Game Day Prelim: Swans v Pies, SCG Sat 4:45

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sick. My son has tried to talk me into sitting and watching the game arguing I will miss the euphoria if we have a brilliant close win. I told him the inevitable agony throughout the game makes me incapable of sitting calmly through the experience. I may watch the first 15 minutes before heading off for the streets.

Because I feel we are a genuine chance the nerves are far worse. I remember walking toward the G on the eve of our prelim against Geelong in 2009 feeling as flat as a tack and saying to my son and mate- "We are in a prelim and I feel like I am going to the dentist." The gut feeling was proven to be spot on. Despite a good start we were never really in it and copped a flogging. No nerves though!
I feel amazing.

That’s because you drink that cheap 2 buck chuck stuff that’s been aged with wood chips raked from the garden beds of the local dog park.

You need to spend good money if you’re going to drink wooded Chardonnay.

A flinty Chablis from Burgundy is the highest form of expression of Chardonnay. They have less oak than you do in your pants, damn your eyes!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't understand why you bother supporting the team. If not able to watch the game live each week, I would not have much interest in following the team. Don't understand how you can maintain such a keen interest in the club.
Because I go and see them live unless they play interstate. I have boxing mates from the past whose family members never attended, particularly mums. I don't doubt their interest in the outcome of the fights or the trajectory of their sons career.

I don't understand your perspective. I could suggest those who can sit calmly and watch a preliminary final are not as passionate or invested in the team and see it more as an enjoyable past time or way of killing a couple of hours.

But I don't.

I don't have a keen interest in my club. They are a hugely significant thread in the tapestry of my life.

When I had a life threatening illness Tony Shaw rang me at home and invited me into the rooms before a crucial clash with the crows at Vic Park in 1992.

Akan Richard'sin knocked on our front door one night and handed me a book on the history of our club signed by the team. He said lived in my area so he was given the job of delivering the book.

When my dad was in the early stages of Alzheimer's Bobby Rose agreed to spend an afternoon with dad and my younger brother in the Collingwood social club overlooking Vic Park.

Bobby was dad's hero and dad still recalled everything about his beloved Pies.

Bobby not only had afternoon tea with dad, he invited Stu and dad down onto the ground and reenacted the final moments of a game against Essendon which dad had told us many times. Bobby kicked three goals in the last five minutes and won us the game! Stu said he stood about 55m out and told dad with a cheeky smile I reckon I slotted the last one from here, Don!

My brother cried hours later when relating the afternoon experience.

Stu wrote a poem about that day and our passion for Collingwood and framed it with a photo of Bobby with dad

Greg Swann said he would hang it on the wall in the social club and true to his word he did.

I have signed framed Collingwood guernsies given to me by friends who know what the club means to me.

I have season tickets from 1897, 1898, 1899, 1900 and 1901 framed and hanging on my loungeroom walk. Our family room is a veritable Collingwood museum with a numbered piece of a seat from the Shertin Stand hanging above the kitchen bench and four other framed paintings all Collingwood related adorning the walls.

Cameron Doyle, a former Collingwood player and owner of a Smith Street memorabilia store offered me 10k in cash for the season tickets over 15 years ago!

I politely declined his offer.

My whole life and five generations of my family is saturated in the black and white of our beloved Collingwood!

One of my best mates and friend of forty years is a former Collingwood player who still shakes his head at my passion for the club he played for.

He claims I know more about his career than he does. He is right

Like many others I slept (tried to) in the stands at Vic Park in order to get my finals tickets before going to school to teach without a minute of sleep but happy to know I had my seat for another granny.

I'm sure others have similar tales to tell. My issue is I care too much.

I don't question your love for our club and I don't see why you'd question mine.

24 hours out and it’s that nervous excitement feeling here.
Never did I imagine being in this position at the start of the year, but as the year progressed the confidence grew and grew to just knowing last week we would win to book our place here.
It’s all before us, get the job done and destiny awaits. It’s a massive opportunity which I just know the coaching group and players will give it any almighty crack!
One night, back when I was a single man, I was in a great mood, getting ready for a night out.
It was mid spring, with everything that brings. I grabbed a pair of socks and as I unrolled them $500 cash fell out.
$500 buck cash I had stashed from my holiday pay in January, so I did not spend it all at the pub over the hols.

That is exactly what this year of footy and this prelim feels like.

Just read the last page of the game preview thread in the Sydney board. They seem confident that if Sydney is close to Collingwood at 1/2 time that they're a better finishing team than us. Have they watched any Collingwood games this year?

JDG was out when we played and key Pie players battled the flu. Ginni didn't see the game out.

Furthermore Papley is so annoying, almost as much as Buddy who carries on like a pork chop. Beau to address this concern.

They're rightful favourites, but we couldn't GAF what the bookies together with all the footy-experts think.

Pies in canter by 4 points.
Papley and Buddy are the two sookiest, most punchable whingers in any shared forward line.

I feel sick. My son has tried to talk me into sitting and watching the game arguing I will miss the euphoria if we have a brilliant close win. I told him the inevitable agony throughout the game makes me incapable of sitting calmly through the experience. I may watch the first 15 minutes before heading off for the streets.

Because I feel we are a genuine chance the nerves are far worse. I remember walking toward the G on the eve of our prelim against Geelong in 2009 feeling as flat as a tack and saying to my son and mate- "We are in a prelim and I feel like I am going to the dentist." The gut feeling was proven to be spot on. Despite a good start we were never really in it and copped a flogging. No nerves though!
Genuine q - have you thought about therapy for this crippling anxiety you feel?

Hey All.
Last try here before I open it up to the general public.

1 ticket available for prelim tomorrow. Other person cannot attend so looking to give to a fellow Pies fan only.

