Preview Preseason 2015 (expectations, stepping up, etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sidey was way ahead of Beams in 2010. Beams was playing predominantly as a hhf and had a really bad conversion rate from set shots iirc.
Sidey's GF performances were spectacular whereas Beams was quiet. In the draw Sidey had 19 disposals, Beams had 12. In the replay Sidey had 25 and 2 goals, Beams had 11 disposals. Beams only really exploded in 2012.
All up though I don't see a need for Sidey to "step up" as he's been playing at a high level for so long. Anyone who says he's ineffective or hasn't got good disposal is not watching him play. He's a gun.
Beams having a poor grand final was the first blemish on his record, and the first worry. It was also confirmation that Sidey was a finals performer and the 10 goal TAC cup grand final was no fluke. Up until that point Beams was out performing Sidey and Beams continued to outperform him at the beginning the next season, he just couldn't get it together in finals at the time. Sidey is just a better finals player than Beams and I dare say he'd still outperform Beams in a grand final now. They were both playing their fair share in the forward line at the time, this wasn't restricted to Beams.

Anyway both were good players but Beams always played at a level above Sidey in my opinion. I always thought this was the common consensus as all my mates seemed to see it the same way. I can't really be bothered trying to find any opinions from 2010 on here because I'm on my phone and it makes things difficult but I'd be interested to see what was said.

Last edited:
Beams having a poor grand final was the first blemish on his record, and the first worry. It was also confirmation that Sidey was a finals performer and the 10 goal TAC cup grand final was no fluke. Up until that point Beams was out performing Sidey and Beams continued to outperform him at the beginning the next season, he just couldn't get it together in finals at the time. Sidey is just a better finals player than Beams and I dare say he'd still outperform Beams in a grand final now. They were both playing their fair share in the forward line at the time, this wasn't restricted to Beams.

Anyway both were good players but Beams always played at a level above Sidey in my opinion. I always thought this was the common consensus as all my mates seemed to see it the same way. I can't really be bothered trying to find any opinions from 2010 on here because I'm on my phone and it makes things difficult but I'd be interested to see what was said.

I agree with this. Beams performed at a higher level than Steele from game 1 but Steele's exceptional finals performance on Vince in 2009 and in the 2010 gfs inflated people's opinions of him at that stage (for the same reason Beams' average gf deflated views of him).

I agree with this. Beams performed at a higher level than Steele from game 1 but Steele's exceptional finals performance on Vince in 2009 and in the 2010 gfs inflated people's opinions of him at that stage (for the same reason Beams' average gf deflated views of him).
Agree 100%. At the time I had Sidey pegged as the better of the 2 based on loving what he did as a finals and big game performer. Beams outshone him week to week. I didn't see the mega improvement Beams underwent in 2012 coming. Sure not many did. Sidey has suffered a little because Beamer took off so strongly but he has improved every year and is a real key going forward

Reid, Freeman, Kennedy, Adams, hopefully to play all 22 games. Almost 4 new recruits.

Greenwood and Varcoe to add something different.
Hopefully Crisp keeps improving, like his attitude.

Maybe see Scharenberg the back half of the year.

Then our Pick 5 and Darcy Moore as well.

We may not be contending come the end of Round 23 but i'll be damned if i'm not going to be excited about watching us next year, we have 1 play that's 30. If we get it right on the track, skills, fitness, we have a period of sustained success ahead of us.
I would exchange Freeman for Fasolo in that group of 4 that need to play 22 next year. Fas is A grade in the making once fully fit.

Freeman is like a 1st year player next year. Very few of those step straight into a 22. A good VFL apprenticeship and some AFL time later in the season is a reasonable expectation. If he can do more than that it is a bonus.

I would exchange Freeman for Fasolo in that group of 4 that need to play 22 next year. Fas is A grade in the making once fully fit.

Freeman is like a 1st year player next year. Very few of those step straight into a 22. A good VFL apprenticeship and some AFL time later in the season is a reasonable expectation. If he can do more than that it is a bonus.

Of last years draftees.

Kelly 8 games
Billings 16 games
Bontempelli 16 games
Kolodjashnij 18 games
Aish 21 games
McDonald 22 games
Salem 12 games
Dunston 16 games
Impey 14 games
Merrett 20 games
Taylor 22 games
Kennedy-Harris 14 games
Langdon 19 games

I will respectfully disagree that very few step into best 22.

Freemans mature body and he completed a preseason last year, this will be his 2nd and in my opinion given an injury free pre season and NAB cup, he will line up Round 1 and play at least 12-14 games.

