Preview Round 4, 2023: Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG 3:20pm Easter Monday 10th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big Reeves fan. He's ranked elite for winning hit outs. He's part of the reason our clearance works improving. Obviously needs to build his around the ground work.

Anyone doubting what he can add to the side needs to rewatch his first quarter last Easter Monday (prior to injury). We can score directly from his tapwork, that's rare.

As for Meek, he's been really underwhelming. Below average or average in every category. But given Reeves' aerobic capacity at present, we need a second ruck. Lynch must be close to taking Meeks place.

Last edited:
I'm a big Reeves fan. He's ranked elite for winning hit outs. He's a reason our clearance works improving. Obviously needs to build his around the ground work.

Anyone doubting what he can add to the side needs to rewatch his first quarter last Easter Monday (prior to injury). We can score directly from his tapwork, that's rare.

As for Meek, he's been really underwhelming. Below average or average in every category. But given Reeves' aerobic capacity at present, we need a second ruck. Lynch must be close to taking Meeks place.
What’s the likelihood of his aerobic capacity ever reaching a level where we can get away with a pinch hitting second ruck? Is it something that’s likely to improve considerably over time?

What’s the likelihood of his aerobic capacity ever reaching a level where we can get away with a pinch hitting second ruck? Is it something that’s likely to improve considerably over time?

Others might be better positioned to answer this, but I'd hope it's just a case of more pre-seasons.

Sandi faced the same issues, and overtime it was no longer a thing.

Just got to keep getting games into Reeves. No idea where this ruck hysteria has come from this week.

Reeves and Meek are going to feast on Easter Monday, I’m certain.

Last time we played these freaks, Reeves looked like he was about to play the best game we’ve had from a Hawthorn ruck since Spider was kicking around.

I actually think Meek has been okay this year. Of course it’s going to take some time to gel with our young midfield.

Genuinely can’t remember the last time I felt so good about our ruck stocks. Weird to see so much discourse from where I am.

Yes I think it's fair to say that assuming each team has a full component of rucks to choose from (discounting injury) any combination of current ability Reeves, Meek and Lynch will struggle to hold their own against the Nakvervises, Gawns, Darcy's, Goldstein, English, Witt's, etc of the AFL.

I admit I have probably gone to hard to early on Meek given it's only round 3 but I don't think it's unreasonable to observe that he hasn't set the world on fire so far at the Hawks given he is already a reasonably mature ruck with AFL experience (just look at what Nankervis did when he moved to the Tiges from Sydney and he was only 23 at the time).

I think we should let this one be for now and reassess mid year, an 11 game sample size will tell us a fair bit about where we sit re our current ruck stocks Reeves and Meek are going to feast on Easter Monday, I’m certain.
Last time we played these freaks, Reeves looked like he was about to play the best game we’ve had from a Hawthorn ruck since Spider was kicking around.

I actually think Meek has been okay this year. Of course it’s going to take some time to gel with our young midfield.

Genuinely can’t remember the last time I felt so good about our ruck stocks. Weird to see so much discourse from where I am.

Yes Meek has been pretty average so far this season but I fully expect him to improve significantly as the season progressing. It’s a pretty big jump going from WAFL to AFL, he will be fine. Won’t ever be a world beater but should become more than serviceable

As for Reeves, pretty much the same. Slow start to the season but he is still coming back from a pretty serious shoulder injury from last year. I see his ceiling as being on par with Jarryd Witts who I really rate. If he can get to that level we will have a very formidable midfield

Had a look at their ages, my God they've got a ton of old blokes playing on Monday. They type of profile that young sides can get a hold of. Their cliff is so close you can touch it.
85ee0084cf1aa6551d6072c71bec2e3a.png

Just added two 30+ year olds to their squad

Had a look at their ages, my God they've got a ton of old blokes playing on Monday. They type of profile that young sides can get a hold of. Their cliff is so close you can touch it.
Lets not go too early here tbh.
We have an age/experience profile most teams would fancy getting a hold of.

