can break into the team very soon with Schulz being 30 next season.

pretty sure after roughy's spell in the ruck with the hawks he became a more complete player around the ground. despite his injury set back. i hope to see mitch one day become a similar player.

I was also stoked when we picked Mitch up. Seems to be developing nicely. I struggle to see him as a full time ruck, but having someone who can ruck in the forward lines to help rest the full time ruck will be handy. Also handy if we lose a ruckman during the game or double team a dominating ruck. Harvey able to ruck in forward line and Trengove in back line will be a bonus.

Hopefully he gets some AFL time next year.

Thanks for all telling me Mitch is BOG. I do appreciate.

It is just that the PAFC website after the game did not list Harvey amongst the best, but I had heard he played his best game for us.

The website had the following details:
SCOREBOARD
PORT ADELAIDE 1.2 5.7 6.11 8.12 (60)
GLENELG 1.5 5.9 8.12 13.14 (92)

PORTADELAIDEFC.COM.AU'S BEST
Logan, Newton, Summerton, Gray, Stevenson

GOALS
Butcher, Shaw 2, Amon, Harvey, Hitchcock, Mitchell

Hence it prompted my question.

Now he is BOG.

Again, thanks.

What excites me is the fact he can take a mark on 50 and put the ball post height through the goals.

Blokes who have the ability to kick goals from 10-15m deeper than average are so valuable.
best set shot i have seen for a while, maybe ever. could be anything in a year or two.

What excites me is the fact he can take a mark on 50 and put the ball post height through the goals.

Blokes who have the ability to kick goals from 10-15m deeper than average are so valuable.

Bit of Tim Evans about that drop punt of his.

Mitch is a beautiful set shot kick, has footy smarts, and is also the consummate team man. Always gives off to someone in a better position, picking the best option, works hard on the one percenters and gives his all despite his fitness limitations. Can't wait to see him play in the trials early next year after completing his first real preseason. Taking on the ruck work in Renouf's absence as a first year player and never shirking a contest shows the mettle of the kid. I think 2013 will go down as one of our best draft/trade periods considering the options open to us with our ladder position and the players available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Ken doesn't throw him to the wolves. Let him develop in the sanfl again all next year. Should be aiming to debut in middle-end of 2016
He is a massive bloke already.I reckon with another preseason in the gym will have him lining up for the odd game next year.Those big units at GWS haven't played like Lockett or Dunstall yet.It even takes time for number 1 draft picks to develop.
Imagine Shaw and Harvey in a couple of seasons.

Thanks for all telling me Mitch is BOG. I do appreciate.

It is just that the PAFC website after the game did not list Harvey amongst the best, but I had heard he played his best game for us.

The website had the following details:
SCOREBOARD
PORT ADELAIDE 1.2 5.7 6.11 8.12 (60)
GLENELG 1.5 5.9 8.12 13.14 (92)

PORTADELAIDEFC.COM.AU'S BEST
Logan, Newton, Summerton, Gray, Stevenson

GOALS
Butcher, Shaw 2, Amon, Harvey, Hitchcock, Mitchell

Hence it prompted my question.

Now he is BOG.

Again, thanks.
Might just be a confidence booster?

1 will be enough. That's if Schulz, Westhoff, Lobbe, Trengove, Hombsch and Carlile are in the team as our KPP.

I'm hoping we can get Giles as a fwd ruck and Shaw can break into the team very soon with Schulz being 30 next season.
If 1 of Harvey or Shaw really come on in the next 12 to 18 months it could actually prolong Schulzy's career.

Cannot wait to see him play AFL.
Should be ready in the second half next year.

Right on the money Zacchary, I have seen Mitch Harvey kick quite a few goals at Alberton from on and outside the 50 ( members' stand end ), and as you say they go through at post height, plus he seldom misses.

Also, as has been previously mentioned, his mum is the sister of Matt and Tim Rendell, so he may not have finished growing yet.

If 5 years ago you told me we picked up a KPF at pick 45, and that kid played in the SANFL A's and performed solidly and got in the best from time to time, I'd say you were kidding yourself.

I couldnt be happier with his first year, for a guy as raw as he is, its a brilliant effort.

Kid could be anything. Long may his rise continue.

Lack of games for KPPs such as Clurey, Shaw, Butcher would probably agree. I reckon Mr Hinkley has a policy not to bloody KPPs too early

Can't really include Butcher on that list as he's a fair bit older and had already played senior footy.
Clurey got given a game when Carlile was out round 1, but hasn't been able to crack it in front of our particularly well performing backline since.
Harvey was never going to play AFL this year, so really the only one you can point out is Shaw, but he's been inconsistent this year so hasn't quite earnt a spot. Especially after the NAB challenge game where he got 0 touches from nearly a full game.

I reckon the boy is ready, given how we use the sub and we have subbed off big blokes several times this year for a fast little one.

If western royboy is right, and Ken will pull something out of left field that no one is expecting, I'd like to think a September appearance might be in that mix of that left field thinking.

So Mitch surprised us all this year and was significantly better and more consistent than anyone thought he would be. A year of rucking did him good. Now needs to learn that full forward role we need. Still needs a tank and this is the biggest thing holding him back

I need to think he will be a 2017 maybe 2016 proposition for debut. What do people think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back