Discussion Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Acres is no good down back IMO, and I'm not sure Savage will be right for Round 1 will he? That being said, neither Sav nor Billings are on TE latest injury list...

We're a bit shaky at half back, with neither Roberton or Shenton entirely impressing during the NAB, but I'm plumping for Dyl ahead of Cam as his disposal is better.

I also think Saad and Sinclair will be upgraded; so 120th time lucky...

FB: Geary - Delaney - Dempster
HB: Roberton - Fisher - Savage*
CR: Newnes - Weller - Templeton
HF: Billings* - Riewoldt - Saad
FF: Membrey - Bruce - Hickey
RK: Longer - Armitage - Steven
IC: Dunstan Acres Lonie
Sub: Sinclair
I think richo likes playing youngsters in the backline for durations of games so they actually get a defensive mindset into there own game. Similar to Newnes, where he started off there but now pushes in the midfield. Makes them a better footballer. Young kids need to learn to run both ways.

Also kicking under pressure. Once they get the confidence to kick back there they can hit targets anywhere.

Agree, right now the just want quick disposal, but once they learn, the realize they have more time and can take that extra step or 2

I'm interested to see who they end up picking in our forward six. Riewoldt sounds like he will want to play and Bruce would be a lock as the forward ruck. That leaves one or possibly two places for McCartin, White, Membrey and Lee.

Lonie looks terrific and will play by the sounds of it, Saad will be close and I'm not sure if they 'll bring Billings straight in.

Great news about Billings being avail. I reckon he will start as sub. Like a few here I also see quite a bit in Sinclair. A no fuss mid of the Rockcliff variety.

B: Dempster Delaney Geary
HB: Shenton Fisher Savage
C: Steven Armitage Newnes
HF: Membrey Riewoldt Curren
F: Bruce McCartin Lonie
R: Hickey Weller Dunstan
I: Acres Roberton Sinclair
S: Billings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether he debuts in round 1 or not I think we'll be seeing a fair bit of Sinclair. Would not surprise me if he did a Dunstan, I really like the look of him so far.

I'm actually a bit shattered Murds suffered a back injury as I believed this was going to be his year where he settled and cemented a spot in the side.

Injuries suck! :(

Any chance Pierce before Longer? Maybe not, but I liked what I saw of his short time v Hawks.
I reckon they'll give Billings another week.
I'd start White before McCartin, he doesn't need to be rushed. I think Bruce can evolve up forward with Roo there. I wouldn't mind seeing Goddard get his chance but same as McCartin, there's no rush. I'd love a win but am excited to see the young blokes have a dip. Kind of reminds me of 2002, hopefully start to build but could still be about 2 years away. Go saints!

• Billings may be given a light day in the VFL, otherwise maybe sub.
  • Longer and Hickey won't play in the same team.
  • Roberton will play if Savage gets the VFL treatment.
  • Sinclair is close to elevation but Saad is first in line for an upgrade.
  • McCartin will be close to selection but judging by our forward setup in the preseason I can't quite see us playing Riewoldt, Bruce, Membrey/Lee and McCartin just yet.
  • Schneider is an outside chance for elevation with Montagna out but I think we'll be hesitant to use two rookie upgrades early while leaving Sinclair out. I think we're still hopeful Gilbert and Ross can play mid season-ish but Siposs and Ray are likely to be on the LTIL. Do we get one or two nominated rookies at the start of the season?
That would leave us with something like this:

FB: Dempster Delaney Shenton
HB: Savage Fisher Newnes
C: Geary Dunstan Weller
HF: Templeton Riewoldt Saad
FF: Membrey Bruce Lonie

