So where now for Cox?

Remove this Banner Ad

Theres been some news floating round of Gold coast approaching Coxy as a ruckmen /coach .
Has been doing the rounds for a couple of weeks now, hasnt been denied by the big man so there could be something in it.
He knows his time at WC is over but still wants to play next year could be the best for both clubs , maybe a third rounder & an upgrade 2nd round pick

Could he just go as a free agent if we don't want to match his contract?

I seriously doubt he will go to Gold Coast and would hate to see him go to any other club if he wont retire. If it ultimately came down to that I would say Coxy we will keep you but we can only guarantee a bit part next year say 7-12 games more if someone is injured. We will then play Lycett first and Cox will backup for the injuries. Could just see him to 300

I seriously doubt he will go to Gold Coast and would hate to see him go to any other club if he wont retire. If it ultimately came down to that I would say Coxy we will keep you but we can only guarantee a bit part next year say 7-12 games more if someone is injured. We will then play Lycett first and Cox will backup for the injuries. Could just see him to 300
What's the point then. He is clearly passed it. Id like to see him go one on one with Paul Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised if he got beat by him in a game. He still has the skills he just doesn't have the impact or the body to go around.
When you're playing for frees as a number one way to get kicks. You're done.

Got this from todays Herald Sun, discussing the old blokes on AFL lists.

Darren Glass has already pulled the pin and Matt Priddis is in contract and remains West Coast’s best midfielder. Dean Cox is 14 games shy of 300, but has been managed at times during this season and through Nic Naitanui, Scott Lycett and Callum Sinclair, West Coast has strong ruck stocks. Some experts suspect the 32-year-old (33 next month) is being squeezed out to avoid the loss of South Australian Lycett.

I hear from people that the SA clubs are willing to throw a s**t load toward Lycett soon when his contract is up. I hope we can convince him to stay, and giving him game time (ahead of Cox) is now a priority.
Cox has been awesome for us, but I don't want him to do a Jonno Brown.

FWIW I had no Idea Priddis is 30?

W

Darren Glass has already pulled the pin and Matt Priddis is in contract and remains West Coast’s best midfielder. Dean Cox is 14 games shy of 300, but has been managed at times during this season and through Nic Naitanui, Scott Lycett and Callum Sinclair, West Coast has strong ruck stocks. Some experts suspect the 32-year-old (33 next month) is being squeezed out to avoid the loss of South Australian Lycett.

I hear from people that the SA clubs are willing to throw a s**t load toward Lycett soon when his contract is up. I hope we can convince him to stay, and giving him game time (ahead of Cox) is now a priority.

Priddis trade to GC, will still be in his prime and in their window. Won't have to kick, just feed it out to Harley Bennell.

Arrgghh...... yes that's understandable you must have been fooled by his blistering pace and just assumed that he was much younger.;)

What's the point then. He is clearly passed it. Id like to see him go one on one with Paul Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised if he got beat by him in a game. He still has the skills he just doesn't have the impact or the body to go around.
When you're playing for frees as a number one way to get kicks. You're done.
Your right theres not much point it would be purely sentimental just wouldn't want him to go to another club. Would be great for him to announce his retirement on his own terms and we have a big send off and celebration. I like the send off game we've missed a couple with our big stars in the past few years. Id prefer he didn't go one on one with Johnson better to keep the champs shining in the sun!

Your right theres not much point it would be purely sentimental just wouldn't want him to go to another club. Would be great for him to announce his retirement on his own terms and we have a big send off and celebration. I like the send off game we've missed a couple with our big stars in the past few years. Id prefer he didn't go one on one with Johnson better to keep the champs shining in the sun!
Best case scenario for us would be to announce his retirement, have a send off game. Then get's lured to be a player at gold coast and leave as a free agent. We get a compo pick then before pre-season announces he just isn't up to it and begins coaching.

Let's hope Priddis retires soon too..

Imagine if Cox only decides to retire after Lycett's decided to leave (in the post season), I guess we might be okay with Naita and 3 part time rucks in Sinkers, Gov and McInnes (if he survives the cut)? :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Lycett over Coxy right now, but it would be a tragedy if Cox played his 300th game for another club. It just wouldn't be right.
Would you rather Cox play his 300th at another club, or not make it entirely?

I'd prefer the former.

If it is beneficial to Nic Nat to rest his archilles then we should do it. WCE don't really have a good track record when it comes to dealing with injuries.

Also, I don't think it will cost us anything to rookie list Coxy and support him as much as possible to reach the milestone. But it would take humility on Coxy's behalf to agree to becoming a rookie again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back