Discussion Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

This is hard. This is the best I came up with before giving up in frustration. I'm not very happy with it and there are guys that I would want to put in the team but just can't make it work at the moment.

FB: Geary, Delaney, Dempster
HB: Savage, Fisher, Newnes
C: Montagna, Armitage, Ray
HF: Billings, Riewoldt, Templeton
FF: Curren, Bruce, Membrey
FO: Hickey, Steven, Dunstan
I/C: Webster, Wright, Weller
SUB: Acres

Senior players have been given priority on the basis that kids must force them out of the team. Ideally, I'd like someone to force Ray out of the team by the end of the year.

Gilbo is absent because of injury concerns and while the club says he'll be right to go round 1 I'm taking the safe option.

I've gone with only Hickey as ruck with Bruce to do the backup ruck work.

Membrey could easily be swapped with Lee. I did toy with the idea of playing Roo, Bruce, Lee and Membrey in the same team with Roo playing really high up the ground and the other three operating as a normal 3 man forward line. It could work but I struggled to figure out who to leave out to get Lee in the team.

Ross, Saunders, Lee are pretty unlucky to not make it but we have to many players that need games and not enough spots. I could see all of Minchi, Shenton, Lonie, McKenzie plus the other new guys playing 5+ games next year but I'll be stuffed if I can figure out who they replace. Injury will probably play a big part in who gets games until some more senior players retire or kids develop a bit more and overtake them.

I'm not sure if its part of an overall strategy, but most of our players now have plenty of competition for spots.
So who is best 22 out of Saunders, Wright, Curren, Templeton Ross etc

Who is best out of Membrey, Markworth, Sippos?
Longer and Hickey.

Our best 22 will be very much decided by form heading into round 1.

Dempster Delaney Geary
Newnes Fisher Wright
Montagna Dunston Savage
Membery Riewoldt Billings
Bruce White Templeton
Hickey Steven Armitage

Weller Ray Webster Sub: Acres

And damn that was hard! Where do I find tge odds for the VFL premiership? Because Sandy will have a fair side!!

I'm not sure if its part of an overall strategy, but most of our players now have plenty of competition for spots.
So who is best 22 out of Saunders, Wright, Curren, Templeton Ross etc

Who is best out of Membrey, Markworth, Sippos?
Longer and Hickey.

Our best 22 will be very much decided by form heading into round 1.
Membrey and Hickey easily.

Who is better out of Membrey v Murdoch?

I can't believe its that clear cut.
I believe nearly every player in the team has someone to apply pressure for their spot.
Agree with that. But Siposs is injured and Markworth has never played a game.
Hickey is miles ahead of Longer at this stage.

I see Murdoch and Membrey as similar. Probably competing for a spot. I doubt we can play both.

Agree with that. But Siposs is injured and Markworth has never played a game.
Hickey is miles ahead of Longer at this stage.

I see Murdoch and Membrey as similar. Probably competing for a spot. I doubt we can play both.

And Murdoch has played 17 and Membrey has played 1. If Murdoch is a forward he doesn't kick many goals. 1 every other game.
Membrey is a shortarse full forward, who we hope can adapt to a medium forward role. He's played one goalless game.
Siposs maybe not much different from Murdoch but managed to kick 2 goals on a number of occasions and even managed to rack up 20 disposals a couple of times.
Markworth has played one fewer game than Membrey. His burst of speed is what could differentiate him from the others.

And Murdoch has played 17 and Membrey has played 1. If Murdoch is a forward he doesn't kick many goals. 1 every other game.
Membrey is a shortarse full forward, who we hope can adapt to a medium forward role. He's played one goalless game.
Siposs maybe not much different from Murdoch but managed to kick 2 goals on a number of occasions and even managed to rack up 20 disposals a couple of times.
Markworth has played one fewer game than Membrey. His burst of speed is what could differentiate him from the others.
All academic at the moment really isnt it.

But hey its exciting times because we have so many unknowns.
Probably 30 blokes on our list who we really dont know much about yet.
If 20 of those 30 turn out good players - we will be good again in few years and playing finals!
15 on our list wont be there in three years. So take out Fisher Roo Dempster and Joey and that still leaves 11 others who will probably be gone in three years. Who those 11 will be I have no idea!

Last edited:
All academic at the moment really isnt it.

But hey its exciting times because we have so many unknowns.
Probably 30 blokes on our list who we really dont know much about yet.
If 20 of those 30 turn out good players - we will be good again in few years and playing finals!
15 on our list wont be there in three years. So take out Fisher Roo Dempster and Joey and that still leaves 11 others who will probably be gone in three years. Who those 11 will be I have no idea!

Hopefully all traded for early draft picks ;)

Premiers vs wooden spooners

Just tried to match the Hawks 22 that won the grand final to our potential 2015 team. Hawks have a lot more talent and experience on every line, but I can atleast see a future for our players. Especially when including the potential of players looking to break into the team over the next few years (Goddard, McCartin, McKenzie, Ross, Wright, Lonie, Murdoch, Saunders, Curren, White, Lee etc, not to mention hopefully a couple of gun mids in 2015)

B: Gibson, Lake, Birchall
HB: Spangher, Stratton, Hodge
C: Lewis, Mitchell, Smith
HF: Breust, Gunston, Rioli
F: McEvoy, Roughead, Puopolo
R: Hale, Shiels, Burgoyne
I/C: Hill, Langford, Suckling, Duryea (S)

