Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This board is quite funny.
2021 - we need a full rebuild. Too many old players. Play the kids and go to the draft
2022-23 development years
Round 2, 2024 - these kids suck

Going to the draft is not always the silver bullet many assume. It's a sum of parts that very few clubs get right.

TIME FOR KID.

NOT CURRENT KID.

NEW KID.

I think, based on the current form, they would beat us. Quite easily, as well. Hopefully, we can turn things around before round 6.
What current form? They got smashed by GWS and, again, gave up a 60 point turnaround to Freo. We should have beaten Bombers if it wasn't for our poor goal kicking and despite Melbourne's midfield dominance, still kept them under 100 points. How exactly would North "quite easily" beat us?

I think, based on the current form, they would beat us. Quite easily, as well. Hopefully, we can turn things around before round 6.
We should have beaten Essendon but for poor goal kicking. North also could have lost by 70-80 against GWS again but for goal kicking

Over 2 games we have had 3 more scoring shots and conceded 18 less than North.

Last edited:

Pose the question. Are our centre square mids purely out of form, or are they trying to implement a coaching tactic with their set-up that they can not get right?

A lot of blame (warranted) on the players. Not much on midfield coach and senior coach.

Surely one of the great midfielders (Sam) can see after 2 CB clearances what is wrong and not working, and then look to change it up within 5 minutes. Regardless of who is in there!

Or is he trying (stubbornly) to run a new tactic that isn't working at the moment, but sticking with it, no matter how badly it going with the hope they can get it right.

This week will be a close watch.

Did I read somewhere about some angst in the coach's box between Sam and Hickmott? mmm.
You are presuming that a player who played in a midfield that got it right a hell of a lot of the time would be able to solve the problems of a midfield that’s getting it wrong for a few bounces.

1. We can’t send messages out whenever we want any more;

2. Just because it’s identified on a Monday by football analysts in a post mortem doesn’t mean it was easily identifiable “in the run”

3. Even if it was obvious in the day, maybe Sam isn’t the type of coach who can appreciate how to react / adjust - due partly to inexperience as a coach, but also playing in a team which regularly had things go its way and didn’t often have to adjust.

What current form? They got smashed by GWS and, again, gave up a 60 point turnaround to Freo. We should have beaten Bombers if it wasn't for our poor goal kicking and despite Melbourne's midfield dominance, still kept them under 100 points. How exactly would North "quite easily" beat us?
You're speaking in hypotheticals as am I. Unfortunately, I've watched all 4 games in question and I believe their form line is stronger than ours.

Can we stop comparing ourselves to the tin rattlers from Arden st.
All the help in the world and are still rubbish and will continue to be.

Geez I hope we wreck fat boy Hawkins 350th this week.
Tin rattlers is old school, Shinbeggars moving forward please

Take a look at our 2021 list. We’ve done incredibly well not to end up like North or West coast considering we’ve turned over more than half our list since then.

We wouldn’t have 22 players to field a side that have been on the list more than 3 years and that includes Gunston, Bruest and Wingard who only have 1-2 seasons left. We need some perspective here- it’s tough but the rebuild will take time and we’re on the right track…
We’ve turned over more than 40 players since the end of 2020. It’s an insanely high turnover and we’ve done really well to build a young competitive list and maintain a culture in such a short period.

Last week it was Lever and May and this week its Hawkins and Cameron. Even if Philips is given a cap imagine being given the option to pick one of those two to defend against.

The midfield will need to be accountable so the ball doesn't come back that often.

Fascinated to see what we do this week in regards to Hawkins, Cameron, Henry and Dempsey.
You would think the Easy comes in for a game against Hawkins due to his height and size - otherwise you have Frost playing on Hawkins and Scrimshaw on Cameron.
During the pre season, before Blanck went down with his injury, the backline had 2 key defenders, Sicily, Scrimshaw, Weddle, Amon and Impey. If we trained that structure for a while, you imagine we give it a shot at some stage.

