Sam Weideman; should we have made a play for him?

Remove this Banner Ad

greening22

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2008
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NEWCASTLE; JUVENTUS;
I have read earlier tonight that Melbourne are considering a trade in relation to Sam Weideman with Essendon in order to secure a higher draft selection. I am wondering if Collingwood should have made a play for him or not. Perhaps we did not have the selection/s that would have orchestrated a trade. Regardless - being the grandson of a former Collingwood legend (Murray) & the son of a former player (Mark) - I am wondering what other contributors to this site think. I know that he has been in & out of Melbourne's senior team in recent years but he obviously possesses some ability & is essentially a key forward. Or has he been too inconsistent to warrant such consideration? Any comments?

Absolutely no for a couple of reasons:

1. He didn’t support collingwood growing up. Not sure how that is possible when you’re grand father was a 2x premiership player at the pies, a premiership captain, a life member, a member of the team of century. His father also played for collingwood. Really makes you wonder how that happened but to me makes sense when you see how soft he is on field.

2. He had the chance to play for us at the end of 2021. We were circling all year and he chose to keep playing 2s and re-sign at Melbourne than to get traded to us.

He’s the antithesis to what we are looking for; the opposite of McStay. He doesn’t impact the contest at all, he either marks it or he’s next to useless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely not. No mongrel in him.

We already have more than enough recycled/project tall forwards, none of them A-graders.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back