B: Dempster, Delaney, Geary
HB: Gilbert, Fisher, Savage
C: Montagna, Armitage, Newnes
HF: Membrey, Riewoldt, Billings
F: Longer, Bruce, Templeton
R: Hickey, Dunstan, Steven
I/C: Ray, Weller, Webster, Acres (S)

I can see what you have tried to do but really hard to compare the current dynasty with the bottom side who has unknown "potential" from recent draftees.
If you are looking at potential you might be better to look 2 years ahead when Fisher, Gilbert, Monty, Roo, Ray will likely be gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seniors

HB: Webster, Fisher, Savage
R: Hickey, Armitage, Steven
C: Montagna, Dunstan, Ray
FF: Bruce, White, Membrey
IC: Newnes, Acres, Ross (Weller)

Reserves

FB: Roberton, Simpkin, Wright
HB: McKenzie, Goddard, Gilbert
R: Longer, Curren, Minchington
C: Saunders, Murdoch, Shenton
HF: Saad, Lee, Siposs
FF: Schneider, McCartin, Pierce
IC: Payne, Sinclair, Lonie, Holmes, Markworth

Not as easy as I thought considering where we are in our rebuilding. A lot of decent players very stiff.

B. 34. Nathan WRIGHT - 21. Luke DELANEY - 24. Sean DEMPSTER
HB. 25. Sam FISHER - 27. Josh BRUCE - 19. Sam GILBERT
C. 22. Farren RAY - 20. David ARMITAGE - 11. Leigh MONTAGNA
HF. 15. Jack BILLINGS - 12. Nick RIEWOLDT - 28. Tim MEMBREY
F. 4. Eli TEMPLETON - 9. Tom LEE - 23. Spencer WHITE
R. 1. Tom HICKEY - 7. Luke DUNSTAN - 3. Jack STEVEN
INT. 14. Jarryn GEARY - 16. Jack NEWNES - 44. Maverick WELLER - 8. Blake ACRES (sub)

EMG. 18. Billy LONGER - 26. Tom CURREN - 29. Jimmy WEBSTER

Seniors

HB: Webster, Fisher, Savage
R: Hickey, Armitage, Steven
C: Montagna, Dunstan, Ray
FF: Bruce, White, Membrey
IC: Newnes, Acres, Ross (Weller)

Reserves

FB: Roberton, Simpkin, Wright
HB: McKenzie, Goddard, Gilbert
R: Longer, Curren, Minchington
C: Saunders, Murdoch, Shenton
HF: Saad, Lee, Siposs
FF: Schneider, McCartin, Pierce
IC: Payne, Sinclair, Lonie, Holmes, Markworth

That's a very deep list. There are good reasons to play at least half of the reserves in the seniors.

Geary Delaney dempster
Fisher bruce savage
Montagna dunstan newnes
Schneider riewoldt billings
Saad ? Templeton

Hickey armitage steven

Int. Gilbert ross dunstan ray

Lets assume we need to pick a squad from the current list to win a prelim (not develop careers). Players that pick themselves if they are fully fit and available shown in HIGH CAPS. Players competing for a spot grouped in small caps:

B: DEMPSTER, DELANEY, Bruce/Wright

HB: WEBSTER, FISHER, Gilbert/Geary

C: MONTAGNA, NEWNES, STEVEN

HF: BILLINGS, RIEWOLDT, SCHNEIDER

F: Templeton/Saad, White/Membrey, Lee/Murdoch

R: HICKEY, DUNSTAN, ARMITAGE

INT: Longer, WELLER, RAY, Curren/Ross

Lets assume we need to pick a squad from the current list to win a prelim (not develop careers). Players that pick themselves if they are fully fit and available shown in HIGH CAPS. Players competing for a spot grouped in small caps:

B: DEMPSTER, DELANEY, Bruce/Wright

HB: WEBSTER, FISHER, Gilbert/Geary

C: MONTAGNA, NEWNES, STEVEN

HF: BILLINGS, RIEWOLDT, SCHNEIDER

F: Templeton/Saad, White/Membrey, Lee/Murdoch

R: HICKEY, DUNSTAN, ARMITAGE

INT: Longer, WELLER, RAY, Curren/Ross

Surely a fit Gilbert picks himself. Geary probably over and above Weller too. Not sure that Webster is a shoe in just yet.

heres my best 22, VFL side and dev squad given the 13 cap (i think its actually 12, but nevermind)

AFL
B Geary Delaney Fisher
HB Dempster Bruce Webster
C Montagna Armitage Ray
HF Savage Riewoldt Membrey
F Billings Lee Hickey
R Longer Dunstan Steven
I/C Gilbert Newnes Templeton
SUB Saunders

VFL (not sure of the VFL players but took a stab at it)
B Wright Roberton Simpkin
HB Shakallis* Le Grice* Shenton
C Banfield* Ross Cook*
HF Hyphen* Brown* Schneider
F Saad White Pierce
R Holmes Cockie* Jones*
I/C Ong* Weller Acres Murdoch *Noone

VFL Development
B BP Goddard Baker-Thomas
HB HBF CHF HBF
C McKenzie CTR Markworth
HF Sinclair CHF HFF
F Lonie McCartin Payne
R RUCK Minchington Curren
I/C

LTI: Siposs

that means we have minchington, curren, markworth all 3 years plus playing in the dev squad which is utter bullshit. no matter what you do you will have seasoned players playing in the dev squad. whilst we also probably want the likes on mckenzie and sinclair playing VFL seniors round 1. mccartin, goddard and lonie we probably want in there too, probably in patches. lonie the more likely of the three

so you can see pretty quickly that the rule will do us a dis-service in terms of development if we have a close to fully fit side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back