If I were you, now would be the time I'd throw Croc into the midfield rotation even for 30-40% of the game. Elite in close and offers a different dynamic. You're well covered up forward now so why TH not.
Disagree. Croc has had a few runs in the middle this year and doesn't pay enough credit to opposition. In the last quarter when he was in there he was giving Petracca way too much room and was often caught offensive side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were you, now would be the time I'd throw Croc into the midfield rotation even for 30-40% of the game. Elite in close and offers a different dynamic. You're well covered up forward now so why TH not.
He's horrendous with centre bounce positioning at present. But I agree, it's only a matter of time.

Pose the question. Are our centre square mids purely out of form, or are they trying to implement a coaching tactic with their set-up that they can not get right?

A lot of blame (warranted) on the players. Not much on midfield coach and senior coach.

Surely one of the great midfielders (Sam) can see after 2 CB clearances what is wrong and not working, and then look to change it up within 5 minutes. Regardless of who is in there!

Or is he trying (stubbornly) to run a new tactic that isn't working at the moment, but sticking with it, no matter how badly it going with the hope they can get it right.

This week will be a close watch.

Did I read somewhere about some angst in the coach's box between Sam and Hickmott? mmm.
This was probably to do with playing Dimma forward nothing to do with the mids

We’ve turned over more than 40 players since the end of 2020. It’s an insanely high turnover and we’ve done really well to build a young competitive list and maintain a culture in such a short period.
The turnover even from the end of 2021 is also pretty crazy, as evidenced by the PCM 2021 results and those voted.
17 of the 35 who polled below no longer in the brown and gold.

Tom MITCHELL161
Blake HARDWICK126
Jaeger O’MEARA121
Dylan MOORE101
Chad WINGARD100
Sam FROST95
Daniel HOWE83
Changkuoth JIATH79
James WORPEL74
Liam SHIELS74
Luke BREUST73
Jack SCRIMSHAW70
Kyle HARTIGAN69
Ben McEVOY67
Jacob KOSCHITZKE63
Jonathon CEGLAR57
Jarman IMPEY54
Tom PHILLIPS48
Mitchell LEWIS47
Tim O’BRIEN45
Harry MORRISON42
Shaun BURGOYNE41
Lachlan BRAMBLE41
Will DAY30
Conor NASH22
Tyler BROCKMAN19
James COUSINS17
Oliver HANRAHAN*13
Jai NEWCOMBE12
Denver GRAINGER-BARRAS10
Damon GREAVES*9
Ned REEVES*8
Michael HARTLEY7
Joshua MORRIS1
Finn MAGINNESS1

Votes for the 2021 Peter Crimmins Medal were awarded by four groups after each home-and-away match; Senior Coach Alastair Clarkson, Assistant Coach Brendon Bolton, Assistant Coach Chris Newman and Assistant Coach Craig McRae.

They threw Croc in the middle against Melbourne - his positioning at the centre bounces was shocking- got sucked into the contest repeatedly and we got burned out the back horribly… he’ll learn from it though he wasnt the only one…

They threw Croc in the middle against Melbourne - his positioning at the centre bounces was shocking- got sucked into the contest repeatedly and we got burned out the back horribly… he’ll learn from it though he wasnt the only one…
Two weeks in a row it has happened where he has been played as the midfielder defensive side. Both weeks he has pushed in but not been able to impact the contest. Petracca got it and kicked to Fritsch last week, while the weekend before Gresham's goal to seal that game was almost a carbon copy from Croc.

I like the fact the media is on Sam and the coaching panels back, as now they have to come out and show what they have. So I am expecting an unlikely win or at least getting close to it, another lacklustre performance will have us questioning if we do have the right coaches to lead us to where we want to go.

Two weeks in a row it has happened where he has been played as the midfielder defensive side. Both weeks he has pushed in but not been able to impact the contest. Petracca got it and kicked to Fritsch last week, while the weekend before Gresham's goal to seal that game was almost a carbon copy from Croc.
Surely if anyone can coach bad habits in the centre bounces out of them it’s Sam Mitchell - he’s one of the greatest clearance players of all time!

Only a few weeks until we find out I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back