Brewongle stand. Category 1. Message me if interested.

Go pies.

Papley and Buddy are the two sookiest, most punchable whingers in any shared forward line.

They're so frikkin' awful. I don't hate Sydney but those 2 really get on my ****.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're so frikkin' awful. I don't hate Sydney but those 2 really get on my ****.
I actually really like a lot of their players. Heney is really good to watch and seems a very solid bloke. Have always loved the way Kennedy and Parker play. Tom Hickey is a legend.

But those two..

I actually really like a lot of their players. Heney is really good to watch and seems a very solid bloke. Have always loved the way Kennedy and Parker play. Tom Hickey is a legend.

But those two..

Cmon mate. Bud’s production and now longevity make him one of the best you will ever see. And Jesinta is a scorcher.

Cmon mate. Bud’s production and now longevity make him one of the best you will ever see. And Jesinta is a scorcher.

Oh yeah, if I had to build around one player post-2000 he would be the one I would choose.

I just think he's a complete knob with how he carries on, especially given he would be in the 99th percentile for strength in the comp.

Because I go and see them live unless they play interstate. I have boxing mates from the past whose family members never attended, particularly mums. I don't doubt their interest in the outcome of the fights or the trajectory of their sons career.

I don't understand your perspective. I could suggest those who can sit calmly and watch a preliminary final are not as passionate or invested in the team and see it more as an enjoyable past time or way of killing a couple of hours.

But I don't.

I don't have a keen interest in my club. They are a hugely significant thread in the tapestry of my life.

When I had a life threatening illness Tony Shaw rang me at home and invited me into the rooms before a crucial clash with the crows at Vic Park in 1992.

Akan Richard'sin knocked on our front door one night and handed me a book on the history of our club signed by the team. He said lived in my area so he was given the job of delivering the book.

When my dad was in the early stages of Alzheimer's Bobby Rose agreed to spend an afternoon with dad and my younger brother in the Collingwood social club overlooking Vic Park.

Bobby not only had afternoon tea with dad, he invited Stu and dad down onto the ground and reenacted the final moments of a game against Essendon which dad had told us many times. Bobby kicked three goals in the last five minutes and won us the game! Stu said he stood about 55m out and told dad with a cheeky smile I reckon I slotted the last one from here, Don!

Stu wrote a poem about that day and our passion for Collingwood and framed it with a photo of Bobby with dad

Greg Swann said he would hang it on the wall in the social club and true to his word he did.

I have signed framed Collingwood guernsies given to me by friends who know what the club means to me.

I have season tickets from 1897, 1898, 1899, 1900 and 1901 framed and hanging on my loungeroom walk. Our family room is a veritable Collingwood museum with a numbered piece of a seat from the Shertin Stand hanging above the kitchen bench and four other framed paintings all Collingwood related adorning the walls.

Cameron Doyle, a former Collingwood player and owner of a Smith Street memorabilia store offered me 10k in cash for the season tickets over 15 years ago!

My whole life and five generations of my family is saturated in the black and white of our beloved Collingwood!

One of my best mates and friend of forty years is a former Collingwood player who still shakes his head at my passion for the club he played for.

Like many others I slept (tried to) in the stands at Vic Park in order to get my finals tickets before going to school to teach without a minute of sleep but happy to know I had my seat for another granny.

I don't question your love for our club and I don't see why you'd question mine.
I can relate to not being able to watch. You get so emotionally invested it is 2 hours of agony because you want to win so bad.

Being a very good player and a flog are not mutually exclusive.
patrick dangerfield tea GIF by geelongcats

But I don't.

I wasn't questioning your love for the club - obviously I should have made that clearer. I was seeking to understand how you can walk the streets and generally avoid watching the game even when scores are tight. I have to admit I still don't quite get it. I don't understand how watching a game live at the venue, which you say you do every week if the game is in Melbourne, is any different on your nerves than watching a live telecast.

I appreciate your detailed explanation and fully understand your devotion to the club. Unfortunately you have taken offence when there was none intended. Perhaps my question and comments were a bit blunt. Next time I approach a delicate topic with anyone, I'll preface my question with a sea of carefully chosen words to indicate that I have only the best of intentions.

After a car accident on Monday I was feeling a bit sore and sorry for myself and just not into it for some reason.

Then Essendon stepped up to the plate to make me laugh and induce me to give myself an uppercut.

We are Collingwood for heck sake. Exasperating we may be at times, conditioned to disappointments we may be, but we aren't participants in some self-inflicted death cult of whiny entitled wankstains and for that I am grateful as heck.

Everyone should hug their horse every day and praise Epona we are lucky enough to follow this maddening, extraordinary, astounding club. And here, at the business end of a year that has been a roller coaster even in a history littered with them, it's time to enjoy whatever the heck happens. *

Bruises eased with soothing unguents and delicately applied massage, fears eased with copious quantities of single malt, I am sitting back, sucking down the vibe and alcohol in a 1 to 1 ratio with oxygen, while demolishing a plate of chicken tenders like the last chook on earth has croaked, and feeling no pain. It's good brethren, it's all good.

*please be gentle if hugging this horse. My everything hurts.

Not only is Collingwood at a silly $3.05 with some bookies but two of the three umpires, Stevic and Meredith, were the umpires that gifted the Dogs their 2016 flag with a chronically pro Dogs free kicks.

So these two have got the Swans again, stand by for a very pro Pies interpretation of every line ball call.

This is a punting gift from the Gods at AFL House, $3.05 to win and have a saver at the $1.90 line of 17.5 points, make good money on both.

The joy for you guys of a GF berth and a big win on the punt

In Stevic and Meredith we trust, the cheating bastards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back