Science/Environment Sausages and bacon - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

The International Agency for Research on Cancer has added processed meat to the same group 1 category of cancer-causing agents as tobacco smoke and asbestos. Unprocessed red meat has been classified as a probable carcinogen in its group 2A list that also contains glyphosate, the active ingredient in many weedkillers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-27/processed-meats-cause-cancer-says-un-agency/6886882

Will sausages and bacon be banned? Will supermarkets be forced to keep them in a locked cabinet and sell them in plain packages?

I see a few snags in that ham-fisted approach. There's clearly a lot at steak here.
It's like everything if you have continuously have large amounts of it of course it will be bad for you. Most people have no self control now days

Apparently today is World Vegan Day. It has caused a bit of a fuss in Ireland.

It started when a young woman called Tee Jay wrote a scathing review of a café in Dublin called the White Moose because it did not cater to vegans. The café’s owner, Paul Stenson, hit back with a post on Facebook that stated he would be happy, with some advance notice, to cater to “idiosyncratic dietary requirements”, but Tee Jay misunderstood and got angry about having her beliefs judged “idiotic”.

Needless to say it did not end there. As Tee Jay started to rally the troops and a Facebook page called People Against the White Moose Café sprung up, Stenson hit back with “All vegans barred”.​

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...vegan-food-is-one-best-won-with-a6716611.html
Yeah, cause of course if a non-vegetarian demanded a vegan restaurant serve meat they'd accommodate. That's the one in general with Vegans, they go anywhere and crack the shits if there's no vegan option, yet never reciprocate and provide a meat option for non-vegans at any event they host. Double standards.

Last edited:
I always wonder do they take into account with these claims that every living thing dies anyway or do they think humans live forever or something? Like at what point do you die of old age? or is it always something that prevents ya from getting the died of old age tag on ya toe. like if you die from diabetes in your 90s is that old age of diabetes killed ya?

you often see the statistics pop up about the land usage, water usage and other things that seem to make red meat production not particularly usage or protein-efficient. this and the reasons in the OP are why i prefer healthy, tasty, factory-farmed chicken.

Can anyone see a candidate from the political left calling for a tax on Sausages and Bacon?

My bet It will be some dolt from the Greens, probably SHY.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer has added processed meat to the same group 1 category of cancer-causing agents as tobacco smoke and asbestos. Unprocessed red meat has been classified as a probable carcinogen in its group 2A list that also contains glyphosate, the active ingredient in many weedkillers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-27/processed-meats-cause-cancer-says-un-agency/6886882

Will sausages and bacon be banned? Will supermarkets be forced to keep them in a locked cabinet and sell them in plain packages?

I see a few snags in that ham-fisted approach. There's clearly a lot at steak here.
Strange the names MacDonalds and KFC were not mentioned in any of their reports?

you often see the statistics pop up about the land usage, water usage and other things that seem to make red meat production not particularly usage or protein-efficient. this and the reasons in the OP are why i prefer healthy, tasty, factory-farmed chicken.
Nice breasts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been a vegetarian for twenty years - I find it mystifying why meat-eaters hate people who have made a personal choice for ethical reasons.
Trying to sleep with a vegetarian chick?

Think you're meant to cook them for about 30min while making sure to keep turning the sausages over so they are cooked even. Bacon can vary depending on how crispy you want it.

Eat bacon, it's good for the environment.

Eating a healthier diet rich in fruit and vegetables could actually be more harmful to the environment than consuming some meat, a US study has claimed.

Lettuce is “over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon”, according to researchers from the Carnegie Mellon University who analysed the impact per calorie of different foods in terms of energy cost, water use and emissions.​

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ree-times-worse-emissions-bacon-a6773671.html

Eat bacon, it's good for the environment.

Eating a healthier diet rich in fruit and vegetables could actually be more harmful to the environment than consuming some meat, a US study has claimed.

Lettuce is “over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon”, according to researchers from the Carnegie Mellon University who analysed the impact per calorie of different foods in terms of energy cost, water use and emissions.​

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ree-times-worse-emissions-bacon-a6773671.html

Poorly written article.

You don't eat lettuce to get your caloric intake, you eat it for taste, nutrient and fibre value (same can be said for the other veggies named in the article; eggplant, cucumber and celery).

To get an equivalent amount of calories as you would from 4 rashers of bacon you are looking at 90 or so cups of lettuce - which is a s**t load. The comparison is invalid.

For people on a plant based diet, beans, nuts and grains are where you get our protein and calories from, and they are easily better than bacon in terms of greenhouse emissions per calorie.

Looks like Grill'd (who offer vegan and vegetarian options) has upset vegans over here in WA
Something about a sign saying
"Our cows are vegan so you don't have to be"
Vegans calling for a boycott of Grill'd

Looking forward to Jewish restaurants selling bacon. "Our pigs eat kosher so you don't have to".

I have been a vegetarian for twenty years - I find it mystifying why meat-eaters hate people who have made a personal choice for ethical reasons.
I'm absolutely fine with somebody making a choice but don't pretend you are making a change. If you don't eat meat because you dislike the treatment of animals (I've seen documentaries, I know it can be s**t), that's the most passive way of going about the problem. If you truly wanted to do something about it you'd become one of these people that call out bad abattoirs or you would buy meat from places you know treat the animals well (I intend to move towards this).

It's the "high and mighty" vegetarians that annoy us. You are no more helping the treatment of those animals than any meat eaters are. You eating a carrot is not saving a cow no matter which way you slice it. Your protest is silent and meaningless.

/rant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back