Preview Preseason 2015 (expectations, stepping up, etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Beams was on the fringe in 2010, was probably just in our best 22, whereas steele was solidly in our starting lineup.
He just hasn't added anything to his game. He has gotten better simply through maturing and learning the game better, but I haven't really see him take his game to the next level by added something like a consistent set shot, a contested game, a high disposal efficiency, a marking game, a strong tackling game. His game now is pretty much the same as in 2010 and we can't afford that anymore

So is there anyone besides Pendlebury and Swan that has played consistently better than Sidebottom that is still on our list since 2010? I've never understood how Sidebottom can be seen so negatively by supporters. He is amazingly consistent and durable. Plays both inside and outside games to a high level and is decent shot on goal.

His game now may seem underwhelming because he is playing more of an outside, run and carry role. In 2011 (his best year statistically) he played predominantly in the centre. Maybe this year with the departure of Beams he might play more inside minutes?

Lets also not forget that this guy stands up in big games. His ability to perform when it matters is up there with Pendles.

Beams wasn't fringe... He was ahead of Sidey back then in my opinion, they were probably 50/50 but I always felt more confident in Beams. Steele has added plenty to his game since 2010 and I always worried he'd fall away, I'm only sticking up for him because he actually has continued improve even though I worried he wouldn't. When all our other midfielders are running forward/waiting who do you always see in the backline helping out? Pendles and Sidey. Steele was only a promising young player in 2010 and now he's an A grader. I think you're just remembering 2010 in a nicer light because we won the flag. The only knock on him would be under kicking at times during 2013 and missing 20m targets but he seems to have fixed that.

The following three players would have a remarkable effect on our on field performance if they stepped it up a gear next season:

Grundy- Has so much potential. If we can give him a better tank he'll be much more effective around the ground, and we could form a very dangerous ruck combo between him and Witts.

Seedsman- This preseason is massive for this kid. He has such good skills and pace, we just need to find a way to get fitness into him. Size would also be nice, but it depends on how they want to use him. If he is going to played off half back then we need to improve his one on one abilities, and strength. His pace and ball use makes him a 70 to 100 metre player. He could be a serious weapon if we can get his body right.

Karnezis- This kid has great skills and could really be a point of difference in our forward line, a little like Caracella back in the day. If he can get his body right, he has the potential to really improve our forward/ half forward structure, making us much more dangerous up forward. A forward line with Cloke, Elliott, Karnezis, one or two of the mids resting, has extreme potential.

The other players I want to see some improvement in (although less vital) are: Kennedy, Fasolo, Freeman, Adams, and Witts.

So is there anyone besides Pendlebury and Swan that has played consistently better than Sidebottom that is still on our list since 2010? I've never understood how Sidebottom can be seen so negatively by supporters. He is amazingly consistent and durable. Plays both inside and outside games to a high level and is decent shot on goal.

His game now may seem underwhelming because he is playing more of an outside, run and carry role. In 2011 (his best year statistically) he played predominantly in the centre. Maybe this year with the departure of Beams he might play more inside minutes?

Lets also not forget that this guy stands up in big games. His ability to perform when it matters is up there with Pendles.
I by no means thinks he is a bad player. I disagree with the majority of his critics, I just think the best sides have 2 or more players you need to tag. If steele can elevate his game to a level where he needs to be tagged I think it would largely fill the hole left by beams.
I think what I'm saying is coming across as me saying I think he's been crap, and I don't, many games he is our best or second best midfielder. I just think by maybe adding to his game a bit more or elevating his impact he can go from being one of the better midfielders in the comp to being elite

Perennially underrated player. I thought that would end when we saw how much we missed him over that 4 weeks suspension, but still people find ways to put him down.

Perennially underrated player. I thought that would end when we saw how much we missed him over that 4 weeks suspension, but still people find ways to put him down.
Not so certain Chilli, to be sure he is a fine player with strong physical and skill gifts but I still don't believe he has moved out of his comfort zone enough to realize the shining potential he showed in '10.

Yes we are a better side with him in BUT he could be so much better than he is already. He may reach that shining potential but its a little frustrating NOT to see him reaching for it with every resource at his command.

Not so certain Chilli, to be sure he is a fine player with strong physical and skill gifts but I still don't believe he has moved out of his comfort zone enough to realize the shining potential he showed in '10.

Yes we are a better side with him in BUT he could be so much better than he is already. He may reach that shining potential but its a little frustrating NOT to see him reaching for it with every resource at his command.
Not everyone turns into to GAJ.

Some players are just good solid workhorses that consistently play at an A grade level. I am not so sure he'll ever crack that elite level that other mids seem to reach. He doesn't have the same game style as a Swan, Ablett, Dangerfield, Beams etc... He won't win you a game off his own boot out of the middle (in the forward line you might make a case for him though). His link up work, goal sense, and endurance are what makes him a great player, players like that never get the same accolades as your ball winners.

Not everyone turns into to GAJ.

