News Simonds Stadium stage 3 redevelopment - Players Stand, big screen and new lights

Remove this Banner Ad

417291_410088682381575_1115702205_n.jpg

Wonder what type of effect the hole where the Peter Street Stand is going to be will have on the goal kicking?

I shouldnt have to much effect. The predominant winds over footy season are from the north to the south west. That stand area is effected by winds from the south east which rarely occur in winter, moreso summer. So i would say that the wind would not have to much effect on there being no stand there.

Put the Peter Street Stand back up again. What's the joke again , something like ..it looks flimsy , looks like its about to be blown over by a gust of wind , its temporary and there has to be a better alternative.

I think the line is "temporary and fragile" in regards to the Peter Street stand.

Does anyone have blueprints or "artistic impressions" on the new stand? more-so the hole there? Surely the stand will continue to the walk way??? Or a big scoreboard/screen?

Lol still looks like a bomb site. Thanks for the pic tho. :thumbsu:

Does anyone have blueprints or "artistic impressions" on the new stand? more-so the hole there? Surely the stand will continue to the walk way??? Or a big scoreboard/screen?

Yes I would like to see these too if anyone has them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new stand is to be known as The Players Stand

The Geelong Cats are pleased to announce Simonds Stadium’s newest stand within the stage 3 redevelopment will be named the ‘Players Stand’.

The stand, due to be completed in May 2013, will represent all players to have played for the club in its 153 years.

Geelong Cats chief executive Brian Cook said the naming of the stand to encompass all players to have pulled on the blue and white hoops followed the precedent set in the naming of the ‘Premiership Stand’.

“It is the club’s view that by naming the stand the ‘Players Stand’ we are able to recognise all those who played and sacrificed for the club rather than just an individual.” Cook said.

“The club’s aim is to preserve club values rather than individual achievements and this is reflected in the naming of the Players Stand.”

Cook also noted that Doug Wade, whose name the previous stand bore, would be recognised in the redevelopment with the new entry gate behind the stand to carry his name.

“Doug Wade will join some of the most famous names in the club’s history including Bob Davis, Polly Farmer and Bernie Smith by being immortilised on an entry gate that will see thousands upon thousands of supporters enter through it to watch our modern day heroes play.

To bring the stand to life, a “players’ walk” will be created in the concourse on ground level outside the new past players rooms. The intention is that the area will have a photo of every player to have played with the club and a series of honour boards noting every player also to have played. Also, some interesting information and stories about our players
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/145740/default.aspx

I wonder when they get around to renovating the Ablett terrace whether the new stand would be named The Coaches Stand.
Or the new benches to be known as The Boot Studders Benches

I like the idea of the name though, its about the whole not individuals but I agree, "Players Stand" is pretty ordinary.

Terrible name.
Cats2rise Stand has a better ring to it.

Sicko's Sickorium - complete with S&M brothel and heavy metal bar/band room complete with topless barmaids in the cavernous sub-level should suffice. Complaining members of 'family groups' to be chained upside down inside the band room and spun around by drunks until they spew.:thumbsu:

I reckon I've worked out what will be between the new stand and the race of the opposition.There's the concrete section where the seats will be put back [between the race and the orange net fence you can see],then there's a gap.I reckon that gap is another enterance for vehicles to come on the ground.Most likely an ambulance might be there on game days as it's right by Moorabool St and easy access for it to get out quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back