Preview Round 4, 2023: Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG 3:20pm Easter Monday 10th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeing Frost doing well up forward for that short stint last year, very least I reckon we need to experiment more with a swingman – whether that be him, Scrimshaw, Hardwick or esp Sicily when we're desperate.
Haha imagine if frosty comes good as a fwd!

They will never do it but if it worked it would take the league by storm. Everybody loves him

Last edited:
When Reeves gets it right his taps are elite.
Potentially the best tap ruckman we have had for a long while.
Just needs to get it right more often. Confidence and experience the key.
He’s already elite for tap win %. Running at 55% this year. Puts him above Gawn and Grundy.

Teams announced tonight at 5pm. Blanck to play VFL as he's still recovering from dental surgery which had him playing in pain for the first few weeks, Chad will be back in the team for Monday in some capacity

Good news on Blanck, for his sake and the team's. He did look out of sorts in his starts this year.

Who is going to man Hawkins? He's been a thorn in our side for a while now, hopefully we've got a plan to make sure we don't play him into form.

Did they name Weddle to play on a particular player or forward?

Will Kosi play, or will we go small in our forward line? Even if he does will we be more potent?

I feel like the two smalls we didn't name are worth a shot alongside Brockman and Wingard at some stage, just to mix things up and see if we can't get goals from all of them with extra pressure and mobility.

Hard to see where a winning score is coming from without some kind of plan to make our forward line more dangerous.

I'm a big Reeves fan. He's ranked elite for winning hit outs. He's part of the reason our clearance works improving. Obviously needs to build his around the ground work.

Anyone doubting what he can add to the side needs to rewatch his first quarter last Easter Monday (prior to injury). We can score directly from his tapwork, that's rare.

As for Meek, he's been really underwhelming. Below average or average in every category. But given Reeves' aerobic capacity at present, we need a second ruck. Lynch must be close to taking Meeks place.
Likewise. I am happy with how Reeves is progressing. Meek has been disappointing. You’d think he gets a few more games but Lynch will deserve a run if Meek doesn’t improve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Likewise. I am happy with how Reeves is progressing. Meek has been disappointing. You’d think he gets a few more games but Lynch will deserve a run if Meek doesn’t improve
I like Meek too but given what Lynch was able to offer forwards at times last year, and in the VFL, it's only a matter of time unless Meeky picks up the pace.

I like Meek too but given what Lynch was able to offer forwards at times last year, and in the VFL, it's only a matter of time unless Meeky picks up the pace.

Meek barely played at Freo and is learning his way at a new club. Im happy for him to have some time to settle in.

Good news on Blanck, for his sake and the team's. He did look out of sorts in his starts this year.

Who is going to man Hawkins? He's been a thorn in our side for a while now, hopefully we've got a plan to make sure we don't play him into form.

Will Kosi play, or will we go small in our forward line? Even if he does will we be more potent?

I feel like the two smalls we didn't name are worth a shot alongside Brockman and Wingard at some stage, just to mix things up and see if we can't get goals from all of them with extra pressure and mobility.

Hard to see where a winning score is coming from without some kind of plan to make our forward line more dangerous.
Last year Frosty went to Hawkins and Sicily went to Cameron and they both did a wonderful job. I imagine Scrimma is the one filling the hole in front of both those players to take an intercept mark.

Weddle was likely to have either been on the bench or used as the tactical sub, where he'd have been given a 30 minute burst to use his speed and running against tired legs.

At this stage, I believe that Kosi won't be back in the side for Monday. He travelled down to Tassie with the team last weekend, however with no VFL game it's hard for him to have not played at any level for almost a fortnight.

Think the score comes about from Brocky and Ferg being used as leading forwards with the midfield lowering their eyes, which was used to good effect last week against the Roos.

Here's what ChatGPT suggests 🤣

Some potential Hawthorn defenders who could play on Hawkins include:

1. James Sicily - a versatile and agile defender who is known for his ability to intercept mark and read the play.
  2. Sam Frost - a strong and physical defender who is good at one-on-one contests and can match up against tall forwards like Hawkins.
  3. Tim O'Brien - a tall defender who has shown promising signs in recent seasons and could potentially match up against Hawkins.

Last year Frosty went to Hawkins and Sicily went to Cameron and they both did a wonderful job. I imagine Scrimma is the one filling the hole in front of both those players to take an intercept mark.

Weddle was likely to have either been on the bench or used as the tactical sub, where he'd have been given a 30 minute burst to use his speed and running against tired legs.

At this stage, I believe that Kosi won't be back in the side for Monday. He travelled down to Tassie with the team last weekend, however with no VFL game it's hard for him to have not played at any level for almost a fortnight.

Think the score comes about from Brocky and Ferg being used as leading forwards with the midfield lowering their eyes, which was used to good effect last week against the Roos.

I think we've tried to lower the eyes against Geelong for a good decade and a half now, but never really nailed it. Mitch Lewis level clunking has kept their tails more honest at times, but traditionally it's an intercept fest for their tall backs. Last week was OK on that front. Not a long term fix though I don't reckon.

I remember last year's game pretty well, going to be interesting to see if Frosty can handle the out of form Hawkins, and Sic can get on top of Cameron. But more importantly, whether our young mids are on top of their core.

I hope Brockman gets going again this week, we look better with him in.

Almost spat my coffee out when I saw him as an in, Box Hill form suggested he was going to play back even if he was the sub. Bummed he rolled the ankle.

Here's what ChatGPT suggests 🤣

Some potential Hawthorn defenders who could play on Hawkins include:

1. James Sicily - a versatile and agile defender who is known for his ability to intercept mark and read the play.
  2. Sam Frost - a strong and physical defender who is good at one-on-one contests and can match up against tall forwards like Hawkins.
  3. Tim O'Brien - a tall defender who has shown promising signs in recent seasons and could potentially match up against Hawkins.
To be fair, ChatGPT has only used data up to 2021 hence the TOB reference. Sadly with him no longer being at the club, we miss the opportunity to see Hawkins use him like a toothpick like Anthony Rocca did to Zac Dawson that fateful day

If you’re umming ahhhing about turning up Monday - show up. Show the boys support and demonstrate to the afl that we are a strong MCG tenant irrespective of ladder position.
I’d love to but I came down with COVID on Thursday so I have to remain in iso. My only consolation is I believe I can lay claim to having the worst sore throat ever experienced by man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back