Sam Mitchell Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

"Too slow, carried by his teammates, wouldn't get a game at Carlton or any of the 17 other clubs but is a champion" - Wayne 'Kerr" Carey

He is the TARDIS of modern footy - completely messes with the laws of time and space whenever he has ball in hand. :thumbsu:

He also has a compassionate side... how else could we explain his minor brain-fart in the recent Carlton game when he misdirected a pass into their goal-square, gifting them a goal. o_O

Sammy is a blonde anvil with the footwork of a ballerina. What he can do in traffic to create space and calm in the whirlwind of a contest is otherworldly. He's not slowing down, he's getting better.

Sammy Mitchell is gun but all those haters clearly dont follow footy! Sam is probs the best no. 5 in the history of the game! He would have a brownlow if dons hadnt have ****ed it up. We all know he deserves it. He is one of the modt consistant players in the comp over a long period of time. He tackles hard (take notes Duck), makes time stand still with the ball in hand and racks up the possesions as if he is the only player on the oval!!!

Planned to update this after the year is over but thought we could all use some good distractions after the weekend:

• Sam MItchell has cracked the top 10 on all time disposals, passing Ian Nankervis (Leigh Matthews is next!)

Also:
  • He has moved to 16th in all time tackles
  • He has passed Goodwin, Cousins and Buckley to be 17th for inside 50's
  • He has moved into the top 10 for goal assists, passing a few including Simon Black and Paul Chapman.
Well done on another great Home and Away Season Sam, who (at 32) finished:
  • 3rd in Herald Sun Player of the Year
  • 2nd in 3AW Player of the year
  • 6th In Age Player of the Year
  • 8th in Coaches votes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Planned to update this after the year is over but thought we could all use some good distractions after the weekend:

• Sam MItchell has cracked the top 10 on all time disposals, passing Ian Nankervis (Leigh Matthews is next!)

Also:
  • He has moved to 16th in all time tackles
  • He has passed Goodwin, Cousins and Buckley to be 17th for inside 50's
  • He has moved into the top 10 for goal assists, passing a few including Simon Black and Paul Chapman.
Well done on another great Home and Away Season Sam, who (at 32) finished:
  • 3rd in Herald Sun Player of the Year
  • 2nd in 3AW Player of the year
  • 6th In Age Player of the Year
  • 8th in Coaches votes
meh, still wouldn't get a game in any other team though...

As a lone hand in another brilliant final from Sam, he now:

• Has had 29+ touches 13 times from just 19 finals. (Bartel is next best with 10 times in 26 finals)
  • Has had 30+ touches 9 times in finals, moving clear of Ablett and Bartel on 8. Incidentally, at the same time, he has moved 1 clear of Ablett (to 3rd) for 30+ possession games overall, making it his 103rd time.
As these stats suggest, no player in the history of the game has averaged more of the ball in finals as Sam Mitchell.

After 300 games, the top five possession winners of all time are/were:

1. Robert Harvey 7914
2. Scott West 7589
3. Kevin Bartlett 7436
4. Tony Shaw 7421
5. Craig Bradley 7115

Sam Mitchell, after 282 games is on 7341. Once he has played 18 more games (touch wood) he is a shoe in for 2nd at least. He needs to average 32 possessions to claim No1 from Harvey.

A legend of the club and the game. So unbelievably under appreciated. I just cannot understand why. He is the second best hawthorn player I have seen behind Dunstall. And he's closing that gap.

I fully expect him to last several more years. Why not? He has never been quick. It simply does not matter. His speed doesn't change but he is forever learning, forever evolving. The smartest and most committed footballer I've seen.

Has all the hallmarks of a brilliant coach too. The challenge for him when that time comes will be whether he can manage people who don't live footy like he does. The same issue Buckley has faced.

I thought I could never appreciate another hawk players besides Crawfs but Sammy is just waaaaaay beyond a lot of players that have been at the club...undervalued, criticised, too old too slow ... Too bloody smart!

He is a phenomenal footballer. Another lazy 33 vs crows and he utterly dominated that second quarter. Averages over 28 disposals a match in finals o_O.

Another AA to add to the pile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back