R: Hickey Armitage Steven
INT: Acres Saunders Goddard
SUB: Minchington/Billings

Have Lee and Spence played NAB challenge? I know they played the intra and possibly one NAB but all the same they haven't been regulars and not sure injuries are the reason. By all reports their pre seasons have been solid not missing many sessions. Both unlikely to be considered for round 1 IMO. Paddy seems to be favoured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Billings may be given a light day in the VFL, otherwise maybe sub.
  • Longer and Hickey won't play in the same team.
  • Roberton will play if Savage gets the VFL treatment.
  • Sinclair is close to elevation but Saad is first in line for an upgrade.
  • McCartin will be close to selection but judging by our forward setup in the preseason I can't quite see us playing Riewoldt, Bruce, Membrey/Lee and McCartin just yet.
  • Schneider is an outside chance for elevation with Montagna out but I think we'll be hesitant to use two rookie upgrades early while leaving Sinclair out. I think we're still hopeful Gilbert and Ross can play mid season-ish but Siposs and Ray are likely to be on the LTIL. Do we get one or two nominated rookies at the start of the season?
Billings is best 22
Hickey has shown that he is a credible target up forward. How we get him up front and stay competitive in the ruck is the big question. Neither Bruce nor Lee have shown any aptitude in the ruck. In my opinion there is no way we can avoid dual rucks at this stage unless we are prepared to be uncompetitive in a large percentage of bounces.
Savage has shown enough in his early pre-season form to indicate that last years end of year form was no fluke. He understands his role and seems to be enjoying it. Best 22 for mind.
Saad is definitely ahead of Sinclair in terms of team balance. But Sinclair is super consistent. All his previous coaches list it as one of his most valuable attributes, and I think AR will also value that highly. The output we got from Sinclair last week, is not flash in the pan, but rather deadpan where he is at right now as a footballer...about 15 possessions a game, 8 contested, 2 clearance, 2 tackles and 1 goal/assist per outing. As he adjusts to the pace of AFL that output will only grow. I don't think we will see the same consistency from Lonie. I am fully expecting Sinclair to have gone past Ross, Saunders and Minchington by the start of 2016.
Riewoldt/Bruce are locks in my opinion. McCartin vs Membrey is an interesting one. I think Membrey is ahead of McCartin right now purely due to his physicqal prowess. But McCartin has got waaaay more upside. If I was coach I would say McCartin is quite clearly going to be the man, he's not too far off the pace, so let the education begin now.

Billings is best 22
Hickey has shown that he is a credible target up forward. How we get him up front and stay competitive in the ruck is the big question. Neither Bruce nor Lee have shown any aptitude in the ruck. In my opinion there is no way we can avoid dual rucks at this stage unless we are prepared to be uncompetitive in a large percentage of bounces.
Savage has shown enough in his early pre-season form to indicate that last years end of year form was no fluke. He understands his role and seems to be enjoying it. Best 22 for mind.
Saad is definitely ahead of Sinclair in terms of team balance. But Sinclair is super consistent. All his previous coaches list it as one of his most valuable attributes, and I think AR will also value that highly. The output we got from Sinclair last week, is not flash in the pan, but rather deadpan where he is at right now as a footballer...about 15 possessions a game, 8 contested, 2 clearance, 2 tackles and 1 goal/assist per outing. As he adjusts to the pace of AFL that output will only grow. I don't think we will see the same consistency from Lonie. I am fully expecting Sinclair to have gone past Ross, Saunders and Minchington by the start of 2016.
Riewoldt/Bruce are locks in my opinion. McCartin vs Membrey is an interesting one. I think Membrey is ahead of McCartin right now purely due to his physicqal prowess. But McCartin has got waaaay more upside. If I was coach I would say McCartin is quite clearly going to be the man, he's not too far off the pace, so let the education begin now.
No doubt Savage and Billings are best 22, it's just whether we want to rush them back for round one. We'll probably throw everything at winning our first game so there's a pretty good chance they'll both play. I just employed a cautious approach with my round 1 22 given our spate of hammies and Billings having done multiple hammies in the last 12 months.

I really don't think we'll see two ruckman early in the season. We didn't do it once last year and only tinkered with it once during preseason when Montagna had to get subbed off. While Hickey looked pretty good up forward against the Hawks he still will have to prove it a bit more before we start playing him another pure ruckman. I don't love it, but Bruce and/or Lee will be given time in the ruck a bit this year.