They will come good and play finals and wont play as poorly as last week.

We just need another improve on the intensity and performance we showed last week ( against a team in our own weight division )

No chance given how much better we looked with him back in defence.
I agree he added a lot of class and composure back there. But for me our lack of marking power up forward is a real concern. Lewis is the one single player we couldn't afford to lose. Was hoping Meeks could play that role but so far doesn't look up to it, and don't think Kosi has barely even taken a mark so he's really out of sorts. If Greene can get his accuracy sorted, he's a potential 50 goal player, so at least he's something to work with - esp given he's come from nowhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a big Reeves fan. He's ranked elite for winning hit outs. He's part of the reason our clearance works improving. Obviously needs to build his around the ground work.

His tapwork is sublime so I hold high hopes for this guy

Seeing Frost doing well up forward for that short stint last year, very least I reckon we need to experiment more with a swingman – whether that be him, Scrimshaw, Hardwick or esp Sicily when we're desperate.

I felt Meek was stronger in the first two rounds than Reeves. I don't believe Lynch is close to taking Meeks spot at all.

The positive is that Max Lynch is such an effort based ruck and quite athletic. If injury strikes one of Reeves or Meek then we have a great replacement ready to step up. Max didn't get much of a chance to play as a genuine second ruck last season but I feel he'd be far more suited to that than being the number 1 guy.

I agree he added a lot of class and composure back there. But for me our lack of marking power up forward is a real concern. Lewis is the one single player we couldn't afford to lose. Was hoping Meeks could play that role but so far doesn't look up to it, and don't think Kosi has barely even taken a mark so he's really out of sorts. If Greene can get his accuracy sorted, he's a potential 50 goal player, so at least he's something to work with - esp given he's come from nowhere.

I actually really liked the look of Newcombe as an undersized CHF at times last weekend.

I agree with Lewis, he's been a huge loss so far.

Reeves will be playing as our main ruck for the forseeable furture. The coaches are pretty happy with his progress in the Ruck. The players themselves have mentioned the same.
Hodgeyroad dislikes this.

Meek has a turning circle of a truck and pulls out of the contest.
I would rather develop DGB and play a pinch hit mobile second ruckmen. example Frost.
I can see this happening once Lewis Returns, the presurre work in the forward 50 was high last week and a reason why we won.
Having a permant ruck in the 50 with Lewis would have a negative impact on that.

Last edited:
My understanding of basic ruckmanshippery as it pertains to this website is that practically all ruckmen are spuds and plodders, until one day when suddenly they're not. Some of them anyway.
Nah not really.

My theory is that two good rucks going against each other essentially nullify each other's impact .

But if you get a good ruck up against a not so good ruck then they can have an impact.

And if you get a very good/elite ruck up against a not so good ruck they can win the match (just think of all the times Gawn has enviscerated us the last 6 years).

There are actually plenty of good rucks going around the leauge at the moment that's why it's vital we get, at the bare minimum, competitive in this position.

Because frankly it gets monotonous watching opposition rucks having career games against us every second week.

Nah not really.

My theory is that two good rucks going against each other essentially nullify each other's impact .

But if you get a good ruck up against a not so good ruck then they can have an impact.

And if you get a very good/elite ruck up against a not so good ruck they can win the match (just think of all the times Gawn has enviscerated us the last 6 years).

There are actually plenty of good rucks going around the leauge at the moment that's why it's vital we get, at the bare minimum, competitive in this position.

Because frankly it gets monotonous watching opposition rucks having career games against us every second week.
that hasn't really happened this season yet. Statistically Ladhams, Draper and Phillips all had their worst games this season vs our rucks. Goldy was good but he's always pretty good. It did happen a lot last year obviously, but it's pretty easy for full-time rucks to beat down on Kosi and Nash haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back