Remove this Banner Ad

God
REbertpeople.JPG

And his son, Jesus

brett_ebert.jpg

Victoryin81.jpg

Scott%20Hodges.jpg

PortAdel88.jpg

LOL, well put :) and is Sharon, and her son Troy joining us in Melbourne this week?

Hows that photo of Chynoweth in the front row :D

88 GF probably my favourite SANFL game ever, given we hadn't won since since 81. Thanks for missing that goal from the edge of the goalsquare Jim West :thumbsu:

Not sure that this is the best place to put this, but I couldn't be bothered statrting a new thread.

In the Advertiser today there is an article on the 1977 grand final. You just have to love the way football was

Mike Coward reports "THE ENCOUNTER WAS EVERYTHING. IT WAS BRILLIANT, CRUEL, VIOLENT, ABSORBING, FASCINATING. IT NOT ONLY PRODUCED MEMORABLE FOOTBALL SKILLS, BUT INCIDENTS THAT INFLAMED THE PASHION OF BOTH COMPETITORS AND SPECTATORS ALIKE"

Now one thing is for sure, AFL football will never be described in this way. The AFL should go watch this game and then re-assess where they want football to head in the future.

Being a lot older than most posters on this board, I have many favorites but the one that sticks in my mind the most was 1979. I was working in Darwin, caught the 0300 to Adelaide, got off the plane in shorts and thongs. It was bloody freezing in Adelaide, went home to mum's in Rosewater, changed, and off to the footy. No eastern stands, the wind blew from the SW with the rain all day, Sticks Dolan spent two quarters hitting the ball out of bounds in the NE pocket, terrible football spectacle, but great game and result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great photos Pete. I was just thinking Hutts has been in a good paddock, then I saw Mick O'Brien! ;)

Choco's been in a fair paddock hey!

Who the hell is #8 with the goatee. Is that Daryl Chynoweth?

While I in no way disagree with your Glenelg/Cornes assertion footyhead I should point out the 'love tap' burst Peter Maynard's ear drum, concussed him and put him out of the following week's grand final.

Personally I thought Des Foster should have reversed the free kick after his remonstration :). There are probably AFL umpires today who would have.

Dave had boxing training at a young age and could inflict a ferocious blow over a short distance.

As I said it was a love tap a decent punch would have killed him. :D

As I said it was a love tap a decent punch would have killed him. :D

Can't argue with that. Certainly wasn't the roundhouse left the commentators called.

Awesome thread. Alot of the pics certainly takes me back.

In 1983, Port played Norwood at Football Park in the second match of a double header feature that day. At that stage, Norwood had the wood over us but Port won that particular game. My lasting memory of that game was a mark Ray Huppatz took, his back seemed to roll over the back of his opponent as he came down with the ball. I wasn't at that game, still too young and my dad being a Bloods supporter wasn't going to take me, but the radio commentators were jizzing all over the place. I saw it on the news highlights later. Does anyone remember that mark, and moreso, have any footage or a picture of that mark? One of the best marks you'll ever see.

For mine, the 1988 side was just unbelievable. I was too young to really appreciate the 1980 side, but by the time 1988 came around, I was pumped. As good as we were that year, I was still concerned about Glenelg. In those 7 years we went without a flag, which for a kid seems like 700 years, they had the wood over us. So to beat them and beat them well in 88 was the best feeling I had ever experienced up to that point. I was at the game, sitting right next to the cheer squad, with about 5 minutes to go they started singing "we're going to win the league, we're going to win the league", I was thinking how good is this. Although the team was not as good, the 94 side gave me just as much satisfaction. To beat a very cocky reigning premier who we had struggled against for two years, after being 6 goals down, it doesn't get much better than that. Ginever and Hodges, absolute stars.

Awesome thread. Alot of the pics certainly takes me back.

In 1983, Port played Norwood at Football Park in the second match of a double header feature that day. At that stage, Norwood had the wood over us but Port won that particular game. My lasting memory of that game was a mark Ray Huppatz took, his back seemed to roll over the back of his opponent as he came down with the ball. I wasn't at that game, still too young and my dad being a Bloods supporter wasn't going to take me, but the radio commentators were jizzing all over the place. I saw it on the news highlights later. Does anyone remember that mark, and moreso, have any footage or a picture of that mark? One of the best marks you'll ever see.

Larry, Huppatz's mark would have been my first memory from watching a game live - I was seven at the time, and I will never forget the way his body contorted itself in the air. I don't think I've seen another mark quite like that - it was truly unique. Reckon it happened in the goal-square too, although could be my memory playing tricks.

I think in the same game there may have been another brilliant mark taken by a Norwood player - can't remember who though.

The Huppatz mark was one of the first real motivators for me to go to the footy regularly with my dad.

Also remember the GF between Sturt and West that year, as John Paynter was our school's new PE teacher and a terrific bloke.

Indeed your memory does work footyhead. I have the photo somewhere - will post it.

Meanwhile here's a pic of Dave Granger greeting Graham Cornes in a manner befitting.

graingercornes.jpg

Ray Huppatz mark over Wayne 'Gimli' Schmaal. You really need to see the mark in motion to truly appreciate it as Ray leapt onto and then helicoptered on Schmaal's back before crashing to earth with the mark.

I lol every time I see the Granger/Cornes incident.

PJ, I stand corrected, but I think the Huppatz mark happened on the members' wing. I stand corrected. But yea, like I said, one of the best marks you'll ever see. Being a Port fan living in Richmond though, it fell on deaf ears when I was trying to tell people. And in 1983, the year West Adl won the flag, I too was at the GF (think my folks wanted to rub my face in it for defying them and following Port), even moreso.

Would love to see that mark again. In 1983, we didn't own a VCR, otherwise I would have taped the news highlights.

Ray Huppatz mark over Wayne 'Gimli' Schmaal. You really need to see the mark in motion to truly appreciate it as Ray leapt onto and then helicoptered on Schmaal's back before crashing to earth with the mark.

Ok Ford, you just made my day. Thanks mate. My description was spot on, his back rolls over his opponent's back. An amazing pic, thanks again.

With Daryl Chenoweth far left - second from left. First time I saw him play was in a trial game at Alberton and he had a Bay in each arm in a headlock and was trying to work out how to biff one without letting go of the other.

I remember that man, I remember that !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back