Some players are just good solid workhorses that consistently play at an A grade level. I am not so sure he'll ever crack that elite level that other mids seem to reach. He doesn't have the same game style as a Swan, Ablett, Dangerfield, Beams etc... He won't win you a game off his own boot out of the middle (in the forward line you might make a case for him though). His link up work, goal sense, and endurance are what makes him a great player, players like that never get the same accolades as your ball winners.
Agreed Chilli though I see him as a player capable of more if the stars had aligned ;)

Seriously though he's a walk up start in any 22 and much more than just a bit player, we are fortunate to have snagged him.

Sidebottom will win the brownlow and our B&F next year. Anyone who claims we don't need him anymore is just having a piss take.

It's no coincidence our season really started to fall down when he got suspended for 3 weeks.

Agreed Chilli though I see him as a player capable of more if the stars had aligned ;)

Seriously though he's a walk up start in any 22 and much more than just a bit player, we are fortunate to have snagged him.
Can't blame you for wanting more;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid, Freeman, Kennedy, Adams, hopefully to play all 22 games. Almost 4 new recruits.

Greenwood and Varcoe to add something different.
Hopefully Crisp keeps improving, like his attitude.

Maybe see Scharenberg the back half of the year.

Then our Pick 5 and Darcy Moore as well.

We may not be contending come the end of Round 23 but i'll be damned if i'm not going to be excited about watching us next year, we have 1 play that's 30. If we get it right on the track, skills, fitness, we have a period of sustained success ahead of us.

Benken, Grundy, broomhead and karnesis for me need big preseasons... We know what we are gunna get from pendles and Cloke etc. time for the young boys and a couple of mid rangers to dig in and have a huge preseason

Utter garbage, week in, week out??

JT needs a big preseason. With Beams gone he needs to show he can step and play consistently apart of the midfield group.

Utter garbage, week in, week out??

We know what we're gonna get from Cloke week in week out. Its the players that kick to him I'm worried about.

JT needs a big preseason. With Beams gone he needs to show he can step and play consistently apart of the midfield group.

I really like JT I think this is his year. No excuses now beams is gone.. I'll prob get howled down for this but the way he moves and kicks reminds me a bit of judd without brownlows and premierships

I really like JT I think this is his year. No excuses now beams is gone.. I'll prob get howled down for this but the way he moves and kicks reminds me a bit of judd without brownlows and premierships

Well I've been up and down on Thomas (mainly down) but I think this ear could be his year. I hope he steps up this year. The Judd comparison, I think he's a similar type where he burst out of the pack but is shorter and isn't nearly as good (yet).

Well I've been up and down on Thomas (mainly down) but I think this ear could be his year. I hope he steps up this year. The Judd comparison, I think he's a similar type where he burst out of the pack but is shorter and isn't nearly as good (yet).

5727651.jpg

True

I really hope we do something like this.
We are so far off.
I also recall hearing how hawthorn had installed a big timer, and they regularly practised what to do in the dying minutes of a game, how to wind down the clock defending a small lead, and how to attack if behind. So when it happens they are well drilled on what to do.
I'd really like to see a great deal of preseason spent on gameplan, structures and match Simulation
We should go in to round one having played a minimum of 10 full match simulations so the players are sharp and know their structures and plays, patterns and are familiar with all their teammates. Fitness is one thing but its football, not a marathon and football players will defeat athletes any day of the week.
We were so rusty in the preseason and round 1 last year, that has to be rectified.

this makes way too much sense. I'm sure they'd rather practice
  1. how to kick to a three-on-one situation (odds against us)
  2. how to fly for pack marks leaving the opposition forward on the ground alone
  3. how to always kick it to Cloke even if 3 other Pies are on their own (see point 1)

In the words of Confucius/Maxwell they all need to step the f....k up!

P.S I think it is make or break for Thomas this year. No more excuses.

Beams wasn't fringe... He was ahead of Sidey back then in my opinion, they were probably 50/50 but I always felt more confident in Beams. Steele has added plenty to his game since 2010 and I always worried he'd fall away, I'm only sticking up for him because he actually has continued improve even though I worried he wouldn't. When all our other midfielders are running forward/waiting who do you always see in the backline helping out? Pendles and Sidey. Steele was only a promising young player in 2010 and now he's an A grader. I think you're just remembering 2010 in a nicer light because we won the flag. The only knock on him would be under kicking at times during 2013 and missing 20m targets but he seems to have fixed that.

Sidey was way ahead of Beams in 2010. Beams was playing predominantly as a hhf and had a really bad conversion rate from set shots iirc.
Sidey's GF performances were spectacular whereas Beams was quiet. In the draw Sidey had 19 disposals, Beams had 12. In the replay Sidey had 25 and 2 goals, Beams had 11 disposals. Beams only really exploded in 2012.
All up though I don't see a need for Sidey to "step up" as he's been playing at a high level for so long. Anyone who says he's ineffective or hasn't got good disposal is not watching him play. He's a gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back