Sinclair will be upgraded this season, it's just a question of when.

F Membrey Bruce McCartin
HF Lonie Riewoldt Saad
C Billings Weller Dunstan
HB Savage Fisher Newnes
B Dempster Delaney Geary
R Hickey Steven Armitage
INT Acres Goddard White
SUB from Shenton Templeton Saunders Curren

6 solid forwards, 6 solid backs, 6 solids mids, and a solid ruck. In today's game though you kinda need 14 mids on the field! Possibly a tad tall and slow, but let's get some games in to them first and see how they go. Next trick is trying to get them playing together fluently.

Have Lee and Spence played NAB challenge? I know they played the intra and possibly one NAB but all the same they haven't been regulars and not sure injuries are the reason. By all reports their pre seasons have been solid not missing many sessions. Both unlikely to be considered for round 1 IMO. Paddy seems to be favoured.

Lee played first game against Brisbane, had 6 disposals, no goals. White didn't play at all.
Heard Lee had his best preseason whilst at the club, but couldn't say the same about White.
Can see Lee maybe as an emergency round 1 but see us going with Reiwoldt, Membry, McCartin & Bruce. Will see big improvements from Membry with Reiwoldt in the side. But during the season (pending on form) I see McCartin being rested and swapped with Lee.

Maybe instead of just looking at our forwards and trying to see who is 'worthy' of the spot, we should look at their backs as well to see how the boys' opposition may impact on their effectiveness..

Riewoldt - Davis: Roo a better player, but coming off a limited preseason.

Bruce/Hickey* - Mohr: Mohr has the big body to play on the resting ruck, but Bruce can stretch him for athleticism and Hickey for height.

McCartin - Corr: Corr's already had the exposure at the level that Paddy lacks, but Paddy's already got bulk and mass over Corr. Means a much fairer fight than he's had recently.

Membrey - Patfull/Haynes/Plowman: Plowman is a very decent footballer, but he's lacking the raw power of Membrey, and Haynes hasn't really got the size. Patfull - the most likely matchup - is a very underrated footballer. He might also get the job on Paddy if he has a big first half.

Curren/Saunders - Shaw/Hampton: Shaw is a very good player on his day, as is Hampton, so these boys will have to make themselves dangerous to keep them busy and stifle their run if we go with a defensive forward.

Saad/Billings/Lonie - Addison/Buntine/Wilson: Most likely of the boys to get a lockdown defender, they will have to work hard and work through the attention.

My view; go all out and try and beat them, not worry about them. Make the running and you put your opponent on the back foot.

Membrey and Roo play as leading half forwards, spreading the defensive structure, and Billings has such a sweet left boot that I want him delivering to the deeper forwards.

Saad would nominally be the forward pocket, he's so quick I'd be happy to see him chasing F50 entries from high half forward. He's also a big enough kick to have shots from distance.

Paddy is the leading full forward, while Bruce/Hickey are the 'get out' kick to the top of the square.

HF: Saad ~ Membrey ~ Riewoldt ~ Billings

FF: McCartin ~ Bruce/Hickey​

Last edited:
Lee played first game against Brisbane, had 6 disposals, no goals. White didn't play at all.
Heard Lee had his best preseason whilst at the club, but couldn't say the same about White.
Can see Lee maybe as an emergency round 1 but see us going with Reiwoldt, Membry, McCartin & Bruce. Will see big improvements from Membry with Reiwoldt in the side. But during the season (pending on form) I see McCartin being rested and swapped with Lee.

Yup pretty much the point I was making. Both Lee and Spence haven't had the lead up to round 1 that suggests they will be picked whereas Paddy certainly has.

Also, Spence apparently had his best pre season at the club and even did additional training to improve his fitness.

Yup pretty much the point I was making. Both Lee and Spence haven't had the lead up to round 1 that suggests they will be picked whereas Paddy certainly has.

Also, Spence apparently had his best pre season at the club and even did additional training to improve his fitness.

Not hard to have your best pre-season at the club when it is your first full one in three years at the club.

People forget that with Spence I think sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back