Freeman brings something we desperately need and that is line breaking pace.

Of last years draftees.

Kelly 8 games
Billings 16 games
Bontempelli 16 games
Kolodjashnij 18 games
Aish 21 games
McDonald 22 games
Salem 12 games
Dunston 16 games
Impey 14 games
Merrett 20 games
Taylor 22 games
Kennedy-Harris 14 games
Langdon 19 games

I will respectfully disagree that very few step into best 22.

Freemans mature body and he completed a preseason last year, this will be his 2nd and in my opinion given an injury free pre season and NAB cup, he will line up Round 1 and play at least 12-14 games.

Freeman brings something we desperately need and that is line breaking pace.
Yeah I agree 12-14 games would be an excellent result. Don't think we need to have him up to pace by round 1 though. 12-14 games and the rest at VFL level would not make him a clear best 22 yet. I see Freeman more as a future hope rather than someone who will have a significant influence in 2015.

He is as talented as anyone else, however he hasn't added anything really to his game for the past 5 years. He has benefited from being the 4th best midfielder the majority of that time, he isn't in that position anymore.
In 2010 he was much better than Beams and looked set as a midfield gun. steele stood still and allowed beams to completely leap from him. I question his "running hard as anyone", and difference between those blokes mentioned is they are the pinnacle of the game. Is a well below average tackler, never a reliable set shot on goal, gets very little contested ball and hasn't really improved his disposal. He needs to add something.

I think he's developed very well over the last 4 years and is becoming a midfield gun.

Wrong.

If we can have a normal preseason for injuries -normal for the average - which means about the third of what we have had for the last 3 years things will improve IMMENSELY.

SO TIRED of people NOT factoring in injuries to our performances. :mad:

Actually, C023 was 100% correct. Every player on the list should look to be a better player in 2015 than they were in 2014. Be that through improved fitness, strength, or skills is irrelevent. Nothing to do with injuries.

Actually, C023 was 100% correct. Every player on the list should look to be a better player in 2015 than they were in 2014. Be that through improved fitness, strength, or skills is irrelevent. Nothing to do with injuries.
You are using sophistry jackass, natural improvement is a given.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think these 2 should stick to their natural position.

Building the tank to allow the opportunity to go into the midfield if needed doesn't mean they won't play the majority of games at their current positions. And with developing kids, who's to say what their natural position will ultimately be. You really need to learn to identify and sieze opportunity. I think it was Einstein who said the very definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different outcomes.

He is as talented as anyone else, however he hasn't added anything really to his game for the past 5 years. He has benefited from being the 4th best midfielder the majority of that time, he isn't in that position anymore.
In 2010 he was much better than Beams and looked set as a midfield gun. steele stood still and allowed beams to completely leap from him. I question his "running hard as anyone", and difference between those blokes mentioned is they are the pinnacle of the game. Is a well below average tackler, never a reliable set shot on goal, gets very little contested ball and hasn't really improved his disposal. He needs to add something.

Rewatch the last few games of 2014 for Sidebottom. I think he came of age during those games with more consistent 4 quarter efforts, worked really hard to cover the injuries to senior players.

People refer to his running because he is one of the few genuine 2 way runners in the midfield insomuch as he works equally as hard to get back into defense as he does to run forward.

Building the tank to allow the opportunity to go into the midfield if needed doesn't mean they won't play the majority of games at their current positions. And with developing kids, who's to say what their natural position will ultimately be. You really need to learn to identify and sieze opportunity.

Well of course they should look to build there tank.

I think it was Einstein who said the very definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different outcomes.

Yes but Elliott playing forward and Langdon back worked. I agree with other things that haven't work aren't worth persisting.

i guess people will be taking pictures of crisp tomoz yeh ?

I don't want to see Buckley getting interviewed 3 minutes before the bounce and saying if we win more contested ball we'll win.
Practice getting the contested ball in this off season if that's meant to be the game plan.

i guess people will be taking pictures of crisp tomoz yeh ?

So pre-season training starts tomorrow, for first to fourth year players? Would be great if someone starts a new thread on this, for people to post updates and photos.

Did anyone read the article today in the Age about the start of the preseason? Interesting reporting on Donovan, the Article claims, 'Davoren had already highlighted the need for the Pies to lift their training loads this summer, having increased output by 30 per cent last summer.'

I don't feel sorry for the boys because they get paid a lot of money and are living the dream but I do hope they do some warm up stretches and warm down stretches. Don't want any pulling a muscle with those type of load increases. They might have to stay away from the beer after training as well.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...players-back-at-training-20141104-11gnk0.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back