Discussion Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

He wasn't terrible

He had 19 possessions .... He played well in fact... Hickey that is...

It's just as a ruckman Mumford was too strong with his 18 poss he got 46 hitouts

Ahh... The overrated stat

It's funny, Ben was a woeful ruckman because although he was great around the ground, he couldn't win taps...

The argument changes to suit

In the first three rounds last year... Hickey won only 30% of ruck contest... Ranked at the bottom

I don't rate Hickey... Because of what I've seen (in more than one game) he's been far from impressive.
Not fast, nor big and strong or aggressive, can't jump high or take strong marks... Whilst he kicked 3 in one game... He's hardly had a shot in 25 others
Most good ruckmen in the AFL have an outstanding quality... What's his

Just as a quick aside, haven't we done nicely out of the rookie drafts recently: Temps, Mav, Sinks. I loved hearing how Sinclair talked about Mav as being a teacher already - I think we've got a real keeper in Top Gun.

Probably the best rookie return we've ever had. I've noticed Weller has been really liked by the club. I spotted up on the GC attending the draft with Richo. Now in the leadership group, he's doing everything right.

Shenton should never play AFL football again. Can't kick.

Couldn't be more wrong. He's a great kick. Pre-season, everyone is rusty, including decision making.

My personal opinion on billings is that he demonstrated after a couple of games that he's a cut above VFL and I think he's one who adapts to the level he is playing in.

However I do think we over played him in the seniors last year and he needed to go back to the VFL more than he did, probably due to injuries.

I hope this year we send him back to the VFL when he's not ready, when his form slumps or when he's absolutely cooked.

Yeah, I don't know. From my perspective, I think Hickey came out at least on par with Mummy in last year's game (although one notable poster will go into extensive, painful detail to say he was terrible that day - I leave him to do so if he wishes). And if we go in with two rucks, then that either means that one plays as second forward, and I'd much rather Bruce up there; or it means one less mid in the rotations - and that's gonna make it much harder for the rucks, no matter how many rucks play.

Is ANY team going in with 2 rucks who can't play forward any more?

Stevan Martin is extremely versatile

One of the most athletic players at Brisbane

Last year he was almost a ruck rover

Didn't Martin go into the ruck because Luenberger was injured?
Yep. They had no one else outside of Martin and a Skinny ruckman. Leuenberger went down, then West did.

Martin apparently was playing crap NEAFL footy then bang at AFL level when he got called up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello Sainters,
I was wondering why you are all including Lonie *70Kg* in the Saints best 22? Its his first year, he is also only 70kg wringing wet! He is listed as a forward and while I don't doubt you think he has talent, the Saints will get the ball in their forward line only a little bit more than the Eagles this year. Why are you all so bullish on his SC ability. I really want to believe, but I need some convincing. I just don't think he is SC relevant.
Thankyou, it will be an interesting conversation.
Kind regards.

(good to see Clint Jones get another gig if the bombers go down. I like Jonsey. Plays a role!)

Hello Sainters,
I was wondering why you are all including Lonie *70Kg* in the Saints best 22? Its his first year, he is also only 70kg wringing wet! He is listed as a forward and while I don't doubt you think he has talent, the Saints will get the ball in their forward line only a little bit more than the Eagles this year. Why are you all so bullish on his SC ability. I really want to believe, but I need some convincing. I just don't think he is SC relevant.
Kind regards.

(good to see Clint Jones get another gig if the bombers go down. I like Jonsey. Plays a role!)
There is a serious lack of competition for spots as small forwards or mids right now so he will get a game on his excellent preseason. Eli Templeton did it last year -he looked too thin to be a tooth pick.

There is a serious lack of competition for spots as small forwards or mids right now so he will get a game on his excellent preseason. Eli Templeton did it last year -he looked too thin to be a tooth pick.
Would have thought Ahmed Saad would keep him out. Saad, would be as hungry as me after an 8 hour fast! :D

My final go before next week. Barring injury, this is what I'd go for (same as I've put in Fiji's thread):
Best 22.png

• That's a young team. The blue represents players with about 30-60 games. The reds are debutants or close to it. (Billings is red and Dunstan's blue, just because I think Luke has the more mature body, but hey, he should probably be red, too).
  • I reckon we'll back that backline, and pretty much that forward line. Where we REALLY need every scrap of help is in the midfield. That's why the 3 interchange players are all mids - even Minch, really. Curren as a mid, either releasing Mav to not have to tag, or as a ball winner himself. Acres because they'll play him no matter what, just to hurry him up to 50 games asap. Minch over Sinclair, Shenton, etc, because he's got good disposal and yikes we need it. Saunders because somebody has to replace Montagna.
  • That Centre line... oy vey... we needs Joey back Round 2, is all I can say.
  • I reckon they'll want to play Lonie straight away, given all the talk about him in interviews, etc. But given how young and tiny he is, I reckon he's a cert to be kermit.
  • Membrey wins over Lee for the third tall. Bruce wins as 2nd tall/ruck, over White or Lee as talls, and Longer or Pierce as rucks.
  • Wright will probably come in at Round 2, and either Minch or Curren will make way, while Newnes will then come into the midfield instead of HBF. Saunders will make way for Joey.
  • Could be better... could be worse

Last edited:
Hello Sainters,
Kind regards.

Jake Neade says hi.

& Lonie scored a ton in nab challenge, that's why his in so many teams, we need all the young talent we can get.

Would have thought Ahmed Saad would keep him out. Saad, would be as hungry as me after an 8 hour fast! :D
Can have both. Saad for genuine pressure and crumbing. Lonie closer to a silky HFF. Might already be top 5 for his 'step' and kicking. Might make up for his bulk, we hope, particularly given some of this is lacking elsewhere!

The way Bruce is moving around the ground. I think he could be effective in the ruck. Hes quicker than all our rucks put together..
Pierce looked good in tge ruck but he still needs time..
and those guys saying hickey cant play.. pull your heads in.. let him get fully fit first b4 you write him off. hes got talent hes still young for a ruckman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back